It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
(male)

SupraMan HB User
Not 'serious' causes of palpable supraclavicular (collarbone) lymph nodes?

Pretty much all medical sites I've been to make them sound so scary. Something about serious heart disease, lung problems, cancer, etc. They say that even if it is small, just if its palpable is a cause of concern.

Now, I have a palpable lymph node right behind my right collarbone, (when I'm standing/sitting with my back straight and arms down.) Its been there for a couple months; then again, I've only learned what lymph nodes were in October of last year. So, it could've been there for much longer periods of time without me knowing it. Its probably at most only about .5 cm, and palpable.

Is such a small palpable lymph node really that serious? Besides, if I had a bit more fat, I probably wouldn't be able to feel it. (What are the "normal" sizes of them anyway?)

I don't have symptoms of anything else at all. Well, besides other palpable lymph nodes less than 1 cm in diameter. These have all been present for awhile now, at least ever since I learned what a lymph node was. Some on the sides of my neck, and groin. Other than palpable lymph nodes, everything of me seems perfectly fine. No symptoms of any disease, nothing at all. Relatively strong, pretty good cardiovascular endurance, etc.

This really really doesn't seem like cancer, or a serious condition. It seems like nothing. Yet still, I have all these palpable lymph nodes.

Any idea why? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SupraMan; 01-10-2006 at 03:19 PM.

Old 01-11-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
Re: Not 'serious' causes of palpable supraclavicular (collarbone) lymph nodes?

Your lymph nodes sound normal from your description. The size has to do with location. The higher up they are located the larger they usually have to be in order to be of concern. Just being able to feel a lymph node is not a sign of any disease. Most people would not recognize a lymph node if it spoke to them and said,"hi" but a lot of people can feel veins that have some surface volume and assume its a lymph node. Every thing from a cold to a case of acne can cause lymph nodes to swell, but that makes them over 1 cm and a alot of other symptoms go with them. Even a person who swears they have no other symptoms may have them and not think there is any going on. Doctors may do entire physical exams and not find anything extraordinary going on so it is really remarkable that anyone gets a diagnosis from a swollen lymph gland.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2006, 02:01 PM   #3
(female)

weston79 HB User
Re: Not 'serious' causes of palpable supraclavicular (collarbone) lymph nodes?

Hi, I have what sounds to be something very similar to you. I have what feels to be two small lymph nodes joined together which are very movable; they seem to sit behind by collarbone. The strange thing about them is that they are hard yet not stuck to anything so they can be lifted and placed on top and in front of my collarbone. I can also feel what seems to be a vein joined to them.

I have been to the doctors about them, underwent 3 sets of blood test, two chest x-rays and have been sent to a consultant who believes they are cysts and keeps getting me to come back every 3 months.

I have now found the strength inside of myself to ask for a biopsy which I am currently awaiting an appointment and I have been asked to go and have a thyroid test done which probably has something to do with the fact that I have managed to loose over a stone in under 8 weeks without trying and have no loss of apatite.

I would suggest that for piece of mind that you should have your gp take a look at them. The internet can be a very scary place when trying to diagnose yourself and is the information is poorly policed. Mine thus far seem to be nothing; I am having them out for piece of mind more than anything else.

I would be interested in any updates you may want to share.

All the best,

Weston

Closed Thread