It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
(male)

SupraMan HB User
I went to my doctor, but it wasn't very helpful...

I told him I had a bunch of "things" under my skin, which I assumed were lymph nodes. I told him I felt fine though, and had no symptoms of anything. So, he felt around, and after he was done, he told me he "didn't really feel anything". Now, I don't exactly know what he meant... but I assume he meant, "nothing serious".

I had told him there were a two hard ones on both sides of my jaw, but you could only feel it if I flexed me muscle there. He told me not to flex, and be relaxed... so I guess he couldn't feel it then. I told him I had two small ones above my right collarbone, but he never mentioned it after he was done. I have a pretty big (<1 cm) and hard one on the top right side of my neck, but he never mentioned it at all. About the ones near the groin, he said something about ligaments and lymph nodes. Didn't know what he was talking about.

He had me go get a CBC blood test, and some other test for some virus. Basically, it wasn't a good visit, and he didn't really answer any of my questions... All he said was, "you look fine". He seemed to be rushed too, and quickly left before I could ask anything else. Ugh..

Thoughts?

Old 02-17-2006, 04:19 AM   #2
(female)

Debbiefix HB User
Re: I went to my doctor, but it wasn't very helpful...

My only suggestion is to go to a different doctor. When I was diagnosed with a very low grade form of lymphoma this past summer, (after a biopsy) I was told I have had this for at least 20 years. I told my doctors years ago about the enlarged lymph nodes on one side of the groin, and I got the same responses that you got.
You need to see a new doctor who will check this out. By the way, all my blood work, 2 days before my biopsy all came back "normal". Any good doctor knows that lymphoma doesn't always show up in the bloodwork. To this day, my bloodwork is perfect and I've been undergoing monoclonal immunotherapy.....12 treatments so far and I'm waiting for my next CT scan and PET scan in March.
Don't let it end here. You need to see another doctor who will take you seriously.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
(female)

peacecircle HB User

Hi Debbiefix, would you mind telling me what symptoms you had that made you go to the doctor? I know you say you had swollen lymph nodes in the groin but they had been there for years, so were you feeling unwell last summer? I ask because I have a swollen lymph node in the groin, actually on the ligament. The doctor says it is not anything "sinister" but I also have pelvic discomfort. The ultrasound shows nothing more than a slightly enlarged ovary on the left side...the swollen lymph node is on the right side. Some days I feel fine...no discomfort....but other days I am so achy in the abdomen, back and so on. Then it just goes away. My blood tests were all good...but so were yours! Otherwise I feel fine...no fatigue or lack of energy.

Old 03-14-2006, 05:43 AM   #4
(female)

Debbiefix HB User

Hi Peace,
You asked what symptoms I had that made me see a doctor. Actually no symptoms whatsoever. I never felt better in my life. I went for a mammogram and they found enlarged lymph nodes under my arms. The radiologist compared previous mammograms and two years ago, they were a little large, and one year ago they were smaller, but this past year, they were a little large again. I was referred back to my doctor who had a huge amount of bloodwork done, everything came back perfect. I was referred to my PCP who took one look and called the surgeon to set up a biopsy.
They did a frozen section at the hospital and I was diagnosed within 15 minutes with indolent/follicular Non Hodgkins Lymphoma and when I saw the oncologist she said I've had this a very very long time....at least 20 years.

Old 04-27-2006, 01:36 PM   #5
(female)

confused725 HB User

Hi debbie,

I'm sorry for what you've gone through. I hope that you are progressing nicely with treatment.

You mentioned that you had a node in the groin? May I ask how long, how big, ect? Was it hard or soft and moveable & was this a part of your lymphoma?
THX God Bless!

I have a moveable node in the groin for 2 weeks but looks as if its getting smaller. My concern tho is that on the outter sides of my breasts I can feel a few little pea sized nodes that are also very movable (certainly not enlarged) but thyere and I was just wondering if it seems like concern. Especially since they havent grown and the groin is actually gettin smaller.

Thx again

Old 04-28-2006, 05:13 AM   #6
(female)

Debbiefix HB User

All of my lymph nodes are part of my lymphoma. I had the one in the groin for years. All doctors said since I had it that long, it was reactive. Little did they know. It was about 1 centimeter in size. I found out I also had them in my neck, under my arms and that's about it. A couple tiny abdominal ones. I found out I had this when I had a mammogram and the lymph nodes under my arms showed up as enlarged.

Old 04-29-2006, 03:40 AM   #7
(male)

john the bomb HB User

Nodes that are persistent can be caused by a lot of things.Did your doctor ask you a medical history?If you are not happy with the doc,get yourself another one who will take time and listen to you.You are not married to the doctor.Your only obligation is to you and your loved ones.

Closed Thread