It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2006, 09:01 AM   #1
(male)

sensibleman HB User
B-cell small lymphocytic lymphoma/chronic lymphocytic leukemia

At 66 years-old, I recently had a tonsillectomy for non-cancerous reasons. However, the ENT who did the surgery noticed asymmetry and sent my tonsils to a lab. The result is that I have "B-cell small lymphocytic lymphoma/chronic lymphocytic leukemia". With little information to go on, I am going through an emotional roller coaster ride waiting for my first appointment with an oncologist in the next few days.

I noticed that all the searches produce results with one or the other diagnosis for people afflicted with cancer.

Has anyone heard of having both lymphoma and leukemia? My ENT explained how it was to have both in the diagnosis, but I did not comprehend the answer he gave. Can someone clarify what this diagnosis means? Is anyone going through this?

Last edited by sensibleman; 02-18-2006 at 11:28 AM. Reason: typo

Old 02-18-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
(female)

Debbiefix HB User
Re: B-cell samll lymphocytic lymphoma/chronic lymphocytic leukemia

Hi there! I do. I have Non Hodgkins Lymphoma/CLL. I was diagnosed in May at age 53. I had no symptoms and was diagnosed after a biopsy, after finding enlarged lymph nodes during a mammogram. I underwent 4 treatments of Rituxan in July and then 8 treatments of the same in Dec/Jan. Rituxan is a monoclonal immunotherapy that is awesome. You get it as an IV at the hospital, once a week. It kills B-cells, good and bad. You have no side affects, you aren't sick, weak and don't lose your hair. It's the greatest drug. I told my oncologist I'd love to have the stuff once a week for the rest of my life. She said, "No". I will have my CT and PET scans at the beginning of March. All of my lymph nodes have shrunken to normal size. I'll more than likely be having 4 Rituxan treatments every 6 months for 2 years. That's it. No big deal at all.
I remember being in your shoes. This information should put your mind at ease a bit. I live a normal life, with no side affects and no symptoms of any disease. I'm not sick at all. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2006, 11:18 AM   #3
(male)

sensibleman HB User
Re: B-cell small lymphocytic lymphoma/chronic lymphocytic leukemia

You cannot believe what hope you have given me! The diagnosis had put me at such a loss, I did not know what to do. Thank you so much for telling me your story. I will go forward with positive attitude now!

Last edited by sensibleman; 02-18-2006 at 11:23 AM.

Old 02-18-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
(female)

Debbiefix HB User

I felt that I had to tell you my story because I remember the complete terror I felt back in May. I had to wait from May 10th til June 14th to get my biopsy, with many doctor visits and blood work in between. You'll be ok. I know you'll worry, but try to remember it's not as horrible as you were imagining!

Old 02-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dma11663 HB User

Hi

my brother in law was diagnosed with cll/low grade lymphoma too. He was diagnosed 8 years ao. Has been on Rituxin (on and off for 8 years). He is now starting Chop Chemotherapy for 6 mos., they feel they need to treat it more aggressively now.

Hang in there. My brother in law was in his 40's when he was diagnosed, which is young!

Listen to what the doctors tell you.

Will you have treatments or will they just watch and wait with you. If you don't have symptom and it was only detected by a regular blood test you can go for many years without needing any type of treatment.

Good Luck and God Bless.

Closed Thread