It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2006, 06:14 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User
Swollen node in groin - not sure?

Hi,

I'm not sure where the nodes in the groin are located, or what it feels like if enlarged, so here goes.
Last night I had a bit of an itch down there, and I noticed a lump. It's in the crease between my thigh and 'female area'. It seems like it's almost in the skin, as I can move it around quite a bit and almost seems like I can feel the area under it (ie - not attached to anything). It's not too big - maybe about 1-2 cm. It does feel hard, but it doesn't hurt, although I think I have aggrevated the area poking around.

I do a cycle class a couple times a week and the area is prone to sweating, so I'm wondering if I may have developed an ingrown hair or cyst/pimple.

I had a sebacous cyst over the summer, in the vaginal area and it felt similar, so maybe I'm prone the these things in that area.

Thanks for any idea's.

Mary

Old 11-17-2006, 06:38 AM   #2
(male)

Tekkymrc HB User
Re: Swollen node in groin - not sure?

Hi Mary,

I hear your concern, and these are easy to come to us when we feel a lump because it can be such a variety of things that made the lump appear.

From what you described, it seems like it could be in the area where there is lymph nodes. You mentionned you sweat a lot around there because of your cycling classes, it may be related to that.

If it is a lymph node, often they will swell because of an infection and trust me, it doesn't need to be a major infection for the lymph nodes to react! A cat scratch, a nick from shaving, etc... see what I mean.

Around that area, there is always also the possibility of an inguinal hernia.

Might be something else too...

So I would say that your best bet is to take an appointment with your family doctor. If it is an hernia, it is better to get fix soon, because of the risk of strangulation(lack of blood circulation etc...) and if it is swollen gland, then most likely the doc would give you anti-biotic to see if it clears an infection. Might investigate further if it raise concerns.

I would also say to keep an eye on it but to play around with it as little as possible!(keep track if it get bigger, decrease in size, change form, etc...)

Hope it turns out to be nothing serious!, But remember, better be safe than sorry, right!!!

Take care!

Tekkymrc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2006, 12:55 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User

Hi Tekkymrc,

Thanks for your reply. I was able to get in to the Dr. today. Turns out it's a cyst. I had a feeling it was something like that, since I don't really have other symptoms and I can move it around easily. She gave me a antibiotic and said to hot pack it, and it should go away.
Good luck with your consultation next week - I saw your previous post. Hiope all goes well for you.

Mary

Old 11-17-2006, 01:03 PM   #4
(male)

Tekkymrc HB User

Thanks for the good luck!!! I am trying to to worry more than necessary as I won't know faster anyways if there is something to worry about lol...

I am glad to hear it is a cyst and not something more serious!

Take care

Tekkymrc

Old 11-21-2006, 04:52 PM   #5
(female)

josie65 HB User

Hi I have been in pain for over a week now,my sister talked me in to going to the hosptil today.I was thinking that it could be a blood clot in my left leg.But the doctor did a ulter sound on both of my legs and found out it wasn't.My leg had swollen only in the groin and it hurts really bad.the test came back and he said that it showed that my lymph node was enlarged and hard and it could be cancer,that he wants me to have a biopcy.I know I spelled it wrong but anyway I will be going after Thanksgiving and having it tested to see if there is any cancer.You should go to the doc's and make sure.Don't want to set and wait for it to get bigger.wish you look.Josie

Old 11-22-2006, 06:31 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User

Hi Josie,

I'm sorry you are having so much pain. Years ago, my son had a very enlarged node (golf ball size or bigger), in his armpit. He was only 17 and I just happened to see it one day when he was wearing a tank top. I was so upset with him for not telling me about it. Anyway, he had antibiotics and that didn't help and it was hard, so the Dr. couldn't aspirated in the office (he tried), so off to surgury he went. They removed it, and tested, and it turned out to be cat scratch fever. (yes we have cats - who loved his room).
Just wanted to tell the story, because it's not always cancer. I did see the Dr. about my lump, and she said it's a cyst and gave me antibiotics. It's gone down quite a bit - almost unnoticeable now.

Good luck with your biopsy. I'm sure you'll be fine and try not to worry too much.

Mary

Old 11-22-2006, 09:03 AM   #7
(male)

Tekkymrc HB User

Just wanted to say good luck with your biopsy. I have too swollen lymph nodes in the groin area, right side and going to see a surgeon about it this friday. My family doctor said she wanted a biopsy to rule out any potential serious problems although she said it was unlikely.

I had it for quite a while now (1-2 month) and the first two weeks it was giving me pain. She did a cat scan to check that and other stuff I had trouble with at the same time and ruled out the possibility of an hernia at least. She called me 3 days after the scan to give me the good news and said it was probably from an infection and prescribed some anti-biotic. It did made it go down in size a bit but it is still there and didn't shrink at all since then... the top is hard as a rock and the bottom is rubbery and the whole thing won't move around at all... so ya... I am worried about it also cause of other symptoms I have been having but I am trying just to get the tests done and not over worry about it til then.

Keep a good attitude and hopefully the test of the biopsy will come up with a not so serious reason why your lymph nodes got swollen, ill keep ya in my thoughts!

Tekkymrc

Old 11-27-2006, 05:27 PM   #8
(female)

josie65 HB User

Hi Mary,

I go to the doctors tommrow to see what he thinks of it,The doc at the hosptil gave me some antiibiotics and something else nothing seems to be helping it,I did get a cat in September but it hasn't bite me or anything like that,and it don't put his claws in me so I don't know what it could be,It hasn't went down and it is still hard.I hope they can tell me what it is soon.Thanks for the help.Josie

Old 11-28-2006, 06:40 AM   #9
(male)

Tekkymrc HB User

hello,
its hard to have to wait for an answer, when the harsh possibilities running around in your mind like crazy... Just take it one day at the time, could be an infection or could be lymphoma or could be some other thing but either way, right this second, there is no way to tell. a biopsy will probably bring out an answer and once you know, no matter what it is, you can get through it with the help of the doctor and support of your family and friends. Keep your head up and know that I am thinking of you! Hopefully the biopsy will bring up good news and lift up your worries!

Keep us posted,

Tekkymrc

Old 08-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
(female)

Bonnieatca HB User
Swollen Lymph Node - Groin Area right side

I noticed a lump in my groin area on the right side about 2 weeks ago and it started out the size of a pea and then after a week it got bigger and bigger. The shape changed like the shape of a large bean, and became longer. It's very hard to the touch and tender to the touch. Sometimes it hurts when I walk but not always.

I had an ultra sound done and my doctor and the ultra sound tech said it was so hard and deep it almost looked like muscle, but she did say there was no fluild. I am still waiting for my doctor to call me back on the ultra sound results because I have been a little worried about it too.

I also have an appointment on 8/26/08 to have a sample extracted with a needle. I wish I didn't have to wait so long, but most doctors are very busy. I did however notice that since I haven't bothered it much lately it is starting to go down but it's not gone completely.

I really want to know what the lump is too. My doctor said she's never seen a lump so deep in that area before. I tend to panic too because my sister went through breast cancer in the past two years.

Closed Thread