It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2006, 11:09 AM   #1
(female)

anilorak HB User
Normal bloodwork?

Is it possible to have lymphoma and have normal red and white blood cell counts? I am worried about some of my symptoms, and waiting on the results of some other blood tests..

Old 12-14-2006, 11:31 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

fairy-lights HB User
Re: Normal bloodwork?

What are your symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2006, 11:42 AM   #3
(female)

anilorak HB User

Here are my symptoms:

-frequent illness over the last few months (which often cause painful glands under my jaw and right below the ear)
-fatigue.. feel like I need a nap by 10 am.
-painless, swollen lymph gands, different from those painful ones when I'm sick: cervical lymph glands on right side, swollen in a hard, immobile mass 2 inches long. Also have some hard, painless glands above the collar bone.
-swollen lymph glands cause earaches
-frequent nausea
-occassional chills

Old 12-14-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

fairy-lights HB User

Read my thread (lump on neck with swollen spleen) and tell me if you feel the same, I have had similar symptoms plus others, and yesterday my consultant said he wants to do a biopsy and a bone marrow sample.

Old 12-16-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
(female)

anilorak HB User

Fairy-lights, my symptoms aren't nearly as severe as yours.

I should mention, however, that I've been feeling worse. A new lump popped up under the 2 inch one, and I can feel a lump above my right clavicle. In addition, I've been having abdominal discomfort for the last few days. It's mild, diffuse pain that comes and goes. It's mostly on either side of my belly button, and in my lower left quadrant. I've also felt this same type of pain in my upper chest. It's not gas, or constipation. My BMs are fine, and it's not PMS as far as I know.

I probably won't get my lab results until monday or tuesday, though I don't even know if they tested for relevant stuff. I know they're testing my thyroid. After my basic blood counts were done, the PA looked over the results and said that it's not lymphoma or leukemia because my WBC counts were fine..

Is it okay to go back to the doctor's office before my lab results come in? I'm thinking of going in tomorrow..

Old 12-16-2006, 03:06 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

fairy-lights HB User

Hi anilorak

Go back to your GP, let me know how you got on. I seem to have a lump on a lump? the bottom lump in my neck is larger with a smaller one on top, I can't explain it.

Please let me know how you get on, I feel it is a comfort to realise I am not on my own and their are others who are experiencing similar symptoms to me, If I can be of any help to you, or if you have any questions I will try and help you out as best as I can. If you are not satisfied with the outcome from your doctor ask for a second opinion, I was told by a doctor that sometimes it won't show up in blood tests and only the white cells will show up in a biopsy of the lump. My bloods keep coming back clear. Only you yourself know how ill you feel and the changes you are going through with your symptoms. Sometimes I feel so ill, I no longer feel as if I have the strength to argue with the doctors, I kept on and now they are taking me seriously!!.
Keep trying, ask to be referred to a physician or someone else by your doctor, take a friend or relative with you who can help explain that you are ill and shouldn't be experiencing these symptoms, and if they think it's not something keep on at them to find out what it is!!

I will keep you in my thoughts. Let me know how you get on.

Take care

Susie x

Old 12-16-2006, 04:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User

Yes. The blood work in lymphoma is often normal if you are referring to the complete blood count. However other blood work such as protein counts and bilirubin and blood calcium levels can be off(not necessarily out of range.) So do not rely too heavily on blood work. The definitive diagnosis on lymphoma comes from tissue biopsy.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:06 PM   #8
(female)

anilorak HB User

I think I might go to my GP in the morning, even though my lab results won't be back for a while. On the other hand, I am worried that I won't be taken seriously, especially at age 22. The last time I went to the hospital KNOWING that I had appendicitis, they sent me home with a diagnosis of "eating too much chocolate over Easter." 24 hours later, I was in surgery!

The abdominal discomfort I'm feeling is weird.. it doesn't stay in one spot, and there's no tenderness to the touch. Like I said before, it's off and on all day. I know that no two cases are the same, but could somebody who's had lymphoma-related abdominal pain tell me what their experience was with it? I'm wondering whether something lymphoma related would produce a more constant, fixed, and tender pain in the abdomen?

I DON'T want to be a hypochondriac, or come off as one to my GP. After my appendectomy, I swore that the next time, I would wait for my symptoms to be obvious before going in.. but I know that's not the best plan. I just don't want them to tell me it's gas and that I need a laxative, since I know my body, and I know this is abnormal.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:34 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

fairy-lights HB User

I suffer with pain on the left side of the abdomen, it used to be there for a few days and then not be so noticeable, it would be worse at night as I was unable to sleep on that side or on my front, my pain has gotten worse, and now I am in pain all of the time on that side, my breathing has been effected, and my neck hurts more often at the moment.

As I have said before, you know your body, and if it doesn't feel right, it usually means it's not!! Go to your GP and perhaps make up a diary of your illness, when you feel like it gets worse, what you have eaten, etc, that way it helps the doctors.

I am only 29 and I understand it is horrible feeling ill, and low!

Good luck keep me posted Susie x

Old 12-19-2006, 09:31 AM   #10
(female)

anilorak HB User

Well, I spoke to my GP on the phone last night. My labs were back. Seems like they tested my metabolic stuff, glucose, and for the epstein-barr virus. Everything was negative, but I showed antibodies to the epstein-barr virus, which is weird because I don't remember ever getting mono. Those are the same, right?

I told her my lump was still there, and she asked me to come in and get it checked out. I may go in on Friday, since I have the day off. I figure that will give it some more time to de-swell or whatever, if that's the case. Going to stop panicking until I hear more from the GP then. I have a lot going on in my life right now, so I'm just going to hope for the best. Sorry to sound silly, but an illness would be really inconvenient right now.

One question though.. if the lymph node is just swollen due to infection, etc.. is there anything I can do at home to make it go down? Ibuprofen? Ice? I've tried both and so far it hasn't helped.. Thanks for listening guys! I'll keep you informed.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:58 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

fairy-lights HB User

Hi there

I'm glad your bloods came back ok, not sure about the Epstein-Barr-virus one though, ask your GP she seems good!

I have been back to see my consultant tonight, my one blood test was higher than it should be, and so was my inflammation marker. I am seeing the ENT consultant tomorrow, I was only referred today, they want to take a biopsy of the lump in my neck.

On the 5th Jan I've got have an x ray of my small bowel, I have to pica lax, it's horrible!

I hope your feeling more positive, keep me posted.x

Old 12-20-2006, 01:27 PM   #12
(female)

anilorak HB User

I went into my GPs afterall. She explained the EBV thing better this time.. Seems like there's EBV still in my system, although it's inactive. (I did test negative for mono). She said I was exposed to it 2 weeks-3 months ago. I'm supposed to go back in 2-3 weeks if the swollen lymph node doesn't go down. They'll refer me to a surgeon for a biopsy then. Hopefully it will go down. The EBV definitely explains my fatigue (it's been bad the last few days..).

I'm still a little concerned about the lymph gland though. Doesn't seem like it should be so hard, fixed, painless, etc. if it's just a viral infection. I guess I'll find out either way in a few weeks.

Fairy-lights, I'm glad you're getting your biopsy. That should shed some light on your condition. Good luck!

Last edited by anilorak; 12-20-2006 at 01:28 PM.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:30 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

fairy-lights HB User

Hi anilorak

I haven't heard any thing from you for a while I hope that you are OK?

My surgery is scheduled for this Wednesday the 17th Jan. The ENT consultant said my left node on the side of my neck is larger than normal and I have inflammation of the Lingual tonsils. I am not worried I don't think they'll find much!

I had another out-burst of blisters again, my consultant said when I have the strength he'll send me to a dermatologist to find out what's going on.

I saw the pain-consultant on Thursday and he is writing to my GP to instruct them to give me oral-morphine.

Let me know how you are getting on in your quest for answers.

Best wishes

Susie x

Closed Thread