It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
(female)

greenboy HB User
Angry DNR-Is my doctor right?

My husband has lymphoma.(greenboy)he went in to have a chest tube put in to drain the fluid from around his lungs. My mother noticed thatDNR (Do Not Recesitiate) was on his medical chart. I asked the nurse and she had to call the OR and have the DNR deactivated for the surgery. When the doctor was questioned about it, he said that my husband could not survive being shocked so the doctor put DNR on his chart.We did not sign anything. Any advice? Does this doctor have the legal right to make this decision?

Old 01-23-2007, 04:09 PM   #2
(female)

beckyb46 HB User
Re: DNR-Is my doctor right?

No he does not That is very much a legal issue. Did he have one before? The Dr. should have informed you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2007, 10:22 PM   #3
(female)

canadadiva HB User

That is VERY inappropriate for the doc to make your husband a DNR without talking to your husband or to you. And very unprofessional in my opinion. I would definately speak to him about this.

Old 01-27-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Ails HB User

Hi Sweetie

I'm from the UK so I have no idea if he has the right from a legal standpoint.

From a moral standpoint I would say a resounding NO. If you and your husband do not wish to have DNR attached to his chart then it shouldn't be there. You have every right to fight for what is rightfully yours - the right to fight this every single step of the way

Good luck

Ails xx

Old 01-29-2007, 05:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ails View Post
Hi Sweetie

I'm from the UK so I have no idea if he has the right from a legal standpoint.

From a moral standpoint I would say a resounding NO. If you and your husband do not wish to have DNR attached to his chart then it shouldn't be there. You have every right to fight for what is rightfully yours - the right to fight this every single step of the way

Good luck

If I am reading this conversation the right way, Your physician told you that it would kill your husband if his heart beat had to be restored by shocking. A DNR keeps the personnel from using that method to start a heartbeat. There are also other ways that are less forceful and would not necessarily kill the patient while trying to revive them. Please go back and discuss this with your doctor. The DNR may have other clauses in it showing what medical procedure is acceptable. The DNR itself is a red flag warning for techicians and nurses who do not know your husbands history as well as you and your doctor do.

Ails xx

Last edited by Merimac; 01-29-2007 at 05:37 AM.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dma11663 HB User

Greenboy....

How is your husband? I wrote you on another thread an asked if you had gone to Sloan Kettering in NY? The treat patients with the most advanced trials?

How is he doing?

Closed Thread