It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2007, 09:42 PM   #1
(female)

*Nicola HB User
Red face Very Swollen and Painful under left rib cage!! Help

Hi ladies! I have a question. If you have read my posts you will know that I am having an ultrasound of my abdomen on Monday afternoon, because I have been having light pain on my left side under my rib cage. Well, ever since I had my appt. with my oncologist on Thursday that area has been really, really sore. I think because he was pushing down on it. Well, now that area is swollen on the outside, (which it never was before) and it hurts horribly. Its like a huge bulge, its really heavy, and when I move in certain positions it feels like something is stuck in there moving against my rib cage. Its also starting to bruise. I didn't get hit in the stomach or anything like that, and I have been feeling horrible today and light headed. So, I was wondering if this is anything urgent. Do I need to go to the hospital or call me doctor, because I am not supposed to see him until Friday. I am sorry if this is a stupid question!

I would really appreciate any replies if you have time. Thank you!

~Nicola

Last edited by *Nicola; 06-02-2007 at 10:50 PM.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:27 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

fairy-lights HB User
Smile Re: Very Swollen and Painful under left rib cage!! Help

Hi Nicola,

That is exactly where my pain is, and my bulge is all down the one side going round to my back, I am sympathetic regarding the positions making the pain worse, I can't lie down on my left side, right side or on my back, and I have difficulty sitting as it feels like it's being pushed up into my chest.

It's so uncomfortable, and the pain goes into my shoulder and chest and radiates round to my back.

I don't understand the bruising, it could be due to the consultant pressing down on the area.

If I touch the left side of my abdomen it feels rock hard, my right side is soft.

My whole abdomen looks really swollen at the moment and I look about eight months pregnant, make that nine.

Do you get a stitch like pain as well I am sorry that you are having to go through this.

I would love to know what is causing it all, it worries me as well, I will help you as much as i can, and may be you can do the same.

all the best susie xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2007, 02:20 AM   #3
(female)

byHizgrc HB User
Re: Very Swollen and Painful under left rib cage!! Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairy-lights View Post
Hi Nicola,

That is exactly where my pain is, and my bulge is all down the one side going round to my back, I am sympathetic regarding the positions making the pain worse, I can't lie down on my left side, right side or on my back, and I have difficulty sitting as it feels like it's being pushed up into my chest.

It's so uncomfortable, and the pain goes into my shoulder and chest and radiates round to my back.

I don't understand the bruising, it could be due to the consultant pressing down on the area.

If I touch the left side of my abdomen it feels rock hard, my right side is soft.

My whole abdomen looks really swollen at the moment and I look about eight months pregnant, make that nine.

Do you get a stitch like pain as well I am sorry that you are having to go through this.

I would love to know what is causing it all, it worries me as well, I will help you as much as i can, and may be you can do the same.

all the best susie xx
This sounds so much like me. I don't know what the deal is though. I just posted in this board & a couple others to get some feed back. You can check it out & see what's going on. As far as the pain goes, that's totally me, but I don't really have the bulgy thing going on. It does feel... I don't know... kinda knotty or swollen at times. Like I feel wierd if I bend to that side or lay on it. Does that make sense? I take it neither of you know why this is happening?

Old 12-28-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
(male)

lukewarmandboth HB User
Re: Very Swollen and Painful under left rib cage!! Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairy-lights View Post
Hi Nicola,

all the best susie xx
I'm sorry to bump this so long after it was posted, but I just came across it. I have identical symptoms. All along my left side, along my ribcage all the way down towards my hip, it seems tight. It feels totally different than the right side. Also, a little further up on the same ribcage, there is clear inflammation in a couple places. I get sharp pain sometimes and dull pain the rest of the time. I also feel it all the way to my chest.

Like you, I can no longer lie on my left side at all, as it feels like I am crushing myself, can't breathe and feel pain all the way to my abdomen.

Did you ever get better? Every doctor I've gone to has no idea what it is or calls it costochondritis. That seems unlikely.

Thanks...

Closed Thread