It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer78 HB User
Unhappy 3rd Day After Chemo Worst

Hi Everyone,
I didn't realize all the symptoms that would come & go with chemo.
I was somewhat nauseated yesterday---abdominal slight cramping (which they say is caused by chemo) I've become constipated (urrghh) my shoulder pain is worsened (probably from node removal last month)....Other than that, I'm "good to go!" LOL...
I need to add some levity here- --I realize I sound like gloom & doom.
I guess I didn't realize how crappy chemo can make you feel. I'm hoping this is not the way I'll remain throughout treatment. At this point, I just want to lie around---which has not been the case, until the last few days.
I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that this, too, shall pass.
I also feel my mouth/tongue starting to get a little sore, as I've had problems with herpes in the past. My system is probably freaking out--trying to figure out what to do with so many new chemicals being introduced into me.
I realize everyone is different----but, any positivity, once again...I would certainly LOVE to hear.
Those that have been through this---please advise.
I'm finding my appetite diminishing, too....although toast, soup and ice cream still sound fairly appetizing.
I'm so thankful Fairy-lights is getting attention. I think, had it not been for this forum, she might not have pressed forward so hard.
Thanks, in advance, for any advice I can use....I'm hanging on every word.
S.

Last edited by singer78; 06-04-2007 at 09:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Ails HB User
Re: 3rd Day After Chemo Worst

Omigod!! I forgot about constipation - sorry - and also severe trapped wind. Remember one night staying at my parent's house clinging onto the upstairs bathroom door frame willing it to become ..erm, free. I got my wish and heard peels of laughter from downstairs - I realised it was loud but not loud enough to be heard at full volume over the TV - it was so loud that mum thought it was dad, who was sat right next to her. I still laugh my head off when I think about it - how childish am I? Still laughing at fart stories

Give it a couple of days and you'll feel fine again

Ails xx

Old 06-04-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer78 HB User

AILS>>>
I was SO hoping to hear from you. You've become such a dear friend with your calming advice. So...I'm following protocol? Why is it, that you always tend to think "you" might be different???? I'm certainly not. I turned into a whiny, poor-ole-thing last night/earlier today---although, I must admit, I'm feeling a little better.
I just gave my husband a long list of "what to do's" for me...
I'm going to try Sinecot S (?) for constipation. Nothing's right, when you can't poo....That can make you one mean *** * * ***! Right?
Isn't that great news, that Susie's getting attention? I was so glad to read her post & hope she receives some answers, finally.
Did you happen to run a low-grade fever after your chemo treatments?
I think I am.... They told me to take Tylenol, but a nurse just advised me to switch to Aleve for my shoulder pain. I'm afraid I'm damaging my liver, with so much med's & I don't really want to drink a lot of water, cause it makes me queasy.
BOY am I going to celebrate the end of this year, when all is "said and done."
I wish I could "fast forward" my life---until then.... (sigh)
Thanks, Ails.
XO S.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Ails HB User

I think the best advice I can give is listen to your body and give it what it asks for. If you want to whine and give out chores then do so (after all you'll never have a better excuse )

I got incredibly cold when on chemo and a little feverish. You've got to remember that although you're on the way to being cured , you are still getting cell killing toxic drugs pumped into your body and it ain't gonna like it. Don't panic though, the docs know what they're doing and pump in just enough to do a good job !!!!

Use this time to do all the things that you never normally have the time to do. Have a "sex and the city" athon (or other choice of programmes / films) Read mags, knit etc

Was going to say hope you feel better soon but am gonna replace it with "you WILL feel better soon"

Ails xx

Old 06-04-2007, 10:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer78 HB User

Hi Again,
I just can't believe what a "whiner" I am...
I'm usually not so obsessed with things, but lymphoma has become my new obsession. I guess it's because I've never been faced with my mortality like this. I've been "down" before, but those times certainly pale compared to this...so, you're right---moan on....
Prior to my diagnosis, I was always hot & cold, hot & cold...especially when nervous. It's getting a little worse, but at least I know what's going on.
Yes, I've got to let the my Onocologist "do his thing" and heal me & administer the proper med's. I have faith in him---but, no one really let me know what these days would be like. Maybe it's because they just don't know & everyone's so different.
I would LOVE to catch up on some things, but, my energy is at an all-time low right now. Even getting up off the couch is hard. I think I'll be a "couch potato" for now---until some energy kicks in....Until then, I'll watch what's on t.v.---which is usually pretty pathetic. I like Oprah---she's on in a few....
How's the exercising coming along? I'm jealous... one of these days I'll be back at it!
XO S.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Ails HB User

Course you will!!

Hot and cold is normal - most of the the time I was cold and then at THE most inappropriate moments get a humdinger of a hot flush - literally had sweat pouring down my face - like in that film with Lesley Neilson - "airplane"

Right - catch ya later, have to go to dental appt (open late night on a monday??!!)

Take care and enjoy just chilling watching a bit of Oprah

Ails xx

Old 06-04-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer78 HB User

I can't believe how easy it is to lose these posts...I just lost one to you about the movie, "Airplane"...
One wrong move---
Hope your dentist appt. goes well. I wish I would've kept my appt's prior to now....I'm about a year behind, and they say chemo plays havoc with everything -- including teeth. I just have to be extra good & brush, brush, brush..
Please stay in touch.
I just ate some pudding & soup with crackers.
I'm feeling better.....thanks for all the valuable info, as always.
S.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:04 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Ails HB User

Make sure that you get some medicated mouth wash - you'll thank me later

Ails xx

Old 06-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer78 HB User

OH dear...
This seems to be getting harder & harder.
I should probably get the mouthwash without alcohol, right?
I think there's one called "Biotene" or something like that...
I've also given up my Tylenol's for Aleve & that seems to be working on my shoulder better. I've never felt so many weird things going on---it's like a super-duper low grade flu bug, that just wanders around on my body, from place to place. I hope I'm strong enough to conquer this--- I know...I'm slipping some the last few days. I guess I just wasn't aware of how bad I was going to feel. I already feel isolated from the world, and I'm not very far into this--- I wish I had a sunnier outlook today---maybe the rain has something to do with it...although, we needed rain to cool us down. We've had high temp's the last few days, and since I've got a low-grade fever, I'm welcoming the coolness.
S.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Ails HB User

The mouthwash I used was oraldene? Ask your pharmacist - I'm sure he/she will recommend something

Rain always gets me down (unless I'm in Singapore then I love love love it!!)

You're gonna have days when you feel a bit sorry for yourself - you wouldn't be human if you didn't. You'll probably get a little more tired and have more weird and wonderful symptoms. It becomes easier to deal with though coz after each session you can cross that off and say "I only have to do this another x number of times" Soon you'll be down to a one handed wave, then a 4 finger wave, then pretty soon you'll be flicking cancer the birdie (middle finger)

Ails xx

Last edited by Ails; 06-04-2007 at 03:25 PM.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:36 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

DebM412 HB User

Ails,

You are so funny!!! Birdie finger fly!

Deb

Old 06-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Ails HB User

Glad to be of service!

Ails xx

Old 06-04-2007, 04:16 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer78 HB User

I know I'm being a bit dramatic....
I just saw a special on War Veteran's (they were actually quite young) that had lost an arm, a leg, etc.. and were running a tri-marathon for good causes. It made me think I'm acting like a big selfish baby! They kept expressing how you have to focus on the POSITIVE! I lost sight, but I'm trying to get it back. I guess I just didn't know what to expect with chemo.
Thanks. You all help so much. (especially you, Ails)....
S.

Last edited by singer78; 06-04-2007 at 04:20 PM.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #14
(female)

loumz01 HB User

Ails, Thats just how I dealt with my chemo. I counted out the days. I always got sick on the sixth day and was sick six days. I would count on my fingers how many sick days I had left. Each chemo treetment was easier to handle and after it was over, I forgot about it. While I was sick though, I swore I would not do chemo again. I was in pain, I cried, I had hot flashes from he**. My fingers and hands went numb and I barely made it to the bathroom on time. well....once I didn't make it. But like I said. I forgot it very fast, kinda like havin a baby. lol miss Lou

Closed Thread