It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2007, 07:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer78 HB User
Unhappy Establishing a pattern through chemo (?)

Hi All,

I had the roughest day/afternoon/night yesterday & the day before, since the beginning of my chemo. My question for the forum is:

Does anyone know...Is there a "pattern" throughout your chemo---?
Like, Day # 1, was not too bad... Day #2, tolerable...aches & pains.... Day #3 same as Day #2, etc... I noticed that my 5th & 6th day, due to stomach upset, was "the pits." --Totally crappy day, spent completely in bed.
I could function earlier, somewhat, until it hit my stomach---that achey, nauseous feeling affected EVERYTHING! I even had a hard time with a bland diet---I tried (yuck) mashed potatoes, crackers, gingerale,---the ONLY thing that saved my life last night, were fruit popsicles! The coldness felt great, too.

What I'm wondering about, is: Will this pattern happen again after the next chemo? I really wish I could establish a pattern, because maybe that way, not only will I be able to treat it properly with med's, but I'll know more what to expect.

Thanks. Any input, I'd appreciate, as I'm trying to retain as much of my life-before-chemo as I can. I'm feeling much better today, but as I type, I'm aware of the grumbling, gurgling in my tummy & praying that it's not another "down" day. (sigh) I guess it may be another fruit popsicle day.

S.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:24 AM   #2
(female)

BeachJen HB User
Re: Establishing a pattern through chemo (?)

{{{{Singer}}}}

I'm so sorry you are having such down days. But chemo does that to you. I'm not sure what kind you have but I had diffuse large B-cell NHL and I was on some pretty horrid chemo.

My experience was days 1 and 2 weren't too bad. I mostly complained of extreme fatigue. My worse were days 3-5 with the nausea and vomiting. I tried to get calories in me by Boost and Ensure but even that didn't settle right. After like the 6th or 7th day I started to feel a bit better.

And unfortunately this was the pattern after each treatment. Some tolerate it better than others but I wasn't one of the lucky ones.

I hope you're feeling better today and the grumbling goes away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer78 HB User

Jen,
So there is a pattern??
I have "Hodgkin's" stage 2A and am on "ABVD" chemo, 7 more treatments.
I know...here I am, after the 1st one, freaking out. My heart goes out to anyone doing chemo---I had NO idea that it could be so severe. But, again-- a positive outlook helps, as well as receiving info from everyone here.
It helps to know what's up, before hand, I guess. Maybe I can plan my life a little better now. When the stomach "thing" hits, it's pretty debilitating, isn't it? "This, too, shall pass"---is my motto.
Thanks.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
(female)

BeachJen HB User

You seem to have a good attitude Singer and yes, it's so important to stay positive. Mine was in Stage 3 when they found it and I had R-CHOPS. Then before the transplant I had ICE which really did a number on me.

This too shall pass Singer you're right. Just think only 7 more and I'm hoping and praying that after it's all over you'll hear the magic word "REMISSION".

Old 06-10-2007, 09:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer78 HB User

My goodness...it sounds like you had a rough time.
I'm so glad people like you come on this forum with your great diagnosis!
It gives us all hope, I'm sure.
Actually, I was told "Hodgkin's" is one of the rare cancers that actually has a "cure" rate. I'm so praying for that....
At first, they told me 100% by my ENT, then after extensive tests, I was told 85% curable! There's a risk for secondary cancers, from what I understand, but there's risks with just about ANYthing we do, right?--Even crossing the street!
Thanks for the positive outlook.
I'm drinking gingerale & hoping today is better---tummy-wise.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
(female)

BeachJen HB User

I'm so glad that I can be of some help Singer. I'm not sure about Hodgkin's but with the type I had remission is a good thing.

I try to stay positive myself but deep down I'm scared to death. My oncologist told me that if I'll relapse it will be within 2 years. Now I'm constantly checking my neck for enlarged nodes and it's driving me crazy.

Any more questions ask away. I'm heading off to a picnic. Gosh, you have no idea how good those words sound.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:44 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer78 HB User

A picnic????
That's a great thing! Hope you have a great time & eat lots of watermelon!
XO

Old 06-10-2007, 10:14 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Ails HB User

Hey Singer

I as tired for 3 days after - then it was monday and off to work for the week so didn't really think about it!! Not being much use to you at the moment am I?

I think I just don't seem to notice things. Even when I was in hospital with neutropenia I was like "can't I just go to work and come back on an evening? Why not? Well, how about shopping..................Waaah I'm bored" It was then that I spat my dummy out and threw all my toys out of the pram!!

Ails xx

Old 06-10-2007, 10:56 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer78 HB User

Ails,
I have a feeling you have a stronger "constitution" than me.
I've always been a little on the sickly side---had lots of colds when I was little...missed a lot of school....Then, because I'm a 'singer,' over-used my voice/throat---was in a lot secondary smoke (I, myself did not smoke)...
I also developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome in my 30's. It runs in our family. I think that may be why I'm having a hard time with my tummy right now.
It's a little better today, but not completely gone. I have to SO watch what I put in my mouth. Everything is having a tendency to make me nauseous.
I'm glad you seemed to breeze through treatment. That was truly a blessing for you! I'm hoping after 2 or 3 of these, that my body will not react so badly.
I'm going to try and get out today (if my tummy cooperates)-- I've been a pathetic mess the last few days. Wish me luck.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:17 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Ails HB User

I have IBS too but I must admit I have the constitution of an OX. Even during Chemo I was the only one in the office who didn't get a cold. Even now when I do get a cold it lasts for about 24 hourse and everyone else seems to be knocked out for at LEAST a week

My consultant had another view though. He said that I just tend to brush things off and ignore them. They were all laughing at me because about 2 seconds before my "exorcist split pea soup" impression I was laughing and joking - apparantly I was the only one in the room who never noticed that I had turned green and was pulling a "I'm gonna hurl" face. He also said that I would probably be more affected than most because I didn't feel unwell - I had further to fall and because I was never ill it would be a huge shock as I wasn't used to handling illness. He said I would probably end up hating him as he was going to make me feel like s h i t to make me better.

Even when I was in hospital with no immune system I really didn't feel that poorly and after about my 3rd round of making everyone on the ward a cuppa I got pulled to one side and got the whole "do you know how ill you are? You need to slow down" lecture. Let us look after YOU etc etc

Maybe I'm just a bit thick or not very observant? LOL My theory is that I'm far too selfish and stubborn - if I give into these things I'm gonna feel bad and I don't like feeling bad, so I'm not gonna and you can't make me (now sticking out tongue like a surly toddler)

I do feel for you, I've never been sickly and always the picture of health. Do try to keep your spirits up - I know it's tough. You've said yourself that the past month has gone so quickly. This too willl be over before you know it. hang in there and spoil yourself. You're going to have bad days - you're human. I remember crying like a baby coz they wouldn't let me out of the hospital so I do know where you're coming from. I slept for 2 days solid before being admitted and had no energy what-so-ever.

Ails xx

Last edited by Ails; 06-10-2007 at 11:20 AM.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:29 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

pinkmada HB User

Hey, I don't have a pattern. I usually feel nausous anything from 1 to 5 days after treatment. But i have so many stupid side effects and they all vary after every treatment. At the moment i'm having the metal taste which i've only had three times now and the burning wrist which is brand new. Apart from that i feel fine. I usually nap when i get in from the hospital and i'm sometimes tired the next day but i still go to class. Thankfully my fat cravings have subsided a little. I've gained more than 2 stone in the last 3 months. I've never been self conscious about my body before but this week I'm having a 'fat' week. It sucks. And i'm so sick of people telling me that it's a good thing I'm putting on weight!

Hope your well
xxx

Old 06-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #12
(female)

BeachJen HB User

That's amazing that you're putting on weight. You need lots of calories going through chemo so you must be doing something right. I got down to 95 at one time because of the nausea and the metallic taste in my mouth all the time. And I also developed awful mouth sores and couldn't eat anything solid.

Hey Singer, I had a piece of watermelon and thought of you. I hope you're having a better day.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:02 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

pinkmada HB User

thanks. I lost almost 3 stone when they didnt know what was wrong with me. as soon as i started treatment i got my appetite back and was craving fat and carbs. eating stops me feeling nausous! I've put on three stone again and am slightly heavier than before i started losing weight. are you still getting treatment?
xxx

Old 06-10-2007, 05:12 PM   #14
(female)

BeachJen HB User

I'm not sure how much 3 stone is but I guess it was enough. I just never had the urge to eat and lived on Ensure and Boost.

Quote:
are you still getting treatment?
I almost feel guilty posting this because so many are just starting but I'm in remission. I started posting at HB because I have one last hurdle to climb and that's fusion surgery on the 18th. I have virtually no discs left at L4-S1 and I'm having a ALIF with rods and screws next Monday. I'm terrified of this not only because of the surgery but because my immune system is so out of whack I'm afraid I'll get even more infections then I already get. I get a cold and seem to end up in the hospital with pneumonia.

But then I saw the forum for lymphomas and if I can help relieve your anxiousness or concerns I'd be more than willing to.

Last edited by BeachJen; 06-10-2007 at 05:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-10-2007, 06:33 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

fairy-lights HB User
Smile Re: Establishing a pattern through chemo (?)

Hi there BeachJen

I am so sorry about your back, I have arthritis in my lower spine my 3rd and 4th vertebrae were damaged in an accident, and they rubbed together for so long, as no one picked it up for years as the pain i was experiencing was in my left hip and down my leg (wierd)

Please try not to be nervous about surgery, I am sure they will look after you really well.

It's nice of you to offer your experiences to helping people, it's helpful having people to speak to, we usually bombard Ails with questions, (poor woman!).

Any way, all the best I hope you feel some relief soon.

God bless Susie

Closed Thread