It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
(male)

mojorisin29 HB User
Superclavicular lump

Hi,

I have noticed I have a superclavicular lymph area swelling (left side). It feels rubbery and about 3cm in length - the strange thing is its almost like a tube that tapers at both ends. It rests on a tendon in my neck and is slightly mobile. I have been to the doctor and he said lymph node swellings are more pronounced so its nothing to worry about, as did my friends mother who's a 'super nurse'.

The thing is, its not gone down in 2 weeks, its not getting bigger but my neck is sore (i have bad posture though and I work at monitor so its probably that). It fluctuates in size probably because I spend most me day worrying and fiddling with it. Im a 27yr old man, whos a complete hypochondriac and Im worrying myself to death over it.

Is this a warning sign? Should worrying lumps be very hard? its almost rubbery and seems to shrink if I stretch my neck. I haven't lost any weight and feel ok in myself although Im not sleeping well, probably due to worry.

Like I say, Im a paranoid android so any advice would be cherised.
Cheers
Mojo

Old 07-03-2007, 10:19 AM   #2
(male)

caliper HB User
Re: Superclavicular lump

I had to reply to your post. I have the exact kind of mass(tube-like) that you describe at the same location (but on the RIGHT side). Its been there for 3 months now and the weird thing is that it seems to change size and may be even shape through out the day.

Consider yourself lucky that its on the LEFT side. From what I have been reading on some medical websites, a lump over the RIGHT SUPRACLAVICULAR AREA is malignant 90% of the time (one site actually said - 100%). So in a way I have much more to worry about.

My Doctor even refused to try antibiotics for me saying that no organ drains from the right collar bone , therefore it is not infection related.

I am scheduled for an Ultrasound next week and then a biopsy at the end of the month.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2007, 10:27 AM   #3
(male)

caliper HB User

One other thing...try this.

Stand Up...raise your left hand and put your palm on a wall (as if you are trying to push the wall with your left hand). Now try to feel your lump with your right hand. Is it more prominent.

My lump is most prominent in this posture.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
(male)

mojorisin29 HB User

hi caliper,

if I do that exercise the lump basically recedes to nothing. it goes very very thin and elongated. I have some neck pain that has developed today although I think that might be psychosomatic.

What do you think?

Old 07-03-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
(male)

caliper HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorisin29 View Post
hi caliper,

if I do that exercise the lump basically recedes to nothing. it goes very very thin and elongated. I have some neck pain that has developed today although I think that might be psychosomatic.

What do you think?
Does your change size/shape through the day (when felt in the same posture) ?

When I raise my head (look up), mine also gets thin and elongated and barely felt.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
(male)

mojorisin29 HB User

yes it changes shape when i move my head and does slightly in the day, although I mess with it a lot so it could be swelling (im my own worse enemy).

Do you think its something sinister? I don't feel ill, do you? Although I read lymphoma can produce very innocuous symptoms in its early stages; Im by no means saying we have lymphoma though.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #7
(male)

caliper HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorisin29 View Post
yes it changes shape when i move my head and does slightly in the day, although I mess with it a lot so it could be swelling (im my own worse enemy).

Do you think its something sinister? I don't feel ill, do you? Although I read lymphoma can produce very innocuous symptoms in its early stages; Im by no means saying we have lymphoma though.

yes I mess around with it a lot too. In fact I have a red patch on the skin over it from pressing it all the time.

Mine is weird.....it seems to change in size and shape on an hourly basis. I know that sounds crazy. But an Oncologist (no less) confirmed that it was a swollen node . he thought that the size was 0.5 cm.

I do not feel ill...but I have had a myriad of non-specific symptoms in the past 3 years.

It all started out during a period of overhwhelming career related stress and also me being an Hypochondriac (I have huge anxiety issues). Had several tests. Any abnormalities or close to abnormality in the test results would shoot up my anxiety. One thing led to another and I started to develop some "real" problems (gastrointestinal, neurological). Most of my symptoms have come and gone.

My current symptoms are the following :
-Bloating
-very bubbly Urine (I have had 2 normal 24-hr urine tests back in Feb).
-Difficulty remaining asleep.

My abnormal findings are the following :
- Borderline enlarged spleen (has remained the same for 2 years)
- Mildly elevated Billirubin (Had a liver biopsy for this - can you believe it- came back normal)

Old 07-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #8
(male)

mojorisin29 HB User

I too have an anxiety issue, one which I believe to be heraditary / exeggerrated by teenage experimentation. I went through a phase of not being able to stay asleep recently until I was put on SSRI's, they completely fixed the sleep disturbance but this is my second time on them and I had a really hard time coming off them the first time so only see them as a short term solution. I have lots of gastro-intestinal upsets and believe this is completely due to anxiety, afterall your stomach speaks your mind. Im currently prescribed omeprazole.

I know there's a huge possibility that there's nothing wrong with me, that i am probably healthy but worrying about this kind of stuff really is taking up a lot of my time and having a negatuve effect on my life. I need closure.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:18 PM   #9
(male)

caliper HB User

^ Based on my own experience, I feel that a person with Heatlh Anxiety should think twice before taking anti-anxiety meds/anti-depressants Meds. The reason being these meds have their own side-effects(as wells as withdrawals). A Hypochondriac would get more anxious and run to the doctor with symptoms that are essentially side-effects.

I was on lexapro once...and went for a routine check up. All my liver enzymes were up. I feared the worst. Then I decided to get off Lexapro and see if anything changed. Lo and behold - all enzymes were back to normal.

Last edited by caliper; 07-03-2007 at 01:19 PM.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

fairy-lights HB User
Smile Re: Superclavicular lump

Hi Guys,

From what you are both describing it sounds as though it could be your lymphatic tube connecting to the neck if that makes sense?

I have a swollen lymph nodes all over, and the one in my clavicle area, is quite big, but it is round not long, and so are the others, and apart from getting bigger, it doesn't go down or change shape.

I read that it's the left side of the neck that is the worrisome side?, but I wouldn't try to read too much into it, just because they are raised doesn't mean anything untoward is going on.

Just found out, that the right supraclavicular lymph node is located on the right side in the hollow above the clavical, just lateral to where it joins the sternum., common causes of enlargment, lung, retroperitoneal or gastroinestinal cancer.

Left superclaicular lymph node is located on the left side in the hollow above the clavical, just lateral to where it joins the sternum. Common causes of enlargement, lymphoma,thoracic or retroperitoneal cancer, bacterial or fungal infection.

Infected nodes tend to be firm, tender enlarged and warm, inflammation can spread to the overlying skin, causing it to appear reddened, so don't worry, and it's a good sign if they hurt as malignant ones are supposed to be pain free.

Try to remain calm and focused, stop and touching it all the time, plus I have an enlarged spleen, and one cause can be down to depression and worry, so stop if you can, I know it's hard but worrying just makes you worse off.

I hope this has been some help and not frightened you both??

Take care guys, all the best Susie.

Last edited by fairy-lights; 07-03-2007 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Add on!

Closed Thread