It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
(female)

hillbillyhere HB User
Unhappy Waiting for surgeons appt for biopsy

Hello everyone.........well my lump on my neck did not go away with antibotics so my primary is sending me to a surgeon to get a biopsy.....have lump on left side of neck and a smaller one on the right side....one on left side protrudes out and has gotton bigger.......lump does not hurt....just been diaganosis with fibro and ostie artheritis.......also have neck muscle problems...........oh yeah and I am itching all over.......have a bad rash on the back of my neck and my head feels like it is on fire all the time.....anyone have these other symtoms????????

Old 09-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
(female)

hillbillyhere HB User
Re: Waiting for surgeons appt for biopsy

I check this message board everyday and keep hoping for a reply something to look forward too another person that maybe I could reach out too.....I am scared and confused........I hope I get an appt soon with a surgeon and get this biopsy over with I am killing myself with worry and wondering what will happen to my kids if something happens to me........Well I will check back later..........hope to talk to someone tc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
(female)

scoobagirl HB User

hi, I am going through the same thing as you, so I know the frustration and the anxiety. My doctor didn't put me on antibiotics because my white count was normal. I had a sonogram the same day the lump was found, and then a CT 3 days later. I got in with an oncology surgeon the following week, and am having my biopsy tomorrow. Its just been 2 weeks since my lump was found. I will get my biopsy results on Wednesday.

I will be keeping you in my thoughts. I know you're scared. Me too!!!

Jeri in Texas

Old 09-11-2007, 04:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

Hi Hillbilly,
I'm here for you. it takes a little while sometimes to get an answer but they come trickling in.
I'm sorry you're going thru such a stressfull time in your life right now.
I went thru a similar experience back in 1998. I found a lump on the right side of my neck right under the jaw line. I was sent to an ENT who put me on a course of antibiotics, it didn't go away, he sent me for an MRI, than a CT Scan which the radilogist said it was a high suspicion for a lymphoma.

the biopsy did not hurt as bad as I thougth it would. they did an excisional and not a needle biopsy. a needle biopsy can somtimes miss the malignant cells because it's only taking out a portion of the mass. where as with an excisional, the entire mass can be examined. some masses, depended where they're located can only have a needle biopsy if it's sitting on the carotid artery which is a dangerous spot for the surgeon.
A general surgeon once told me he woulnd't touch it with a ten foot pole becaujse he was afraid if he slipped, he'd damage the nerves which effects the facial muscles.
My ent never ever said anything to me like that. that's because it's the ENT's specialty to perform such surgeries.
my surgeon said he'd do his best job with me so he wouldn't scar my pretty neck. his exact words. he was right too. he did a fantastic job. all I have to do is cover it lightly with a little foundation each day and you can barely notice I have a scar there. he was proud of his work.

Mine turned out to be " Atypical Follicular Lymphoid Hyperplasia" which is benign. My ent called me just about every single day telling me he was waiting for the results and he's sorry it was taking so long.
he also had the sample sent to a seperate independent lab besides the hospital's patholgist to read.
I was recommended to always get a 2nd opinon on a biopsy. espeically lymphnodes because there's something like 30 different subtypes of lymphoma's and the pathologist has to be maticulous in reading the biopsy.

did you call a surgeon yet? what type of surgeon are you going to see?
how long were you on the antibotics' for and are you getting any symtoms?

alot of people I met thru the computer all said they felt fine and many of them had no symtoms before they're diagnosis. You can't go by blood work to detect a lymphoma. only a biopsy can detect it.
then there are some that do feel symtoms like being very tired all the time, sweats, a deep itchy feeling in their body and if it's hodgkins, if they drink an alcoholic beverage, the node would hurt. only when they drank though.
eveyone is different and you're your own unique person so you can't go by what you hear from others.

let us know when you've made you're appointment and if you need to talk to get out your stress, feel free to do so.
it's the best way of relieving your worries instead of keeping it bottled inside.
I wish you the best.
please keep us informed of your update.

sincerely,
Linda

Old 09-12-2007, 03:31 AM   #5
(female)

hillbillyhere HB User

Thank you Jeri and Linda for your replys it means alot to me. Like I am not all alone with this. I seem to have developed another lump on the other side of my neck now. Still waiting for my referral to see a surgeon......they said it would probably be today.....I hope so I just want this thing over with

Old 09-12-2007, 03:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I hope you find out today so you can get this moving.
the anxiety alone is enough to drive one nuts. It's difficult to not think about it during the day and night. they say the chance of it being malignant is small but I always say, what if we're in that group that makes up the small percentage?
so it's ok to being frightened. just come here and talk if you need to.
get it out so it doesn't make you sick. that's what I do all the time when things are borthering me. otherwise i"d explode.
let us know the outcome. good luck hon.
Linda

Old 09-12-2007, 06:17 PM   #7
(female)

hillbillyhere HB User

have appt with surgeon tomorrow at 3:00......will let you know what he says

Old 09-13-2007, 04:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

YES! that's wonderful news. You got in real fast.
I'll send you good ***** at that time today.
stay calm, take a deep breath and if you have questions for the dr., write them down and bring them with you so you dont' forget.
I've done that so many times.
Linda

Old 09-13-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
(female)

hillbillyhere HB User

Went to the surgeon today and he scheduled a biospy for Monday.........I guess now it is just a waiting game.........will post after biospy tc everyone

Old 09-14-2007, 04:01 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

they're moving real quick on this hillbilly.
thank goodness your wait isn't too long.
did the surgeon tell you what type of biopsy he or she is going to perform?
I'm curious, becasue remember the lump on my neck I told you that came back?
well I went to my family dr for a routine ck up last evening after work and I had him palpate the lump again. this time he see's it's gotten larger.
he is referring me to an ENT doctor to needle biopsy it.
he said there's no sense to order an MRI or CT scan to see the lump because he feels there's a lump and the scans can't tell whether it's malignant or not, only a biopsy can. so he's suggesting a needle biopsy for me. I dont' want a needle biopsy because thru speaking with alot of people at a lymphoma board, they all say do not get the needle biopsy because it can miss cells. it only takes out the core of what the needle took out. it can miss the surrounding tissue that may have bad cells in it, therefore giving a mis- diagnosis.
how large would you say your lump is?
can you move it when you palpate it?
I wish you good luck on monday. please keep us informed.
sincerely,
linda

Old 09-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #11
(female)

LucyT HB User

A CT scan is worth getting. I was on the road to biopsy and my doctor ordered a CT scan. Thank goodness I got it. I took the films to the ent dr and it diagnosed my problem. My lump was my submandibular gland that produces saliva. It was not blocked by a stone but only inflamed. She said I don't even have to return. I was told to massage it every day and drink lots of water which I've been doing. I can hardly feel it now. Hope you have a good outcome too!

Old 09-14-2007, 12:02 PM   #12
(female)

hillbillyhere HB User

Hi lintek I am having a excisional biopsy. My dr said that the lump needs to come out. The lump is on the left side of my neck in about a size of a grape I would say.....another lump is a little lower than that one and it is about a pea size......my other lymph nodes on the other side of my neck are swollen but not sticking out like this one.....I did my pre op today and I am all set for the surgery on Monday. I will keep everyone posted....Thank you all so much for being here for me it has meant so much to me

Old 09-18-2007, 09:11 AM   #13
(female)

Darlray2 HB User

I hope everything went well for you. I wish you the best and my thoughts and prayers are with you!

Darla

Old 09-18-2007, 05:18 PM   #14
(female)

hillbillyhere HB User

I had by biopsy on Monday and have dr appt on Friday for the results. I am sore but anxious for my results.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:09 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

DebM412 HB User

I hope it went okay for you. Did the doctor give you any kind of indication after the surgery?

Deb

Closed Thread