It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
(female)

confused78 HB User
Unhappy Pelvic Ct Scan helpful?

Hi All,
Well, I am still very worried about these nodes in my neck an groin and now have some leg swelling. I've been told the nodes feel "normal" whatever that means, but I can't stop worrying. One surgeon told me that he would biopsy the one in the groin, just to make me feel better,but i'm not sure I want to do something so drastic for peace of mind.
I was wondering if a pelvic CT scan would be helpful in showing if there are enlarged nodes/areas that can't be felt, that may be causing leg swelling. Any info or experiences would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 09-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #2
(female)

confused78 HB User
Re: Pelvic Ct Scan helpful?

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've had several opinons, but the ones that they can feel are not worrisome to any of them. I'm just worried that there are some that can't be felt that may be enlarged causing my leg to swell. I'm only 28, and I know it is rare at this age to have NHL, but I'm so worried that they might be missing it! So why do they have to keep an eye on yours, and what prompted the scan in the first place?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

schao HB User

Confused:

Where do you live? I live in AZ and I was lucky enough to find a surgeon that would do an excisional biopsy of a small lymph node I had. He wasn't real worried about it, but he understood how worried I was so he did it. It came back as just a benign lymph node.

Let me know,
schao

Old 09-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
(female)

confused78 HB User

Hi Schao,
I have a surgical oncologist that will biopsy my groin lymph node, but being the worrier I am, even of it that one came back negative, i would still worry about other ones. That's why I'm wondering if it makes more sense to do a CT Scan first to check for other enlarged nodes that you can't feel. Where was your node and how big was it? I have two very small on the right side of my neck that the onc. said he would absolutely not touch because they feel fine.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

schao HB User

Confused:

My lymph node was on the right side of my neck, and wasn't even half of a centimeter--but I panic about my health a lot so it freaked me out--I don't like lumps or bumps where they shouldn't be ya know?
My advice to you.......since you are worrying so much about it (just like I did)--if he is willing to do the biopsy of the one in your groin--go for it--it would sure give you peace of mind ya know? Peace of mind is priceless

Let me know what you decide,
schao

Old 09-12-2007, 05:44 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

DebM412 HB User

Schao,

How small was the node the doctor biopsied. I tried to get my ENT to biopsy a node under 1 cm and he laughed. He said it had to be grape size. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Deb

Old 09-12-2007, 07:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

schao HB User

Hi Deb:

My lymph node was maybe half a centimeter. I think it had been there for awhile, but I also haven't been feeling well for a long time--have a diagnosis of fibromalgia and chronic fatigue. I just wouldn't take no for an answer b/c I wasn't getting any sleep at night and was crying all the time thinking of the worst. It wasn't thank goodness, but if an odd lump or bump pops up again and stays there...I wouldn't hesitate having a biopsy again. I do have some health anxiety, so I may be a bit drastic--but it did put my mind at ease.

schao

Old 09-13-2007, 06:37 AM   #8
(female)

confused78 HB User

Well, I talked to my doctor and she talked to the other doctor that I've also seen at the practice, and they don't recommend that I get a CT Scan. I guess I should trust them? She said she's not worried about my leg swelling, it doesn't look like swelling to her, just a difference in muscle. I do trust her and I know she wants to help me stop worrying. I had blood work done about 2 months ago and it was all normal, but she said if it would make me feel better I could do that again. Although I know Lymphoma doesn't show in blood, are there ever any abnormalities in it if you have lymphoma?? Thanks!

Last edited by confused78; 09-13-2007 at 06:38 AM.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

DebM412 HB User

Confused78,

If it makes you feel better to have the CT then I think you should get it. I don't think anything is serious, that is not what I am saying but it would put your mind at ease and let you know that it is nothing serious. God forbid it is something, well it is caught early. Give your leg through the weekend and if it is not getting better maybe call the doc again.?

Deb

Old 09-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

DebM412 HB User

ctd,

I'm surprised that the doc is not doing a biopsy since the node is getting larger. Are you having any other symptoms?

Deb

Old 09-13-2007, 09:57 AM   #11
(female)

confused78 HB User

Hi Deb,
No, the node hasn't grown and it's on the opposite side of the "swollen" leg. My doctor did a thorough examination of my legs and thinks it's just muscle, not swollen. I feel like if she was worried about anything, she would want me to have a scan or biopsy.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:19 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

DebM412 HB User

The anxiety is worse than brutal and you could not be more correct when you said that we are our own worse enemies. I have been living in my own hell for 1 1/2 years now. It controls my emotions, thoughts and plans. I guess when it comes down to it I just want to [B]KNOW [B]if I have cancer. The time game is not fun!

Deb

Closed Thread