It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 06:32 AM   #1
(female)

abbeywilson HB User
Unhappy right side of head lymph nodes swollen 5-6 months went to doctor

Hi everyone ive never posted in this thread befor. Well i went to the doctor because my lymph nodes have been swollen on the right side of my head for 5-6 months. The one under my jaw is swollen, a tiny one on the back of my neck is swollen and the one behind my ear is swollen and this one is very painfull i have paulsating pain there sometimes off and on throughout the day. Well went to the doctor about 2 weeks ago got an antibiotic and it did not help at all then i went to a second appointment yesterday he ckecked to see if my pancreus was swollen or my liver both are not and he said it doesnt look cancerous but it could become cancerous or could be a early sighn of a disease to come in the future i had no biopsy or tests done he said just watch it and if any change happens come back in. So prett much he gave me no answer at all just to live with it untill it goes away or changes im a lil worried it could become cancerous.A also have tmj wich causes pain in my jaw neck and ear but he said tmj has nothing to do with it. what should i look for in the future if it chnges to something? just to add i am not on any sort of diet i am 19 years old also.

Last edited by abbeywilson; 01-09-2008 at 06:37 AM.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:59 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

DebM412 HB User
Re: right side of head lymph nodes swollen 5-6 months went to doctor

What kind of cancer could this become?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
(female)

abbeywilson HB User

he said it could become lymphoma

Old 01-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

innocence HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbeywilson View Post
Hi everyone ive never posted in this thread befor. Well i went to the doctor because my lymph nodes have been swollen on the right side of my head for 5-6 months. The one under my jaw is swollen, a tiny one on the back of my neck is swollen and the one behind my ear is swollen and this one is very painfull i have paulsating pain there sometimes off and on throughout the day. Well went to the doctor about 2 weeks ago got an antibiotic and it did not help at all then i went to a second appointment yesterday he ckecked to see if my pancreus was swollen or my liver both are not and he said it doesnt look cancerous but it could become cancerous or could be a early sighn of a disease to come in the future i had no biopsy or tests done he said just watch it and if any change happens come back in. So prett much he gave me no answer at all just to live with it untill it goes away or changes im a lil worried it could become cancerous.A also have tmj wich causes pain in my jaw neck and ear but he said tmj has nothing to do with it. what should i look for in the future if it chnges to something? just to add i am not on any sort of diet i am 19 years old also.

Sorry I can't help..but wow, im in exactly the same situation. lymph nodes swollen in same places, 19 years old, went to see doctor today and was told the same..with the option of having a biopsy..but i dont know whether i should have one!! I was hoping he'd decide that for me?!

Old 01-09-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
(female)

abbeywilson HB User

wow! Thats interesting. Well if u deside to get a biopsy could you tell me how it went and if they found anything?

Old 01-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

innocence HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbeywilson View Post
wow! Thats interesting. Well if u deside to get a biopsy could you tell me how it went and if they found anything?
sure. oh wait, actually..he said i need a chest x-ray before the biopsy..which im gonna have soon. but it's up to me if i have the biopsy..really can't decide, though. there are lots of things which cause lymph nodes to swell...including autoimmune disorders, HIV, etc. Actually, im seeing my rheumatologist in a week, so perhaps he can shed some light on this (dont have an autoimmune condition diagnosed, but have fibromyalgia and it's a check-up).

Old 01-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
(female)

abbeywilson HB User

Can anyone else help me?

Old 01-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Stphanie1 HB User
question for you!

AbbyWilson...

Have you been to a TMJ doctor to evaluate and see if the gland is swelling due to your TMJ problems?

Also, is the gland that is swollen noticable to the eye, CT scan, or when felt, that it is swollen or does it just feel swollen?

Do you grind or clentch at night?

Old 01-11-2008, 06:40 AM   #9
(female)

abbeywilson HB User

no ive never been to a tmj doctor just a family doctor who diagnosed me and he said the swollwn glands have nothin to do with tmj and no i dont grind my teathe at night and they are noticible by the eye and by touch and yes they are swollen the one behind my ear is the biggst one and most seeable and painfull sometimes.i also have never had act scan.

Last edited by abbeywilson; 01-11-2008 at 06:42 AM.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:18 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Stphanie1 HB User

IT might be a good idea to make an apt. for a CT scan maybe even with contrast!

Old 01-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Stphanie1 HB User

Oh, I also do not think a family doctor has enough training to say no it is not related to TMJ. Get a TMJ opinion for that and see an ENT (head, neck, throat doctor) too if you have not already. Make the apt. now because it takes time to get in.

Just my thoughts or what i would do of course ! good luck!

Old 01-15-2008, 05:46 PM   #12
(female)

abbeywilson HB User

ok thanks everyone im gunna see a head neck and throat dr and see what they have to say i do have tmj i think thats probly what it is thanks.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:08 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Stphanie1 HB User

check back and and let us know what you find out incase others have this same problem. It will help them out. Good luck!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:04 PM   #14
(female)

danigirl11 HB User
Unhappy Re: right side of head lymph nodes swollen 5-6 months went to doctor

Hello,

I am sorry, but I am also unable to help you. I really wish I could.

I was doing a search tonight for "swollen lymph nodes on the back of head and under chin/jaw", when I came across this thread.

My daughter who is only 11 years old has this.

I origionally took her to the doctor a few weeks ago for a lump at the back of her head, an inch or so above the hairline and to the left side. I thought it was a lymph node, but her doctor said it was a cyst and that we should just watch it. Well, we have and there has been no change.

Also at that visit, the doctor noticed that she had some swollen lymph nodes under her chin on both sides. She did a strep test which came back positive. (She had no signs of strep, but I had had it the week before). So, she was put on antibiotics. My daughter completed the antibiotics a few days ago.

So, now tonight I go to check the "cyst" and my daughter tells me that she noticed a new bump growing in the exact same spot on the back of her head, but on the right side. She said it has been getting bigger. I checked and sure enough she now has one on the left back side of her head that is twice the size of the one on the right. She also still has swollen nodes under her chin on both sides. Again, she has no signs of any illness, no sore throat, no fatigue, no headache, no pain, etc.

We are off to the doctor's again tomorrow but I was hoping someone might have some info for me. The only other thing that I think might affect this all some how is that she was diagnosed with Mono 2 years ago.

If any one has any thoughts or ideas I would appreciate hearing from you. I can only think of the worst case scenarios.

Thanks!

Old 02-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #15
(female)

danigirl11 HB User
? LYmphoma 11 yo and right side of head lymph nodes swollen

Hello, it is the Newbie again...

I wanted to post an update on my daughter and see if anyone has any advice.

I took her to the doctor's today and it turns out that the two bumps on the back of her head are cysts, according to her doctor. She said that they coudn't be lymph nodes because the lymph nodes only go as high as the base of the skull/or the hairline area. Her bumps are about an inch or so above the hair line. Not sure what to think about that.

While we were there, the doctor confirmed that she still has enlarged nodes in her neck below her chin/jaw area. She has had those for at least 3 weeks because that was the last time we were at the doctor's office and she had them at that time.

What she didn't have were enlarged nodes up along the side of her neck, kind of behind the ear, from just above her shoulder area to her hair line area. These are new.

So, because my daughter has no signs of being sick, etc. We started the process of checking for lymphoma today. She had x-rays done and blood work. We are waiting on the results.

My daughter is only 11 and obviously I am nervous about this. Any helpful information or stories would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by danigirl11; 02-20-2008 at 10:15 PM.

Closed Thread