It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
(female)

sm216 HB User
lymph nodes

About 6 weeks ago I found an enlarged lymph node about an inch under my ear after my jaw bone at the top of my neck. after looking online and seeing many references to cancer, I basically panicked and went to see a doctor. he felt it and told me it was "just an enlarged lymph node." I felt a little bit better but fairly soon after got really anxious again after looking online and feeling my lymph node...it still seemed really large to me and felt kind of hard...although from everything I've read I have no idea exactly how hard hard is...
I ended up going to see another doctor about 2 weeks ago because I wasn't convinced and was really freaking out. she checked my collarbone/neck area and said she felt another enlarged lymph node on my neck although didn't seem worried. I had to show her where the other one was, and she said to keep an eye on it but that it seemed normal and possibly due to wisdom teeth (I'm 22). I felt better at first but now I'm continuing to really freak out. everything I've read online has really scared me. I haven't had any other symptoms and have tried to avoid touching my neck/the lymph nodes because I also read that touching them can enlarge even normal lymph nodes. I briefly felt the original large lymph node yesterday and it did feel smaller. However, I am really concerned about collar bone lymph nodes. I probably shouldn't even be touching the area as I may irritate ones that wouldn't enlarge otherwise, but I did briefly do it yesterday. I'm confused about what they would feel like/how to tell the difference between normal flesh/muscle/etc and a lymph node. would it be fairly obvious if I had one? also, are they directly on the collar bone ever? the skin over my collarbone feels a bit bumpy but I don't know if that is normal or not. also, I think I felt 2 (one on each side) pea-sized or smaller lymph nodes at the very bottom of my neck on the side right above where it meets the shoulders. does that count as a neck lymph node or as collar bone ones? I'm really having trouble figuring out if I'm freaking out over nothing or if this is legitimate. I'm kind of a hypochondriac sometimes and have had problems with anxiety and panic attacks...which seem to be resurfacing now. the situation isn't helped by the fact that I'm in france until next month, so the 2 doctors I saw where here, rather than my normal ones. even if something was wrong, should it be ok to wait to see someone when I get home, in about a month? I'd appreciate people's opinions on this because it's hard for my family back home to help me when they can't even feel what I'm talking about, and I don't have many people to turn to here. thanks again!!

Last edited by sm216; 01-15-2008 at 09:14 AM. Reason: was incomplete

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
(female)

sm216 HB User
Re: lymph nodes

also to add quickly, I wasn't sick before the original lymph node appeared, which I did mention to the second doctor I saw. I had a cold in between the 1st doctor and the 2nd one, which could account for the other lymph nodes? but that was also about 3 weeks ago.
from what I've read on this forum so far, people seem to give pretty legit answers...but I'm also here to get honest opinions rather than the "it must be cancer" theme that seems to pop up on the internet a lot...I'm obviously worried that is what it is, but just wanted to add that as a side note. thanks again for reading my looooong post.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
(female)

jackie08 HB User

I had a lymph node behind my right ear and went to two doctors and they told me not to worry about it. Once I got new insurance I went to another doctor who did a needle biopsy and it was inconclusive. I decided to have it taken out and it was stage 1 lymphoma. I once had a surgeon tell me if you have a lump have it removed. I'm glad I did but still don't know what the future has in store for me. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm216 View Post
About 6 weeks ago I found an enlarged lymph node about an inch under my ear after my jaw bone at the top of my neck. after looking online and seeing many references to cancer, I basically panicked and went to see a doctor. he felt it and told me it was "just an enlarged lymph node." I felt a little bit better but fairly soon after got really anxious again after looking online and feeling my lymph node...it still seemed really large to me and felt kind of hard...although from everything I've read I have no idea exactly how hard hard is...
I ended up going to see another doctor about 2 weeks ago because I wasn't convinced and was really freaking out. she checked my collarbone/neck area and said she felt another enlarged lymph node on my neck although didn't seem worried. I had to show her where the other one was, and she said to keep an eye on it but that it seemed normal and possibly due to wisdom teeth (I'm 22). I felt better at first but now I'm continuing to really freak out. everything I've read online has really scared me. I haven't had any other symptoms and have tried to avoid touching my neck/the lymph nodes because I also read that touching them can enlarge even normal lymph nodes. I briefly felt the original large lymph node yesterday and it did feel smaller. However, I am really concerned about collar bone lymph nodes. I probably shouldn't even be touching the area as I may irritate ones that wouldn't enlarge otherwise, but I did briefly do it yesterday. I'm confused about what they would feel like/how to tell the difference between normal flesh/muscle/etc and a lymph node. would it be fairly obvious if I had one? also, are they directly on the collar bone ever? the skin over my collarbone feels a bit bumpy but I don't know if that is normal or not. also, I think I felt 2 (one on each side) pea-sized or smaller lymph nodes at the very bottom of my neck on the side right above where it meets the shoulders. does that count as a neck lymph node or as collar bone ones? I'm really having trouble figuring out if I'm freaking out over nothing or if this is legitimate. I'm kind of a hypochondriac sometimes and have had problems with anxiety and panic attacks...which seem to be resurfacing now. the situation isn't helped by the fact that I'm in france until next month, so the 2 doctors I saw where here, rather than my normal ones. even if something was wrong, should it be ok to wait to see someone when I get home, in about a month? I'd appreciate people's opinions on this because it's hard for my family back home to help me when they can't even feel what I'm talking about, and I don't have many people to turn to here. thanks again!!

Old 01-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

DebM412 HB User

jackie08,

Did you recently obtain the stage 1 diagnosis or was this a while back?
I want to know if it is okay, was the lump right behind your ear on the boney part?

Deb

Old 01-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
(female)

jackie08 HB User

I had the biopsy done last week and was told the next day that it was stage one lymphoma. They sent me to an oncologist and he ordered 3 ct scans which luckily came back fine. The next step is to have a bone marrow needle biopsy done next Tuesday - wish me luck, I'm no looking forward to it.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
(female)

jackie08 HB User

The lymph node was located just below the mastoid bone behind the right ear. They removed it and it was a stage 1 lymphoma. I will be having a bone marrow biopsy next week to see if it has spread and will most likely be treated with radition.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:35 PM   #7
(male)

Bofonic HB User

Lets hope it doesn't! THe good thing is they usually give you some strong anaesthesia (if not put asleep entirely) when they do the operation.

I remember mine a bit....but not much thankfully!

Goodluck with your test I hope you get back a negative!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:18 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer78 HB User

Hi Guys,
Jackie... The bone marrow biopsy was not near as bad as I thought it was going to be.
It's not fun, either...none of these tests are---but, it's a necessary one, and I remember when my doc was done, saying, "Are you done already???"
They did mine under "twilight anesthesia," so I was loopy, but aware.
The best of luck to you.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #9
(female)

jackie08 HB User

Thank you for your support.

Jackie

Old 01-18-2008, 06:32 PM   #10
(female)

jackie08 HB User

Thank you for your support - it's kind of scarey!

Jackie

Old 01-21-2008, 01:50 AM   #11
(male)

Unsure999 HB User

Im sorry that you are dxed with lymphoma, Jacky. But can you tell me which size this lymph node had?

Old 01-21-2008, 06:02 PM   #12
(female)

jackie08 HB User

The doctor said it was 3 centimeters. He had also biopsed it and I was told that the biopsy was inconclusive and I opted to have the surgery anyway, and I glad I did because it turned out to be a stage 1 lymphoma which I understand is good, but I have to go in tomorrow for a bone marrow biopsy and I am worried about the outcome. Have you been diagnosed?

Jackie

Closed Thread