It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
(male)

res11 HB User
Question about awful night sweats.

(I apologize for putting this in the lymphoma forum, but I'm following the "worst case scenario".)

I'm a 26 year old male and have been getting awful night sweats for at least the last 6 months. Although I can't remember exactly when they started, they've been getting worse and more frequent over the last 6 months. I've had quite a bit of testing done, but can't seem to find anything wrong with me, and truthfully, I don't really feel sick. I wake up 2-3 times a week absolutely drenched in sweat. Sheets are soaked, pillow is soaked, wife is soaked, etc. We have to go to another bed for the rest of the night. I'm also pretty woozy and dehydrated afterwards. The sweats seem to start about an hour or so after I fall asleep, and my wife noticed that if she wakes me up as I'm starting to get really sweaty, I stop and don't sweat for the rest of the night (usually). The room is kept at a constant temperature of around 71 degrees, we don't use heavy blankets, and I've sweat in hotels on business trips. It doesn't seem to be a temperature thing.

I have no significant past medical history aside from bilateral hernia surgery last year. I don't use drugs, or smoke. I drink about 2 cups of coffee per day and used to drink a glass of wine per day, but I cut that out because I read that alcohol can cause night sweats (apparently not mine, though). I run about 4 miles 4 days per week and I'm really not under any stress as far as I can tell. I don't have fatigue or pain anywhere. I had a physical done and my PA didn't find any swollen lymph nodes in my neck or armpits. She ordered a chest X-ray and TB test. Both were negative. She also did a CBC, T4 and other (thyroid bloodwork). All were fine. I travel on occasion to some exotic places, so I had a malaria test done. It was negative. I recently had an abdominal CT done because my hernia surgery (RLQ) still hurts a bit a year after the surgery. Everything looked good on the scan.

I'm willing to accept that I'm perfectly fine and just sweat a lot, but I am somewhat concerned that the doctors are missing something. The frequency, severity, and lack of correlation to any other lifestyle events (I've been keeping a daily journal) concern me. I don't want to find out 3 years from now that had I been more aggressive about running this down, I could have saved my life. That said, I don't want to drive myself nuts worrying that I might have a serious illness if I'm just a sweater. I'd appreciate any suggestions or advice anyone can offer. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer78 HB User
Re: Question about awful night sweats.

My goodness. It sounds like you need a better doctor to get to the root of it.
I don't think it's "normal" for someone to drench themselves nightly, like that.
I, myself, am having problems (night-sweats) at the moment...but, it's due to a fever & some complications from the past year of treatment.
I would be persistant, and maybe switch doc's, or look for a doctor that can "put it all together."
I always believed for night-sweats to be symptomatic of something, but I'm not sure.
A Professional needs to tell you that.
Good luck.

Last edited by singer78; 04-27-2008 at 02:30 PM.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
(male)

res11 HB User
Re: Question about awful night sweats.

I'm going to an infectious disease doctor this week. I've travelled all over, so its possible I could have picked up something strange, I guess. I'm also going to go to an endocrinologist at some point. Aside from that, I'm pretty much lost on what else it could be!

Closed Thread