It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
(female)

Beccapooh HB User
Question MRI results seem to indicate something's not right........

Okay, so I've been really ill for about four years now. I won't bore you with all the sorted details but suffices to say that I've had dysphagia and severe ear pain on the right side the whole time. I've also had a right sided sore throat that seems to come and go. I have a rather annoyingly large lymph node on the right side. Throughout my road of diagnosis I've had MRI and abdominal CT's (for various Neurological, Endocrinological conditions) and they've discroved an enlarged lymph node by my spleen and pancreas. I have had a lynph node removed from my breast a few years ago. I had to have a complete hysterectomy 7 years ago, due to fibroid tumors. I have a hemangioma on my spine; Morton's Neuroma on my right foot, etc. I seem to be predisposed to tumors.

I've had blurred vision, intermittently. When I first became really ill, I sounded like a hearing impaired person, now my voice is just a little bit hoarse all the time. My tongue doesn't seem to fit into my mouth properly anymore. I get these horrible sores on the roof of my mouth.

At any rate, the MRI that I just had to try to rule in/out MS (I have several brain lesions, too) found that I had "lymphadenopathy with jugular and spinal accessory changes". I got a copy of my MRI on CD and HOLY COW!! It looks like there is a change of "something" that's all swollen on the right side. It goes behind my right ear and is definately NOT on the left side. I do have some swollen salivary glands, too, that showed on the MRI.

Does anyone know if Lymphomas enhance with T2 MRI? Or if they would look spotted or irregular? Are the perfectly round? I'm just wondering. I've been looking online for a picture of the MRI showing them and can't find any.

I initially had bad night sweats and fever and I still get a random fever, but I've also been diagnosed with Putnam-Dana Syndrome. (Subacute Degeneratoin of the Spinal Cord, secondary to Pernicious Anemia) So, it's hard to tell what symptoms go with what thing.

I'm just wanting some guidance, is all. I have an appointment with my ENT on June 3rd. Oh, I should say that I've done a barium swallow and a modified barium swallow and it showed that the bolus stuck in the "piriform sinuses", if that helps anyone...........

Bec

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2008, 07:15 AM   #2
(female)

Beccapooh HB User
Re: MRI results seem to indicate something's not right........

No one has any advice or wisdom they could share with me? LOL......

Maybe, if I could just hear from somone else that's been through it, it would help. Has anyone been DX with some form of Lymphoma after several years with swollen glands, dysphagia and severe ear pain? I don't have a constant fever, nor to I get the night sweats every night. I'm also pretty fat, as is everyone in my family, ie. Mother, Father, Grandparents, etc. Does that automatically mean that I can't have cancer, because all cancer people are skinny?

Also, my sore throats seem to come and go, too. Just like the ear pain now. I had constantly for two years and now it's only when I get really hot or overly stressed out. Things seem to swell up severely then. I've already been checked for Lyme and Lupus and Myasthenia Gravis and MS and I'm sure several other things that they didn't even tell me that they were checking for. Apparently, nothing's come back positive, other than the Putnam-Dana, diverticulitis and the tumors on my foot and spine. OH, yeah, I also have this weird pain in my bladder and my kidney (right one again...) but they say that my kidney function tests are all fine (??). My right kidney also seems to go numb. I also have weird blurred/double vision. Again, intermittently. (???)

I'd just love some help here, please...........

Bec

Old 05-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
(male)

lymphpre HB User

Hello Bec,
I don't have anything particularly wise to say, but I would not want you to go without replies. Night sweats can be a sign of lymphoma, but also a lot of other things. The problem with all the symptoms of lymphoma is that they are not specific to lymphoma, which is why people have to undergo such invasive procedures to biopsy tissue. I admit I am totally unfamiliar with the diagnosis you mention. Could you say a little bit more about it? Do you have a reason to think your symptoms do not fit?
Best wishes
Simon

Old 05-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
(female)

Beccapooh HB User

Putnam-Dana Syndrome is damage to the spinal cord caused by untreated Pernicious Anemia (the body's inability to absorb B-12). It causes the nerves to malfunction and extreme fatigue, diarrhea, burning hands and feet and tons of Neurological problems. It can cause, and has for me, several cardiac problems as well. It does NOT however, cause any lymphadenopathy and shouldn't cause fevers, dysphagia, night sweats or blurred vision (although this is open for discussion amoungst several doctors). At any rate, I've been taking my B-12 injections for nearly 9 months now and most of my symptoms have gone away EXCEPT the fatigue (which should have been the first thing to go, alledgedly) the night sweats, the fever, the dysphagia, the severe right ear pain, the right sided (only) sore throat, the feeling like I'm getting a cold ALL THE TIME (that never seems to come to a head). Add in the constanly swollen lymph nodes, for nearly 4 years now, and it just doesn't seem quite normal.

If you just look up Pernicious Anemia on the web, you'll see the symptom list and none of it includes your lymph nodes. Just seems weird is all.

I wish that there was a way that I could post a picture of my MRI, so that y'all could give me your "educated opinion". Do you know if I can do that??

Bec

Old 05-23-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

pinkmada HB User

i have never heard of lymphoma causing dysphagia and i would take a guess that if you have neuro problems then that would be the main reason behind your blurred vision especialy if it's not constant or if's not getting worse and possibly the dysphagia.

I think it's difficult for MRIs to distinguish between 'masses' if it is not a soft tissue mass and a soft-tissue lymphoma is one of the rarest kinds of lymphoma and (i think but i cant rembmer for certain) they are most common in arms and legs. soft tissue masses, if mailgnant, usually are sarcomas.

if you have endocrinology problems then that too could indicate the swollen lymph nodes as your thymus and thyroid glands work closely with your lymphatic system.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
(female)

Beccapooh HB User

See, that's funny because one of the symptoms of Lymphoma IS dysphagia. Where my lymphnodes are swollen are in the neck area. They're putting pressure on my tracea (spelling?) I've already been to see an Endocrine guy and he says that I'm fine. I've been to 3 Neurologists about the blurred vision and they're telling me that it's "hormonal", the endocrine guy says that's it's Neurological. I go back and forth, back and forth. No good.

So, help me understand what you're saying about the MRI.........are you saying that it would only pick up a mass if it's SOFT tissue and most NECK lymphoma's are HARD? And, if it's HARD, the MRI would NOT have been able to pick it up? I'm confused. My MRI was for both soft and hard tissue, as they were looking from lesions on my spinal cord, but also found the tumor that is on my vertebae.

I'm so confused.

What's the difference between a CT and an MRI? I always thought that they were the same, but that an MRI was BETTER? Am I wrong?

Bec

Old 05-24-2008, 04:30 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

pinkmada HB User

dysphagia is usually only apparent where there is oesophageal involvment with the lymphoma, however it is not a common symptom. you're trachea is your windpipe so if there was involvement there i would pressume you'd have more trouble breathing than swallowing.

lymphomas are solid masses and i would think that they would be difficult to pick up on an MRI.

CT or CAT scans give detailed cross-section images of the body using x-rays.
MRIs use magnetics and radiowaves and do not use radiation. they are better at differentiating between soft tissues and are used widely for the nervous system and the musculoskeletal system. CT scans are better at detailed images of dense tissues such as the lungs.

Last edited by pinkmada; 05-24-2008 at 06:38 AM. Reason: typo

Old 05-24-2008, 07:12 AM   #8
(female)

Beccapooh HB User

Thanks, I meant my oesophagus, but I couldn't think of the word right then, sorry. I agree, that dysphagia probably isn't a common symptom for sure. The place where my lymph nodes are enlarged is putting pressure on my oesophagus, ear, jugular and spinal accessory. I really notice it when I turn my head to the left or right. When I'm lying down, if I turn my head to the left, I do have a hard time breathing and in order to swallow better I have to turn my head to the right to "get around" whatever's in my throat/neck.

I honestly still don't quite understand the whole MRI vs. CT thing, but that's my tiny little brain, not being able to understand. I guess that part that doesn't make a whole lot of sense about that is fact that they've done MRI's for me for basically everything. When I needed shoulder surgery, MRI. When I needed knee surgery MRI. To look at my brain and spine, MRI. It just seems like those places have soft and hard tissue and the pictures have been amazing, to my untrained eye, or course. I guess that the whole idea that X-rays would be better than the magnet, just seems forgein to me. Oh well...........

So, does that mean that my MRI is going to useless for my ENT? Because I was really planning on taking the disk with me, so that he could see it.

Bec

PS - Does it make a difference if my MRI was done with and without contrast? The difference in the lymphnodes w/ and w/o is interesting, for sure.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:57 AM   #9
(female)

dee62 HB User

Hi Bec

I can't imagine how terrible it must feel to hurt the way you do all the time.
I truly hope that the Dr.s will be able to figure out what is going on.
I also have swollen lymph nodes, one is hard & fixed on my neck right up under my ear, and a soft one (moveable) on the left side of my neck. But I also have dsyphagia at times. It happens when my hiatal hernia flares up, mostly.

My hematologist has recommended me to come back, get another CT scan and see if anything has changed with the lymph nodes in June. I too have had several CT & ultrasounds done, they show the lymph nodes clearly. I have night sweats & slight fevers (it feels like it anyways), but not all the time.

Prayers to you Bec and let me know how things okay?
Dee):
Dee

Last edited by dee62; 05-24-2008 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Sorry guys, words get all jumbled sometimes!

Old 05-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #10
(female)

Beccapooh HB User

Thank you, Dee. Yes, it does stink, for sure. I really think that my severe ear pain is because that lymph node isn't draining properly. I'm not sure what conditions could cause that. I'll be seeing the ENT in June, so I'm sure that he'll know.

I wonder if they'll be willing to remove those enlarged lymph nodes even if they're benign. Clearly they're not functioning properly if they swell up so badly all the time. I mean, I can feel them in my thoat and my neck. It's horrible. Sometimes, I get a really bad stabbing pain in my throat, on the side that all the swelling is. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Or does the severe ear pain, bone pain, and left sided flank pain sound familiar?

Bec

Old 05-27-2008, 07:50 AM   #11
(female)

dee62 HB User

Hi Bec,

You know I have read and heard other individuals say at times when lymph nodes are removed it can cause other problems. But, I know that your ENT will let you know what is best.

To tell you the truth I am in the dark about what can be causing you the pain in your throat. I have the same problems with the lymph nodes in my neck below both ears. At times I will have sharp shooting pains in my head. It's not all the time, so I try not to worry about, it just feels terrible at times like you said.

I hope that your appointment goes well, and maybe your doctor can figure out what is going on and get it taken care of so you no longer have to suffer.
Keep us updated on your progress. Prayers to you Becca.

Dee

Old 05-27-2008, 08:19 AM   #12
(female)

Beccapooh HB User

Yeah, sometimes I think that I'm crazy because the pain seems to come and go. I also get this horrible stabbing pain the runs right down my neck/throat. Come to find out, that's where my jugular is. Go figure? LOL. I just wish that I knew what was meant by "jugular and spinal accessory changes are noted" on my MRI. Like, what the heck does that mean anyway??

I've also had an abdominal CT and they've noted (on three different ones) a "mass" by my spleen/pancreas and it could be attached to my intestines. Every single person who reads the 'new" CT thinks that it's something different. Nice. I also have at least one enlarged lymph node right by that 'mass'.

I can feel the lymph nodes in my groin for sure, but I don't know if that's normal or not. (Any input here??)

I've had several blood tests come back showing low lymphocytes, but, wouldn't they be HIGH if something were wrong? I'm confused by that, too.

Anyway, I'm just wanting to feel better. I've actually forgotten what it's like to be normal and healthy and have energy and be able to go out and eat a meal in public and not be embarassed. And the fatigue...........wwwwwooooo, I'm over that, boy. However, that's hard to tell where it's coming from because I have Pernicious Anemia. I gave myself a shot this weekend and I still ended up sleeping for 13 hours straight!!! Geez........

Bec

Closed Thread