It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
(female)

annette79 HB User
large hard painless lump behind ear

Hello,

This is a first for me...but here it goes. I have had a large painless bump behind my left ear for 3+ years. That is when I first had my GP look at it. I told him that I was very tired, had sore throats, trouble breathing, and an unusual lump behind my ear. He ran blood work that came back mostly normal if I remember correctly, sent me for lung function tests to see if I had asthma-which I did/do not, and sent me to an ENT to look at my lump/throat. The ENT ordered a CT scan which was fine other than two thyroid masses. This diverted things a bit because my mother had had thyroid cancer at 19 and my sister was currently undergoing surgeries at the Samsung Clinic for thyroid cancer. I was sent to an Endocronologist who biopsied my nodules which came back fine. On a follow up(a year or so later) he looked at the lump behind my left ear and was convinced that it was a bone/soft tissue overgrowth b/c of its size and how hard it was so he ordered an MRI which showed that it was neither and he recomended that I go back to my ENT to figure out what it is. I have been very busy and have not followed up but now I have lost 25lbs, have a constent pressure in my ear like the lump, which is getting larger, is pressing on something, still exhausted all the time, can't breathe easily, and have a new lump on the side of my right breast which I get ultrasounded on Thursday. And I have an appointment with an ENT on Tuesday about the lump behind my ear. Is it unreasonable of me to ask them to remove the lump because of the discomfort? I really feel that there is something more going on...I just don't feel right. Any advice or information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

ntbd HB User
Re: large hard painless lump behind ear

for most people, it's not cancer. For my father, it was.

At a minimum, you can ask for a fine needle biopsy, even though they are known for false negatives.

If it were me, I'd press to have it removed and therefore a full biopsy done - unless there is some particular reason not to, like proximity to a nerve or something.

Last edited by ntbd; 11-13-2008 at 11:05 AM.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
(female)

annette79 HB User

Thank you for the response. I also want it removed because it is starting to cause pressure/pain because of pressing against my internal ear and jaw (I assume) and it has gotten larger. My appointment was mooved to tomorrow because the ENT was sick so I hope he is receptive to what I want.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

ntbd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette79 View Post
I also want it removed because it is starting to cause pressure/pain because of pressing against my internal ear and jaw
that makes all the difference in the world

make sure you emphasize that

not because it indicates cancer, but because that is a reason in its own right for removal

Old 11-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
(female)

izzyhewson HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette79 View Post
Hello,

This is a first for me...but here it goes. I have had a large painless bump behind my left ear for 3+ years. That is when I first had my GP look at it. I told him that I was very tired, had sore throats, trouble breathing, and an unusual lump behind my ear. He ran blood work that came back mostly normal if I remember correctly, sent me for lung function tests to see if I had asthma-which I did/do not, and sent me to an ENT to look at my lump/throat. The ENT ordered a CT scan which was fine other than two thyroid masses. This diverted things a bit because my mother had had thyroid cancer at 19 and my sister was currently undergoing surgeries at the Samsung Clinic for thyroid cancer. I was sent to an Endocronologist who biopsied my nodules which came back fine. On a follow up(a year or so later) he looked at the lump behind my left ear and was convinced that it was a bone/soft tissue overgrowth b/c of its size and how hard it was so he ordered an MRI which showed that it was neither and he recomended that I go back to my ENT to figure out what it is. I have been very busy and have not followed up but now I have lost 25lbs, have a constent pressure in my ear like the lump, which is getting larger, is pressing on something, still exhausted all the time, can't breathe easily, and have a new lump on the side of my right breast which I get ultrasounded on Thursday. And I have an appointment with an ENT on Tuesday about the lump behind my ear. Is it unreasonable of me to ask them to remove the lump because of the discomfort? I really feel that there is something more going on...I just don't feel right. Any advice or information would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Hello
I just so your condition and I was wondering what was the result. I have the same thing and I am very curious.

Closed Thread