It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
(female)

BriansMom444 HB User
I hear many saying Lymphoma is curable......Please help.

Hi,

I just got back from an oncologist appmt. Im having a body scan next week & am nervous.

Is lymphoma curable?? I thought it was like luekimia where just about everyone dies??

Please, if you have any info........i thank you.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
(male)

lymphpre HB User
Re: I hear many saying Lymphoma is curable......Please help.

Many patients with lymphoma have treatment and are cured, i.e. the lymphoma goes away and does not come back. So yes, it is curable. Unfortunately, this is not everyone.

I think the same is true of leukaemia though. Many patients have their treatment, the problem goes away and does not come back. So this is also curable, but the treatments still do not cure everybody.

There are figures for the percentage of patients with each disease who are cured by treatment, which can be found quite easily on the net. There are also factors which influence how likely it is that a cure will result. You need to remember that statistics only inform you about the liklihood of a particular outcome though. People with a poor prognosis statistically can still have a good outcome, and the reverse is unfortunately also true.

I would imagine that it is overly pessimistic to say that "just about everyone dies" from either illness.

Let us know how you get on with the scan.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

It really depends on which lymphoma you have. Some are curable, some are treatable but not curable. Those are the indolent ones that develop slowly. However, with more treatments coming on board and longer remissions. there is hope that all types will eventually become curable. I am hoping for that as mine is presently expected to return at some point...not yet, I hope!

Old 12-07-2008, 01:54 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User

Yes they are very curable. Stay positive and GOOD LUCK.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:03 AM   #5
(female)

busy mom of two HB User
Smile Re: I hear many saying Lymphoma is curable......Please help.

A little bit of hope for you in your time of need to know. My husband and I have been married for almost 8 years and have 2 beautiful twin girls, who will be 8 in June. The year my husband turned 18, he found out he had Hodgkin's disease (cancer of the lymphnodes). Pretty devastating to an 18 year old, otherwise healthy guy. He went through his rounds of Chemotherapy and Radiation, and was just fine for 3 years. Within those 3 years, his onocologists told him that he had about a 5 percent chance of ever having children. 2 years later he and I dated and I became pregnant with our twins. That same month we found out we were pregnant, he found out he had cancer again. He fought through the treatments of Chemotherapy, Radiation, bone marrow transplants and bone marrow biopsies, and married me and he beat it. He has been in remission for 7 years. Healthy as an ox. People DO beat this!! Never give up hope!! Even if you do have this, you can beat it! Our children are miracles! This is not a death sentence by any stretch of the imagination. Keep your head up!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to busy mom of two For This Useful Post:
Robert K (05-11-2012)
Old 02-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User

lymphoma is curable, just to let you know so is leukemia, not everyone dies.
though lots of people of all types of cancers die, lots survive.
lymphoma, leukemia,are both blood cancers, treatments have come a long way,
many people do their chemo treatments and go on to live long happy lives.
chemo treatments are harsh on the body but everything is doable, strength, prayers, and a positive attitude is what's needed. good luck to you.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #7
(female)

chriswooten57 HB User

My younger brother is 49 years old and he was told by doctor over 10 years ago that he has luekemia. He takes medication everyday, but he is living a somewhat normal life. He does not work anymore, but doing ok.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #8
(female)

jujubean7929 HB User

My grandmother had breast cancer and cervical cancer and then non-hodgkins she went into remission for 10 years. when she did pass away it wasn't from any form of cancer. Not only can you beat cancer but you can do it more than once.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
(female)

not sick HB User

I am sure that you have been told many times to keep a positive attitude, and I believe that. When I was diagnosed with the indolent form of non hodgkins, I was stage four, and frightened out of my mind, but with remission comes renewed hope and with my family support and a great Dr., I know that I will be around for a long time yet and you will as well. Keep your chin up and thank God for every day.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #10
(female)

angelplus HB User

Often the worst thing is worry and fear of the unknown. Donít let the word Lymphoma scare you, there are effective treatments. Over 4 years ago I was diagnosed with a RARE Lymphoma (Primary Mediastinal B-Cell Lymphoma - PMBCL). I had Surgery, Chemo and Radiation and am happy to be alive. You manage to get through it one day at a time and meet some interesting people along the way. Before you know it a couple of years have gone by and you dont even think about it much any more.

The Following User Says Thank You to angelplus For This Useful Post:
24mindy (10-07-2011)
Old 03-27-2009, 04:58 AM   #11
(female)

crosssecrg HB User

It is curable. I was diagnosed with folicular lymphoma last year. We were petrrified when we had our first visit with my Oncologist. The first thing he said when we sat down is some doctors do not like to call this illness curable but in my office we do......well 6 months later, I have finished my process, had my port removed and I am doing well. There is always hope......surround yourself with positive doctors, nurses, family members and friends......I cut out all negitive people in my life and feel great!

Elizabeth

Closed Thread