It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
(female)

topmodel88 HB User
Red face Lymphoma??...scared...worried...stressed ...please somebody help me!!!!

Okay, I am really scared now!!

I am a 20 year old African American woman, with really no major health concerns, besides high blood pressure. Bu I am very worried about my health now.

I have/had a couple of symptoms:

In August of last year (2008), I had some lower back pain, that would come and go for about a month. For the most part, the pain is no longer present.

Then, on September 20, I noticed that the lymphnodes under my arm were swollen. And they have been swollen eversince. So for around 4 months, the lymphnodes under my arms have been swollen. Sometimes they hurt a litte and sometimes they don't. At times it feels as if they're going down and getting smaller, but then they start getting bigger. I am always touching, poking, and feeling them because they are bothering me and makng me scared.

Then on October 22, 2008 I realized that I had a painless lump behind each one of my knees. Mind you, I have had knee problems in the past. In high school I ran some track and crosscountry and had some knee pain. Whin in high school I was seen my an orthopedic doctor twice and went to physical therapy. The lumps cause no pain at all, you cannot feel them when I am sitting down and can only see or feel them when I stand up or when I am on my tiptoes. So, I am thinking I have baker's cyst.

On November 20, 2008, I went to the hospital because I wasn't feeling well, my body was jittery and shaky, everyone was telling me that I looked pale, and my lymphnodes under my arm was still swollen after 2 monts. So when I went to the doctor, she felt the lumps behind my knees, and my lymphnodes in my underarms, and didn't seem to concern about them. However, she was concerned because I had a tachycardia (a fast heart beat), which was about 150+ beats per minute. She first thought that I had a problem with my thyroid, and did a test and concluded that my thyroid was fine. She then did a blood test, and the blood test came back that I was anemic and my hemoglobin counts was 9.9. So, she admitted to the hospital.

I was in the hospital for 3 days, and seen by different doctors and they all felt my lymphnodes, but didn't seem concern about them. They then were trying to figure out why my heart rate was so elevated and why my hemoglobin count was so low. They did a chest x-ray, which came back normal. I had to give them stool samples and urine samples and everthing came back negative. They then did a CBC test (Complete blood count), and realized that my hemoglobin level had dropped to 8.8 in one day, so they were trying to figure out where why I was losing so much blood. Then on the Second night, they confirmed that I was lacking a good source of iron in my diet and gave me some iron pills. So, when I left the hospital I was diagnosed with anemia, tachycardia (fast heartbeat), and dehydration.

Then, about 3 weeks later, I went to my follow up appointment and the doctor listened to my heart and it was at a normal pace.

So then last week, I went to see a blood pressure doctor, for a routine check-up. I told her about the lumps in the back of my knees, but just like the other doctors she didn't concern herself with them. I didn't tell her about the lymph nodes under my arms because it felt as if they were going donw. She then orderd a CBC test, to check on my anemia. I am guessing that everything was good and normal, because she hasn't called me back to tell me that my anemia was still present.

My questions are, since my lymphnodes under both of my arms are still swollen, should I be worried? Could I possible have lmphoma or some other form of cancer. Can a CBC test, diagnose lymphoma? Should I make me another appointment with my doctor, even though she was not concerned about my swollen lymphnodes before? What should I do? I am very scared and have been really stressed out lately. I am a full time student and my GPA has dropped drastically and I haven't been able to concentrate on my school work because I've been so worried about my health.

**CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME, I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO***

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
(female)

beth67 HB User
Re: Lymphoma??...scared...worried...stressed ...please somebody help me!!!!

Wow, sounds like your having a bad time. When the dr. did the thyroid tests did they do an antibody test for an autoimmune disease called hashimotos. I had normal thyroid labs for years but they never did a hashimotos test. One dr. finally did it and it came out positive. So if they only did the regular thyroid tests and no hashimotos and they say nothing is wrong with you insist that they do one. I have anemia but not as bad as yours and it can make your heart race. As far as the enlarged nodes has anyone biopsied them. If you continue to get worse don't give up. Find a dr. that will listen to you. Good luck.

Beth

Old 01-16-2009, 01:26 AM   #3
(female)

busy mom of two HB User
Smile Re: Lymphoma??...scared...worried...stressed ...please somebody help me!!!!

Get a new doctor!!! Not saying that you should panic, but I agree with Beth67 and get a biopsy done on those. My husband had Hodgkins diseaese twice and would have only had it once if his doctor listened to him and checked a mass that he said he would keep an eye on, but neglected to do so. I don't want you to panic, because this is very treatable, even if you have it. Let's hope not!!! But this is something you'll definatley want to get handled as early as you can. Everyone has the right to a second opinion. I suggest getting one for your own peace of mind!! Breathe!! It will be ok!! Please let me know how it goes! Good Luck!

Last edited by busy mom of two; 01-16-2009 at 01:27 AM.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User

a cbc cannot detect lymphoma.
you should definately get those lumps checked, they can be lipomas which is fatty deposits but they can be a sign of lymphoma. get those blood test results back and make sure your hemoglobin is at normal now. if your hemoglobin does not come back normal and it is low make sure you mention lymphoma to your doctor.
a biopsy of a node can be the best way to accurately diagnose what's going on, if your concerned you should request a pet scan. it is important to get those blood test results because lymphoma also affects your bone marrow. have you always been low on iron?
has your hemoglobin always been below normal values? do you have a heavy period?
you know your history, you know your body. insist on the necessary tests.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
(female)

zoezerkat HB User
Unhappy Re: Lymphoma??...scared...worried...stressed ...please somebody help me!!!!

I have a lump behind my knee and have noticed it for the past 6 months it seems to be getting larger in size . I went to the Dr. and they also said that they thought it was a bakers cyst.. I was sent to have an ultrasound done and was told that it was not a cyst. A few days ago around May 21 I noticed some lumps under both my armpits, they are about the size of a large pimple very sore and red and thier are several under both armpits. I thought maybe I had ingrown hairs posibly from a bad razor but now I'm really worried since I have this lump behind my knee as well, oh and also I have been having these wierd pimple like looking red spots on my stomach and lower back well pretty much all of my mid body,but I notice nothing on my legs,arms,or breast I know it sounds wierd especially cause it doesn't always appear..the sores on my mid body come and go..please let me know if you have had any luck with finding out what exactly what the lump behind your knees are and the rest of your symptoms.. thanks so much..

Old 05-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
(female)

topmodel88 HB User

Hey, I go to the doctor June 10th, so hopefully I get an answer. It does seem as if we shared the same symptoms though. However, I don't have the skin problems like you. When they did the ultrasound of the lump on your knee, did they ever tell you what it was? I would think if it were cancer or something they'd let you know right? Do you have any other symptoms?

I'll keep you in my prayers!!

Old 06-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
(female)

4boystolove HB User

I just made an appt. for June 10th to see a surgeon too. Same thing here. Noticed a lump under my right arm 2 months ago. After my period it did not go down so I had a mammogram and ultrasound. Was not attached to the breast but it is a large lymphnode attached to a muscle. I was exercising the day before and thought I pulled a muscle which is how I came to find this lump. So why did it show up in the 1st place....? I feel like it has gone down but I do believe that it is the muscle that has gone down. I have lupus (SLE), Sjogrens, hasimotos, thryroid issues,,,,,
My rheumy told me that I am susceptible to lymphona because of the sjogrens so he wants me to have a biopsy. 6/10 the surgeon will evaluate me and decide if he thinks I should it bioposied. My brother had hogdekins 30 years ago. He died in 2002 from lung cancer which they said he got when they did radation 30 years ago. The only thing you can do to rest your mind is to see a surgeon and have it biopsied. I still get huge bumps behind my knees occasionally and my doc said they could be bakers cysts. Good luck and I will keep you posted about my visit on the 10th.
Kathy

Last edited by Administrator; 04-04-2011 at 05:40 AM.

Closed Thread