It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
(female)

Lynae1976 HB User
Unhappy Very scared...he's only 7 & lumps are popping up all over his neck.

A few weeks back I noticed a lump about the size of a pea on my 7 year old's neck. I didn't think twice about it. Then a little over a week ago my mother in law pointed it out because she noticed it from across the room. I called my son's pediatrician as soon as I realized it had grown & she got him in the same day. She seemed a bit concerned because she also noted that he only gained 2 lbs in the last 6 months yet he's grown 3 inches taller, so definitely not height/weight proportionate.

She asked all the usual questions about appetite, sleep, etc., and mentioned the dark circles under his eyes. He's always had them, but after she pointed it out I realized they're definitely much darker. He actually looks like he's got 2 black eyes. I don't know how long they've been that dark, but looking back I recall my husband and I commenting about it for quite some time now. Another thing I notice now that I'm paying more attention is just how PALE he is. He's fair skinned like me, but he actually looks sickly pale now.

He has been sleeping a lot lately. Anyone who has a 7 year old child KNOWS they don't like to sleep!! But for the last couple months my little guy will disappear. I'll assume he's playing in his room after school and I'll go up there a while later and he's sound asleep. He's so hard to wake up now, both from his frequent naps and in the mornings. He never wants to go anywhere with us anymore, even if it's to do something fun. He just says he'd rather take a nap. When we do get him interested in something he seems pretty much normal, but anything physical seems to exhaust him anymore. My husband noted that when he sleeps, he sweats really bad. He noticed it one night when he crawled into bed with us after a bad dream. Hubby said it was so disgusting that he slept all the way on the edge of the bed so he didn't touch him. (I apparently slept like a rock that night.) As far as his appetite goes, it's always varied with him. He's either eating like a horse or nibbling very little. Right now he's definitely in a nibbling phase, but I'm not sure if it's just one of his normal things or what.

His ped wanted me to keep an eye on him for 4 weeks, hoping it would go away on its own and monitor his behavior/symptoms because there's no sign of having a virus. She said it could just be a swollen lymph node left over from last time he was sick or something. I've been watching him & checking the lump periodically and tonight I noticed another smaller one right above it, as well as a small one on the other side too. The ped only noticed the one when we were there and it was about 1 cm. I'm not sure if it's grown. I think maybe it has because the new ones seem to be about the size the first one was when I noticed it. It's only been just over a week since I had him in there initially & I'm wondering if I should wait until his appointment on the 26th or call the doctor in the morning. She said if it was still there at the next appt. she'd do blood work but I've read that sometimes cancers don't show up in blood work in the beginning so I don't know what needs to be done to rule that out. I don't want to be a hypochondriac but he's my baby...I'm just scared. I'd take all the pain & sickness in the world if it could protect my kids........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread