It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
(female)

jewelm HB User
Can a CT differeniate between shotty nodes and lymphoma?

Hi everyone

I have been experiencing generalized lymphadenopathy and terrible fatigue for six months now but all of my blood tests are normal except sometimes my white count is down slightly. Last week I was admitted to hospital for severe neck pain at the base of my skull as some kind of muscle/ligament had swollen like a ridge along my spine in my neck and leading up into my head. I also have two hard nodes over the temporalmandibular legion, two soft enlarged axila nodes and several palpable inguinal nodes. The consultant said the two hard nodes were just a part of my jaw bone and ordered a CT scan of the head and neck, a neck xray and a chest xray.

The CT scan was completed without contrast as I am allergic to general anaesthetic. The consultant advised that the Chest Xray and CT were completely clear and the reason for the swelling is unclear. I was sent home with a barrage of strong pain killers and an outpatient appointment for two weeks time.

I noticed on my discharge form that the consultant had noted I had shotty nodes over the temporalmandibular legion, after looking up where this area is located I found that she was referring to the two hard lumps beneath my earlobes that I had asked her about.

My question is the CT surely diagnosed the so called 'bone' as nodes so does that also mean that the diagnosis of shotty nodes is exact? Can a CT scan differeniate between shotty nodes and lymphoma?

Last edited by jewelm; 02-27-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
(female)

Lucy126 HB User
Re: Can a CT differeniate between shotty nodes and lymphoma?

My Follicular Lymphoma was found first in the parotid gland. I had swelling on the side of my face and several lymph nodes that were also swollen, lots of "shotty" nodes throughout my neck. It took me almost 6 months to get a doctor to actually do a fine needle biopsy on the swollen nodes within the parotid gland. This progressed to a surgical biopsy of several nodes and excision of my parotid gland. Two of the enlarged nodes were not cancerous but the ones inside the parotid gland were. I had had several CT's and MRI's and had been repeatedly told that everything was benign. I knew that I didn't feel right and had alot of pain in my neck. In short, they cannot always tell just with an ultrasound, CT or MRI if a node is cancerous. Have the ultrasound but if you are not comfortable with the explanation keep going until you find someone willing to do an acutual biopsy. If I had just listened to the ENT, the oral surgeon, the general surgeon and my family doctor (who refused to refer me for a biopsy), I may still be undiagnosed. Good luck.

Closed Thread