It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
(female)

sarak99 HB User
Red face 19 and scared.

Hi all, I'm new here and I'm hoping to get some advice!
In October of 2009, I had mono. After doing some online research on lymphoma, I have read that this can be something that causes lymphoma later on. After my mono ended, my lymph nodes stayed enlarged. I ignored it for months until one day when I was feeling my neck and the right side of my neck seemed even more enlarged than it had been, right under my jaw. I went to my doctor, and was sent to get an ultrasound. I was told several of my lymph nodes in my neck were visible, but it was nothing serious or to be worried about.

Just a week ago, I had a CT scan done again on my neck for the same reason. (I'm just really worried about all this, so I went back to my doctor again). The results showed, again, several large lymph nodes in my neck..except this time I was told I had a swollen salivary gland as well. I talked to my doc and she said that probably all this time, while I was thinking that the lump was my main swollen lymph on the right side of my neck, it has actually been the salivary gland. I don't even know why a salivary gland and lymphs would all be swollen in my neck area! If it is an infection, its been a really persistent and long-lasting one!!

So to sum everything up, I have had a swollen salivary gland as well as several swollen lymphs for over a year and a half now. I feel like I can't breathe, and I can feel a lymp pushing on my windpipe. Not only is it annoying becuase I can't breathe, but it is a constant reminder that something might be wrong with me!! I have extreme constant stiffness in my neck, as well as an aching in my salivary gland area. I feel very fatigued, and am on synthroid to help boost my energy levels because my thyroid levels are slightly low.
I'm in college right now, and I just can't handle this kind of stress. My cousin and my grandfather both had non-hodgekin's lymphoma, so it makes me extra worried that it may run in my family.

It makes me so nervous because every time I say something about it to my doc, she says "just to keep an eye on it." Would it be ridiculous to ask to just have it removed?? Whether it is lymphoma or not, it is uncomfortable and it makes me constantly worry. Sorry this is so long, but thanks so much to anyone who took their time to read it! Any advice/comments would be wonderful

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
(female)

sarak99 HB User
Re: 19 and scared.

Can anyone please offer some advice? My symptoms are only getting worse-stiff muscle pain in shoulder, aching ear that the swelling is under, fatigue, some nights I get slight night sweats (I don't wake up drenched, just really hot and slightly sweating for no reason)...and just a general dull aching sensation along my neck/collarbone area on my right side.

Did anyone go through anything like this?

Old 03-28-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer78 HB User

Hello,
First of all, take a deep breath.
You've had all the proper tests and are under a doctor's care.
You need to stop doing so much research online about lymphoma...
Your ultrasound & CT scan would have shown any abnormalities, especially cancer.
Have you taken any antibiotics? Maybe an occasional Tylenol would help.
You should probably let your doctor know how much stress this is causing you.
If your insurance allows, perhaps you could get a 2nd opinion to set your mind at ease.
Take care, and try to relax & focus on your studies.

Singer

Old 03-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
(female)

sarak99 HB User

Thank you, I really appreciate your post. I understand that I must sound crazy and a hypochondriac or something..but I just need someone to actually listen to me. Its just frustrating to have symptoms that lead me to believe I have something so scary, and to have everyone tell me to just "keep an eye on it, just in case." I am going to try and relax now though

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: sarak99
Hodgkins2003 (04-10-2011), singer78 (03-29-2011), worrywartmom39 (05-09-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
(female)

terr828 HB User

Hi there,

I know you posted this a while ago, however I was just wondering how you are doing ?
I'm going through basically the same thing right now, I just had my ultrasound this morning and am waiting to speak to my doctor. I'm extremely nervous and scared and understand where you are coming from! I hope you are doing well xx

Old 07-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
(female)

sarak99 HB User

Hi! I'm doing ok. I haven't been to my doctor in 2 or 3 months because everyone just keeps telling me I have nothing to worry about. My lymph nodes/ salivary gland is still swollen on my right side along with a dull aching feeling. I have had a persistent cough for the past month or so, as well. So my symptoms are still here, but my loved ones and doctor just keep teling me it's nothing. I still worry though, because I have a weird gut feeling that keeps telling me something is wrong.

How were the results of your ultrasound? And did you, by any chance, have mono before your symptoms started? Just curious because not a lot of people have said anything about having mono, and that's how my lymph node swelling all got started. I try to tell myself sometimes that I could possibly just have ever-swollen lymph nodes from when I did have mono, but then I don't understand how my salivary gland got all swollen. Nothing makes sense!

Closed Thread