It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
(male)

Olivet7 HB User
Follicular Gd 1 Stg 4

I've been battling this cancer for a year. The most difficult aspect of the cancer is the extreme exhaustion and constant sickness due to a compromised immune system. I'm 45 and was diagnosed in May 2010. So, I just passed my one year anniversary.

I understand that prognosis is difficult. But I'm wondering if anyone contracted my type of cancer at roughly the same age and can share a bit about life expectancy and quality issues. Hope this makes sense.

Jim

Old 06-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Re: Follicular Gd 1 Stg 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivet7 View Post
I've been battling this cancer for a year. The most difficult aspect of the cancer is the extreme exhaustion and constant sickness due to a compromised immune system. I'm 45 and was diagnosed in May 2010. So, I just passed my one year anniversary.

I understand that prognosis is difficult. But I'm wondering if anyone contracted my type of cancer at roughly the same age and can share a bit about life expectancy and quality issues. Hope this makes sense.

Jim
I am the same grade and stage as you but have been lucky not have had any problems since treatment in 2006. This year I have had two colds and other minor ailments and hope it is not a sign of recurrence. But I feel fine. Mine was in the mesentery so it is only if I get a scan that I will know. I am a lot older than you!

I don't think anyone can really say what the prognosis is as everyone is different and there are new treatments being used all the time. I am sure you have spoken to your oncologist about your compromised immune system and exhaustion. Is your diet healthy? Do you exercise? It did take me a couple of months after treatment to feel good again but really not too long.

Last edited by Nassau one; 06-05-2011 at 08:52 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nassau one For This Useful Post:
Olivet7 (06-05-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
(male)

Olivet7 HB User

Hi. Yes, I try to exercise regularly and eat a balanced diet - aiming for thee meals a day. I have had pneumonia twice in two months. That makes exercise pretty challenging. I have felt a bit better this week.

Thanks for replying. It's just comforting to talk to someone going through the same thing.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

You are welcome. I do hope you feel better soon. Pneumonia twice In two months? That is rough! Are you on maintenance Rituxan, or has your treatment finished. I did six months Rituxan with four months Fludarabine and three months Cytoxan. I found the chemotherapy difficult but doable and the Rituxan much easier to tolerate but they can all do a number on white blood cells.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nassau one For This Useful Post:
Olivet7 (06-06-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
(male)

Olivet7 HB User

Hi. Yes, I'm on a 2-year Rituxan maintenance plan; although, it has been delayed because I haven't been healthy enough to handle it. My wbc count hover around 1. I am taking the IVIG (antibody infusion) monthly. The first time I noticed a marked difference, but not so much the second time. I have both IVIG and Rituxan infusions scheduled for early next week. Blood will show whether I can handle Rituxan or not. If not, I'll probably have a Neulasta shot - which I always dread. It is really painful for the back of my skull and my spine - also my sternum.

I chose the Bendamustine regiment for my chemo. I had the initial six with Rituxan and that knocked down lymph swelling. Some of the nodes in my mid section were as large as oranges. My spleen was twice the size of normal. Bendamustine did a number on all of that. I'm hopeful I won't have to do that again anytime soon.

I agree with you on the Rituxan. I can tolerate the infusion (although, it makes me VERY tired), but the weakened immune system really is the pits. I sometimes wonder if my body will ever normally produce wbcs again.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I wish there was something we could eat or drink which would raise our wbc levels. Mine is around 3.1 since treatment and even that concerns me. I never had to have Neulasta but have heard it is painful. As my lymphoma is indolent and therefore incurable, so they say, I do think what treatment I will go for next time. I might try and avoid the Fludara as that is a real wbc killer! But, as I said before, most of the treatments seem to have a similar effect. My nodes too responded very quickly to treatment. I had numerous (never was told how many that is!) enlarged nodes in mesentery, the largest being 2.5 centimetres. I will have a scan in early September to see if they are still small enough to be acceptable. I hope you get stronger as time goes on. It seems to be a matter of weighing up the importance of the treatment against the negative affects it can have on the body.

Closed Thread

Tags
follicular, life expectancy, stage 4 lymphoma