It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
(female)

jackietran HB User
Lump on right side of neck. Currently taking antibiotics...

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking around this message board and I love how supportive and informative everyone is! Here is my story.. I would love to hear some opinions.

On March 9th, I was driving to work and just spontaneously started touching the base of my neck. Although I couldn't see the lump in the mirror, I definitely felt a ball-shaped lump. I didn't worry too much about it - I figured I'd give it some time before I actually would start panicking. Exactly a week later (March 16), the lump was still there so I decided to go to urgent care. The doctor there had me take some a CBC and blood chemistry tests. He said it was the lump was on my supraclavicular lymph node. Later on that night I felt another small lump in the back of neck except this was is just hard and does not feel "ball-shaped" - it's just puffed up.

My blood tests came back normal. I decided to see another physician and he prescribed me antibiotics (Cephalexin) this past Tuesday (March 20) thinking it might be caused by a bug bite that was on my back. I have taken them on time, but my lumps are still there. I don't think it grew bigger, but it hasn't gotten smaller.

I do not have a history of swollen lymph nodes when I am sick/have infections/have allergy reactions. I have not been sick in the last 2-3 months. I have been extremely tired (but unsure if it's just work, stress, or just plain ol' psychological from all this) to where I am just falling asleep right after I get home from work. No night sweats, itchiness. Sometimes I feel a little "hotter" than normal at night, but no fever. My back aches and the intensity is from 1-5 depending on each day....some days I can feel it and it's just annoying and other days I just want to lie down and do nothing else. I'm not sure if there is a correlation between that and the lumps.

My question is ... (and I know it may vary from person to person) ... how long after I take antibiotics should I see some difference in my lump if it is indeed some bacterial infection? Should I be worried? Are the symptoms I am experiencing be a sign of something else?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
(female)

cardshark HB Usercardshark HB User
Re: Lump on right side of neck. Currently taking antibiotics...

Hi and welcome to the boards!
Sorry to hear of the issues you are having.
As to your questions: Lymph nodes can remain swollen/enlarged for a long time after an infection/cold/illness/etc.; however, as you guessed it is one of those things that varies from person to person. I believe normal "rule of thumb" is if a lymph node has been swollen/enlarged for 3-4 weeks for no known reason it should be checked by a doctor. If the lymph node is painful it is more likely an infection. Is the are of the lymph node warmer to the touch than normal or other areas?

Old 03-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
(female)

jackietran HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardshark View Post
Hi and welcome to the boards!
Sorry to hear of the issues you are having.
As to your questions: Lymph nodes can remain swollen/enlarged for a long time after an infection/cold/illness/etc.; however, as you guessed it is one of those things that varies from person to person. I believe normal "rule of thumb" is if a lymph node has been swollen/enlarged for 3-4 weeks for no known reason it should be checked by a doctor. If the lymph node is painful it is more likely an infection. Is the are of the lymph node warmer to the touch than normal or other areas?
Nope.. I don't feel any difference in temperature at all. Is that a reason for concern if I don't feel a difference in temperature? The area has turned slightly dark as if it is bruising. Perhaps it is from me, but I just touch throughout the day pretty lightly just to see if it's getting smaller and that the antibiotics is working. I also noticed two bruised areas right under my diaphragm last night. The bruised areas under my diaphragm actually hurt to the touch. I was laying in bed one day and felt that area "hurt" and asked my boyfriend if there was some kind of bruise, because I felt some pain to it. He said there was and I had checked it in the mirror myself. Could there be a correlation among all these symptoms?

I will be seeing my doctor for a follow-up on Tuesday (7 days into antibiotics).

Old 03-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
(female)

cardshark HB Usercardshark HB User

No, not noticing a temperature variation is a good thing. It sounds like more than likely the enlargement is due to the infection. My suggestion is to mention it to doctor and keep an eye on them. If you notice change recontact your doctor or if they don't get smaller within a couple of months after going off the antibiotics.

Closed Thread