It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
(female)

WorriedIrishMam HB User
12 Year Old Boy enlarged Spleen and Swollen Nodes

Hi, 6 weeks ago my 12 year old son discovered a lump on his neck, after having a look myself I discovered another one on the other side, being cautious I took him to my doctor who discovered another lump in his groin, he was referred to see a consultant and given anitbiotics, however 2 weeks after the doctor's visit I noticed the lumps had gotten bigger, I was advised to take him to A and E, where he was sent to Paeds Assessment Clinic, the doctor was very thorough and discovered more lumps near his collarbone, he had blood taken which was normal and was then sent home and asked to come back in 2 weeks to check his weight, the next day he had a pain in his chest, which got worse and led to him having an asthma attack ( he suffers occasionally with asthma but never chest pains ) he was put on a nebuliser, x-rays were taken and all looked fine and was given steroids. When we returned for the weight check the doctor said he should have an ultrasound, this was done the next day and we were told by the radiologist his spleen was enlarged, the doctor then saw us and said this was nothing to worry about and to wait until his appt with the consultant, the appt that was originally made on the first doctor's visit!!!! The doctor took more blood tests and said they would take a few weeks for results to come back. Now, am I being paranoid, I feel like they are missing something here, my son,apart from the asthma is a healthy kid, I never give him tablets or medicine unless its serious! I have to wait 3 weeks until I take him to the consultant and I dont want to be dismissed at this appt either. Please Help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: 12 Year Old Boy enlarged Spleen and Swollen Nodes

The most likely explanation is mononucleosis or a similar infection. (Yes, mono can happen in young children.)

Has he lost weight? Do you know what blood tests have been done? Has he had a fever?

Old 04-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
(female)

Jaye66 HB UserJaye66 HB UserJaye66 HB User

My first thought was also mono. My son had that a couple of years ago. Good luck! Please keep us posted.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:15 AM   #4
(female)

WorriedIrishMam HB User

Sorry, I meant to say on both sets of blood tests done, it came back negative for mono, there was significant weight loss, 5 pounds in 1 week. There has been no fevers either, my son loves his food and lately he seems to be leaving half his evening meal on his plate. Thanks for replying.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Now, a mono test CAN be negative even when you have the disease. Happens surprisingly often.

With leukemia or lymphoma, the regular blood count (things like white cells and red cells) is usually significantly abnormal. So if he had a normal CBC, that's a good sign.

I'm not sure what tests they ran that are going to take time. Possibly tests for other types of infection?

You can call the consultant, explain how worried you are that he is losing a lot of weight, and ask if it is possible to have him seen earlier.

If he develops a fever or any other alarming symptoms, take him back to emergency.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
(female)

WorriedIrishMam HB User

Thank you so much for your quick response, I almost wish it was Mono, he has had absolutely no symptoms though, just discovered today while looking at Christmas photographs the swelling on his neck has been there since then, just bigger now! I am keeping a close eye on him until we see the consultant.

Closed Thread