It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
(female)

bella1966 HB User
can you go through RCHOP with no support?

hello,
my 41 year old single brother has follicular lymphoma, stage 1, and being advised to have 4 rounds of rchop. having had cancer myself and gone through chemo (breast cancer), i know it is no walk in the park. i realize the rchop regimen is pretty tough to handle. i am wondering if you think it is reasonable for someone to go through the treatment alone or if it is imperative to have someone there for you? i cant imagine having gone through chemo alone, but everyone is different. I am wondering about how severe side effects . thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
(female)

cardshark HB Usercardshark HB Usercardshark HB User
Re: can you go through RCHOP with no support?

Hi & welcome to the boards!
Sorry to hear of your past experience and your brother's diagnosis. I can tell you from having gone through cancer 4 times myself that it doesn't matter how strong someone is, a good support system is a must! That may be family, friend, church group, etc. but good support from someone other than the medical staff is very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella1966 View Post
hello,
my 41 year old single brother has follicular lymphoma, stage 1, and being advised to have 4 rounds of rchop. having had cancer myself and gone through chemo (breast cancer), i know it is no walk in the park. i realize the rchop regimen is pretty tough to handle. i am wondering if you think it is reasonable for someone to go through the treatment alone or if it is imperative to have someone there for you? i cant imagine having gone through chemo alone, but everyone is different. I am wondering about how severe side effects . thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
(female)

Alabamagal51 HB User

Hi bella, my dad was recently diagnosed with Mantle Cell Lymphoma, wich is very agressive, so he has been on the RCHOP treatment. You have to understand, he is 72 and was pretty advanced when diagnosed, so don't know if your brother has more strength to start with. He takes a pill to protect his liver, and has not had any vomitting yet, but did have a reaction to the Retuxin i believe it is called after two treatments and now i think they have stopped that one. Overall, i would say your brother may need to have someone with him at first to see how he handles it. He may do just fine. Will he have to get a marrow building shot the day after RCHOP? That can be painfull in their long bones. It gets my dad down more than the chemo i think. Anyhow, much love to you and your brother, and i will pray for speedy recovery!!

Old 06-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

I am sorry to hear about your brother's diagnosis. Everyone responds to treatment differently but I know both my husband and myself were so glad to have each other as a support during our respective cancers. During my treatment for lymphoma (I had Fludara, Cytoxan and Rituxan) I was able to be quite independent but I do not work so that made it easier for me. I drove myself to my treatments which were not too far away and I managed to carry on household duties, banking and so on. Mind you, I did feel quite spaced out for the six months of treatment. I had some nausea for the first few days after each treatment until they took off the Cytoxan. I wish your brother well.

Closed Thread