It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
(female)

Lisa527 HB User
Just had core biopsy of supraclavicular node

Hi Everyone,

My name is Lisa and I just had a core needle biopsy of my left supraclavicular node. I am in waiting mode. It started in April with a big swelling in my left cervical nodes and I thought it was dental issues. So, finally had root canals done in June. Dentist thought it was dental, but endodontist did not and referred me to my oncologist (I have history of DCIS left breast/Radiation in 2000). Went to a new oncologist I see where I moved to and she didn't think it was anything. Said it felt like muscular. So, did CT scan and some lymph nodes were enlarged and mildly enlarged. The radiologist suggested a pet scan, but he thought my DCIS was invasive and it was not. So, oncologist said she thought it was nothing - swelling on left side had gone down although we could still feel hard nodes and would redo CT in a few months. Well, since I used to go to a wonderful Cancer center I felt like I should go back for a 2nd opinion. Went to my old breast oncologist and they checked me from head to toe and said the CT scan was not really impressive and it definitely did not have anything to do with my breast. So, as a just to be safe sent me to Head and Neck oncology and he didn't think it was anything, but, just to be safe did an MRI. Just got the results of that Monday. Impression said: No appreciable change in enlarged and mildely enlarged left cervical level4 and supraclavicular lymph nodes when dating to CT neck of 6/19/12. Etiology of these lymph nodes are uncertain. Differential diagnosis would include reactive versus metastic lymph nodes and/or lymphoma. Largest left supraclavicular node would be amenable to ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration.
In the report it said the margins of the lymph nodes were not well defined. Largest level 4 cervical node i 1.0 X 1.8 cm and largest supraclavicular node is 1.1 X 1.3 cm. I went yesterday for biopsy (I was surprised this has even gone that far as I thought it would be nothing) and at first U/S tech couldn't see anything they were seeing on MRI, but doctor came in and was able to find the supraclavicular node behind clavicle. After discussing what to do with other doctors she came back and they decided to do an core needle biopsy instead of the fine needle biopsy. Which made me feel better as I know they get a better sample. I was having terrible hot flashes for awhile and this constant itching on my hand and last year I had terrible itching on my feet and legs that has now subsided. Hand itching on left side still there. Hot flashes not as bad, but I am also premenopausal and have not had a period since March. I have had tons of stomach issues and am due to go back to my GI doctor for more tests. Also, issues with female stuff and am due for another ultrasound there as well. Just wanted to know if anyone who tested positive had a similar MRI? I am hoping to have results early next week.

Thanks,

Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
(female)

ScarlettA HB User
Re: Just had core biopsy of supraclavicular node

Lisa - I just came upon your message, and I see that it's been over a month since you wrote. I hope that your biopsies and MRI came out okay? My husband has lymphoma, but he's never had any of the symptoms that you've been having. There are so many different kinds of lymphomas, and it seems that no two are exactly alike. I hope that you're feeling much better now. I'll light a candle in your name tonight in the on-line candle site.
Best wishes and warm hugs for you - Scarlett

Old 09-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
(female)

Lisa527 HB User

I apologize for not replying. I got my results back and it showed follicular hyperplasia. My head and neck oncologist was on vacation so I talked to the resident doctor. At first when he said follicular, my heart sunk and then he said hyperplasia. He did say that it was a small sample they got, but there was no cancer. He said they will continue to follow me, so I have to make an appointment to go back within the next couple of weeks. Thank you for asking about it. I was curious if anyone had a core biopsy and the diagnosis was this, but turned into lymphoma? I am just trying to believe it is all good though. I am at a a top cancer hospital in Detroit, MI. So, I have to believe I am in the best of hands.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
(female)

Lisa527 HB User
UpdateRe: Just had core biopsy of supraclavicular node

I had a core biopsy of left supraclavicular node that came back as follicular hyperplasia. I was relieved and have felt so good knowing it was benign. The Head and Neck Oncologist told me to come back in 6 weeks for follow up. So, I have an appointment Monday. But, today I noticed my left side of my neck felt stiff and funny and as I rubbed my hand over the spot either close to the biopsy or where they did it I felt an enlarged node through the skin. I was just at a new PCP last Friday and he felt my neck and there was nothing. I even felt nothing. I haven't been trying to touch it or anything because I certainly don't want to aggravate anything. So, now I am somewhat worried because there was nothing there before. I know many of you have had core biopsies that were positive and many that were negative. I am hoping this is a fluke and it will go away. But, thankful my appointment with the oncologist is monday. I didn't tell them about this because I knew I was seeing him Monday. Wondering if he will u/s it or just do excisional? Any body have any input?

Old 09-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: UpdateRe: Just had core biopsy of supraclavicular node

I would think that with a new node popping up, they would want to do an excisional biopsy. There is so much more tissue to work with than the needle biopsies. Since this has been persisting, I would feel better doing that. The itching and hot flashes could actually be related, especially if they are night sweats. Have you had a chest xray or CT scan of chest or abdomen to look at other node sites? I think a PET scan would be helpful too as that would show increased activity in any abnormal nodes. I hope you get a good workup to allay your concerns and get to the bottom of it. Keep us posted.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
(female)

Lisa527 HB User

Yes, I am thinking he will do an excisional biopsy. I am at a top notch cancer center so I have faith I am in good hands. I just did not expect this at all. Was feeling great about the follicular hyperplasia! One thing that stuck in my head was the Resident Oncologist did say on the phone it was a small sample. But, they did get 5 pieces. Anyway, I certainly was surpised and scared to feel this new lump in the place where I just had the biopsy a few weeks ago. I have never even felt the node that showed up on the MRI, so to be able to feel a lump today through my skin was a bit worrisome. Thanks for responding!

Old 09-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #7
(female)

Lisa527 HB User

And no I have not had a chest xray or stomach or Pet Scan. I have a history of DCIS left side stage 0 lumpectomy and radiation. I am seeing a Head and Neck Oncologist now at the Karmanos Center in Detroit, Mi. It is the same place I had my radiation for breast cancer. I have had ongoing gi issues and female issues for about the last 3 years. I certainly was freaked out today when I felt this node that I had never felt - especially it being in the supraclavicular node. I am just really glad I see the doctor Monday.
Trying not to stress, but a little difficult today.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:07 AM   #8
(female)

lani1234 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettA View Post
Lisa - I just came upon your message, and I see that it's been over a month since you wrote. I hope that your biopsies and MRI came out okay? My husband has lymphoma, but he's never had any of the symptoms that you've been having. There are so many different kinds of lymphomas, and it seems that no two are exactly alike. I hope that you're feeling much better now. I'll light a candle in your name tonight in the on-line candle site.
Best wishes and warm hugs for you - Scarlett
Lisa:

I too have just gotten over DCIS bilateral last March still in reconstruction mode.
I did not have it in my lymph nodes. At the same time I was diagnosed they found 2 enlarged lymph nodes in my pelvic region. They did a PET scan and literally thought I had NHL. I had a core needle biopsy and it came back negative. At that time I suffered from fevers and drenching nights sweats. All this seem to subside after the bilateral was done. 2 weeks ago my left supraclavicular node swelled up 2 CM. I went see my onco right away. Although it is waxing and waning they are not taking any chances, full node being taken out. Core needles do not have good rate of seeing small amounts.
My fevers are back and I am having what I call the itchy's from time to time. Night sweats are little here and there. I am too with one of the best oncologists there is. I would ask for the full biopsy. I am concerned now, that from the core needle I did back in March, they did not see it all, and now it has traveled. My prayers are with you on further diagnosis. I have an identical twin sister, who was also diagnosed with DCIS 4 years prior. It was not invasive in the breast tissue, but jumped to stage 3 in her lymph nodes. Doctors were to say the least flabbergasted. This is why I am being aggressive. We are also negative for BCRA gene. Be diligent and demand they retest.

Closed Thread