It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
(female)

sarahm472 HB User
Is a chest x-ray okay to rule out Hodkin's Lymphoma?

I found these lumps on my collarbone a few months ago. I went to the doctor about them yesterday and she was afraid that I could have Hodgkin's Lymphoma because of the lumps and my symptoms of fatigue. After a chest x-ray, she said I didn't because the chest x-ray was clear. I wondered if that was a good way to make the diagnosis or if some other method would have been better. Thanks for answering

Old 09-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
(female)

zip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB User
Re: Is a chest x-ray okay to rule out Hodkin's Lymphoma?

To rule it out she would need to do a biopsy of the lumps. A chest x-ray is not perfect and can usually only visualize very large nodes in the mediastinum (fleshy middle part where the heart, esophagus, etc are).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
(female)

sarahm472 HB User

Thanks for answering. My doctor doesn't think that all those are a problem even though I have a big hard lump (about 1/2 an inch wide) behind my ear and a small one at the base of my skull. Since a PA did a chest xray and was worried about lymphoma my doctor got annoyed and won't do anything. She also wouldn't do anything about blood pressure that was 160/90 and extremely low vitamin d for two years until another doctor told her to. I feel like I don't want to make a fuss but I don't want her to make another mistake either. I think that I might ask for a biopsy or CT scan, does anyone think it is important enough to push for it?

Old 09-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
(female)

zip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB User

It is your health. I think that I would push for something to be done, at least monitor them in some way over time, like in 3 months, at least an ultrasound maybe if they are near the surface. I understand what you said about your doctor, that is really too bad. My doctor is like that as well. I go to emerg and they diagnose me with something and she gets mad, and if she is away on vacation and another doctor gives me requisitions for tests she also gets mad. These tests do come back with results and she totally discredits them because she doesn't believe I am sick and she doesn't seem to like actually doing anything or making decisions. My doctor also won't do anything until these other doctors make her. The sad thing is I know she is missing things, and it seems like you realize your doc is missing things too.

Know that it is your health and if you make a fuss it really is no big deal, I think it is better to be safe than sorry - especially if other health professionals are/were concerned.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
(female)

sarahm472 HB User

Sorry to hear about your doctors. I know how frustrating that is! Thanks for the advice

The Following User Says Thank You to sarahm472 For This Useful Post:
zip452 (09-08-2012)
Closed Thread