It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
(female)

Ktay89 HB User
My 6 year old has large swollen lymph nodes on his neck.

I am a bit concerned this past Thursday I noticed that sometime during the school day my sons glands had swollen in the posterior triangle of his neck. One was about the size of a golf ball with other lesser swollen ones surrounding it. The largest one is not hard nor is it soft. The lesser ones are all hard and none move nor do they hurt him. We went to the ER to be told it was lymphadenitis and given antibiotics. The doc did no tests to determine this just an exam of his neck.
So we gave him the antibiotics and waited. Come yesterday morning the swelling has not went down and he still has no symptoms of any infection and he feels fine. So we went to his pediatrician who said "If she had to guess it was mono." He has no symptoms and she let him return to school today. I thought mono was very contagious so her letting him back in school confused me. She did still do a CBC and a few blood cultures.
The tests won't come back for a few days and the cultures not for a few weeks. I am worried this is something more than the doctor is letting on. She is a great doctor but she is one not to give her opinion until she has all the facts and tries to keep us parents from freaking out. If any of this sounds like I need to worry please give me your reasons. And if I'm just being a paranoid mom, I'm ok with hearing that too. I'm just trying to get information.

Closed Thread

Tags
cancer, lymphoma, mono lymphoma, mononucleosis, swollen lymph node