It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
(female)

JJxxy HB User
Worrying over nothing - or something?

Hello and thank you for reading and maybe responding.

I Called my PCP a month ago because the tiredness I had been experiencing since June had gotten worse (not debilitating, just exhausted). In addition, I was having on and off bouts of night sweats where I would wake and be drenched. Also, my face all of a sudden gets really hot, not so much to the touch as it feels internally, and there is no fever. I Asked her to run a CBC and hormone panel (thought perimenopause even though I am 36) and throw in a TSH. CBC was fine except for a few borderline levels, on the high side of normal. Hormone panel showed FSH and LH surpressed and GYN confirmed it was because of BCP (which I have now stopped). TSH was almost 9, hypo was in full gear. Endo called and increased synthroid and suggested an US of thyroid since last one was in 2010.

Had one done 2wks ago at local cancer center (i work there so more convenient and faster). Thyroid came back as expected, consistent with history of Hashimotos.

However, the report indicated mildly prominent bilateral lymph nodes in the level 2 and 3 regions of the neck. The largest on the right measures approx 20x7x8mm. It said a lymph node in the level 3 region of the anterior left neck appears mildly prominent and has an abnormal morphology and demonstrates no normal fatty hila and measures 8x7x7mm. It included additional smaller level 3 lymph nodes in the left neck also do not demonstrate normal fatty hila. Recommendation is for short-term followup US in 3mo.

Endocrinologist got the report and called to tell me since thyroid was fine she needed to turn me back over to my PCP. Called my PCP and she recommended i see a head and neck oncologist to discuss if I should wait the 3mo, ask for an MRI or a biopsy. Made the appt for Oct 22 with the H&N doc.

My question is, could this be a cancer of some kind? And if yes, what would your next step be? And if no, what else could it be?3 months seems forever to wait. I have had no colds, sinus infections or flus since last winter. I have been bad with ***** only to look up some definitions since I didn't know what a normal lymph node size was or what fatty hila was.

Thank you for your feedback and insight. I truly truly appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Worrying over nothing - or something?

The abnormal morphology of the lymph nodes and the one being 2 cm at longest diameter, plus night sweats is concerning and should be followed up. The hypo thyroidism could be causing the fatigue, but not drenching night sweats. The oncologist will likely want to do a biopsy of one of the nodes and possibly a pet scan. I would opt for getting that done now rather than waiting 3 mos. In the event it is a lymphoma, many are curable and the earlier the treatment the better. The oncologist may also uncover some other more benign explanation for the nodes, which would be great news.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
(female)

JJxxy HB User

Thank you ladybud for responding and offering some advice. I will discuss the biopsy option with him in a couple weeks when we meet for my appointment. Thank you again!!

On an aside, a friend of mine who works in the radiology dept where my US was done took a peak at the scan and said because it was so big it could also be a cluster of lymph nodes together. Any insight into that explanation? Wouldn't that be even worse if they were potentially clustering together?

Old 10-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Lymph nodes are usually clustered together. When something affects one node in a region, it often affects them all, like in the case of an infection. A malignancy that has spread from somewhere else usually starts in one node and progresses from there. So this finding doesn't really tell you much. I hope this turns out to be ok for you, but whatever it is you are catching it early which always is the best case for treatment.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
(female)

Lady Rogue HB User

Any news on what you found out? Did they find any nodules in your thyroid? I had a lot of what you are describing and I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer...but mine hadn't spread to the lymph nodes. Did you have a biopsy yet? Let us know!

Closed Thread