It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
(female)

Lynz2015 HB User
Unhappy Is this possibly cancer?

I am 18 years old and about 2 weeks ago I had extreme body aches almost like having the flu that continued for about 2 days and then stopped. After that, I would wake up with a stiff neck and it would bother be throughout the day. Last Friday i noticed a hard lump under my right ear that hurt to touch. I now have another lump on the same side but more up under my jaw bone. They cause a lot of discomfort. They are very hard don't seem to move from place when they are pushed on. I went to my family doctor and all she did was feel on my neck and prescribe amoxicillin because she thought I may be getting an ear infection. I just feel like there may be more that I'm missing and I'm looking for some valuable feedback. Everything I've looked up on the Internet talks about lymphoma and I'm getting really freaked out. Thanks for your time, everyone!

Lynz

Old 10-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
(female)

PurpleSaddle HB UserPurpleSaddle HB User
Re: Is this possibly cancer?

Those hard lumps you are feeling are lymph nodes. Swollen lymph nodes mean that your body is fighting something off. I wouldn't jump to cancer...many things can cause your symptoms such as the common cold. It's only been a couple weeks. Give your body time to do its job

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleSaddle For This Useful Post:
Lynz2015 (10-10-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I would ask your Dr to check you for mono, a viral infection that affects people your age and causes significant lymph node enlargement and pain. It is communicable so knowing if myou have it will allay your fears and help you know what to expect as well as practice preventive measures not to spread it to someone else. Cancerous lymph nodes usually do not hurt. Mono is much more likely.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
Lynz2015 (10-11-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
(male)

Sig45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynz2015 View Post
I went to my family doctor and all she did was feel on my neck and prescribe amoxicillin because she thought I may be getting an ear infection.
Watch out for a full body rash. If you have mono that is a highly likely result of taking amoxicillin. That's what happened to me when I was 17. Docs thought it was a 3rd round of tonsilitis in as many months. Gave me augmentin (amoxicillin plus something to prevent resistant bugs from being resistant). Got a head to toe rash as a result as it was really mono. That was ... unpleasant.

FWIW when I had mono my thoat swelled so much my jawline was not visable (I am 6' and at the time weighed only 155lbs - pretty skinny) and my tonsils were literally touching. I don't remember having a stiff neck, probably because my throat hurt so much that it overwhelmed any other pain symptoms - plus I was just generally out of it.

Last edited by Sig45; 11-13-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:26 AM   #5
(female)

estelle454 HB Userestelle454 HB Userestelle454 HB Userestelle454 HB User

Have a blood test for MONO"Epstien Barr Virus, or the kissing disease. We call it glandular fever here. Could explain all your symptoms. Need a blood test to confirm and ask for this specific test.

Closed Thread