It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
(female)

klarson7 HB User
Lymph Nodes - Opinions

Hello all,

This is my first time posting and I'm looking for some direction/feedback based on your knowledge/experiences.

I am a 21 year old female college student. I've dealt with mild health anxiety since I was a kid. About 4 or 5 years ago, I learned what lymph nodes were and was feeling around and discovered several - 1 on the back of my head, 1 behind my earlobe, 1 on each side under my jaw, and 2 at the bottom of my neck/above my right collarbone. I went to the doctor then, who felt them and said sometimes lymph nodes remain swollen from childhood diseases and I shouldn't worry about them. Relieved, I went along and tried to forget they were there.

Fast forward to this past summer, and for some reason they really started worrying me again. None of them have grown since I discovered them (they may have been there for a very long time as far as I know), but as I've really worked myself into a panic for the past few months because all I read online is that unexplained swollen lymph nodes mean cancer. Two weeks ago, I finally went to the doctor, who very thoroughly checked them out and then did a blood test. She told me that several that I considered swollen are not actually swollen but just palpable, which is normal. She went over my blood test results today and said everything is completely normal and I shouldn't worry about this anymore.

However, I still feel concerned that I don't know why these nodes are swollen (the ones under my jaw are the biggest). I did have strep and swollen throats a lot as a kid, and I have had a lot of dental issues/work that may have affected the nodes under my jaw.

Should I be this concerned? Now that two doctors have told me they're nothing to worry about, should I just move on? Or should I push to have a node biopsied?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
(female)

estelle454 HB Userestelle454 HB Userestelle454 HB Userestelle454 HB User
Re: Lymph Nodes - Opinions

The only way you can stop worrying and i have been through this is ask for a ct scan with contrast to see if any of your gland are enlarged in the body. Some times doing a boipsy on the ones in the neck will be negative but some in the body will be enlarged. Best way to stop worrying is get a complete check. good luck.

Closed Thread

Tags
lymph node, lymphoma, lymphoma anxiety