It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 02:08 AM   #1
(male)

kafkaeske HB User
Lymph Nodes in Groin + Night Sweats

Hello everyone,
First off thank you for taking the time to read these posts and answer them, especially for those of you who have been diagnosed with the disease and still take time to answer those of us who are afraid of having it but might just never actually have it.

I had never heard of this disease before my girlfriend mentioned it about 2 months ago (end of November 2012) when I told her I was having night sweats as well as a low grade fever. The night sweats were enough to wake me up but I wouldn't have to actually change pyjamas or anything, but bad enough to make me have to change the bed sheets after 3 nights. I would wake up with my pyjamas stuck on my body as if it had been glued. The night sweats went away after a week or so. I went to my doctor and he said I had a swollen ganglion in my throat but I told him that I've always had that since I was a kid, my child doc asked my parents if they wanted them to take it out but my parents said no (hippies...). I did some blood work and everything came back normal except for a vitamin D deficiency as well as a high Alkalin Phosphatase count (345 units) and very bad allergies.

Mid December all the symptoms went away. On January 1st I went to a museum and felt a swollen lymph node in my neck as I was looking at a photograph. I suddenly realized that maybe it wasn't supposed to be there. It's definitely not big at all, about half a cm. I went back to see my doctor, he said it wasn't big enough to be concerned about. He said he could feel one in my armpit as well but again, not big enough. A week later I started to feel lymph nodes in my groin area, bigger than the one in my neck (about 1cm). I can feel 2 or 3 in my right groin and 2 in my left (that sometimes feels like one long lymph node, but I think it's just two really close to each other). I went back and he said that they were indeed a bit swollen but again, not enough to be concerned about. He said that maybe I just have big lymph nodes. I ordered new blood test to check if my Alkalin Ph. had gone down.

About 3 nights ago I started having mild night sweats again, only on my legs this time, and definitely not as bad as the ones I experienced in December. I wake up and feel as if my legs had been sprayed on by some cheap water spray for just 2 seconds. This wouldn't worry me so much if I had not read articles on this forum and other forums about people who have been undiagnosed with Lymphoma for a long time because their docs thought that nothing was wrong with them. I even read a post about a girl who had only-leg night sweats who passed away 4 years ago because she was diagnosed too late. I don't know how big her lymph nodes were though, she didn't mention on the post I read. She did say that when she would wake up her body would feel very hot to the touch (her husband would tell her that she's warming the entire room). I'm the opposite, my temperature is somewhere in between 97 and 98 although I do feel hot when I wake up.

My blood work came back two days ago and my Alkalin Phosphatase are back to normal (281, normal is between 100/300) but my Neutrophils Count is a bit low (43% normal is 45%-70%). Everything else is fine (except for the terrible allergies). I also did two radios of my chest and groin and they came back just fine.
I begged my doctor to run other tests to rule out Lymphoma but he said that it would be a waste of time since my symptoms are way too mild, my lymph nodes not big enough and my blood work too perfect. He said that the lab wouldn't do a biopsy because lymph nodes have to be at least 2,5cm to be biopsied. He said I could do a CT or PET scan but was worried about me getting too much radiation for nothing (I've had three radios this month, two for this and one for a tooth problem).

My question is this: should I be concerned and if yes should I get a PET or CT scan, knowing that it would be a lot of radiation in just one month? Is it true that you can't really have lymphoma if you don't have even one lymph node bigger than 2cms?

I am 25, male, do not drink nor smoke. I have one grandfather who's had Leukemia for about 4 years (still hanging on!) and my other grandfather's sister died from skin cancer about 5 years ago. That's pretty much it, everyone else is cancer-free (brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents, parents).
Also, I'm very skinny (always been), which probably makes it easier to feel my lymph nodes (which aren't big enough for me to see through the skin, by the way, I have to palpate).

Thank you!

Last edited by kafkaeske; 02-03-2013 at 02:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
hodgkin's, lymphoma, non-hodgkin's lymphoma