It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 05:07 AM   #1
(female)

PW06 HB User
B Cell Lymphoma - Started Chemo

I am a 64 yr. old male. Up untill last November was in excellent health. Because of pain, I was found have a lump size of large orange near my stomach. No pain until it started pressing on nerves, aorta, stomach and pancrease. Then PAIN!! I've lost almost 40 lbs in 3 months. On morphine since diagnosis waiting for all the test results. Diffuce large B cell lymphoma stage 1. Oncologist said it was curable. First round of R-CHOP 10 days ago and today I'm starting to feel like myself again. Had desperate problems with constipation due to morphine. Now I'm almost off the nasty stuff. Also abdominal cramping. Don't know if it was from morphine, chemo or the combo. Keep trying new things for constipation. Laxatives seem to give me terrible gas pains. Right now on prunes and Bran Buds and no cramping yet. Also have no appitite but I must eat to regain my strength. Eleven more days till next round. Not looking forward to it but am looking forward to when this is all a distant memory.
If anyone has been through this and can enlighten me I would appreciate it.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
(female)

Sleepwalker470 HB User
Re: B Cell Lymphoma - Started Chemo

Hello PW,
My husband was recently diagnosed with Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma and started chemo at the same time you did. He also had terrible constipation but it has eased since he is not presently taking prednisone. I hope you will post updates on your progress as we seem to be on the same journey at the same time (although my husband is Stage 2, Bulky). Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
(female)

PW06 HB User

Second round of chemo tomorrow. Blood test today. Dr. Told me my blood test was very unusual. There were no cancer markers left in my blood (can't remember what they are called) after just one treatment. I was told it was stage 1 cancer. Still having trouble getting off morphine. Not sleeping much because of it. I guess it takes time to get off. Chemo doesn't affect me as much as the side effects of morphine.
Sleepwalker 470 keep us posted about your husband

Old 03-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

My mother had the same lymphoma 3 years ago at age 84. Stage 3, and she is absolutely fine now with no evidence of cancer. Treated with CHOP as well. It worked and saved her life. Rough year though with losing all her hair, etc. but she is great now! So good luck to you both. You are in an earlier stage so that is good. The CHOP protocol seems to be very effective at erradicating lymphoma of this type.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
(male)

lakeperson2 HB User

DLBCL Aug 2011/6X R-CHOP/Clean since Dec 2012

First deal here: tell your Oncologist EVERYTHING you are experiencing or feeling during chemo. This is not new to them, they have heard it all before and for each issue they should prescribe a remedy. Each visit o the Onc or even during cycles when I waqs not feelign well they taught to call 24/7 and explain to them the issues. Extremely responsive team, but more important even while this feels terrible to us this is not rocket science, they have been through this, this is treatable.

Constipation: for me it was taking Colace periodically then after 3rd cycle taking it every day to keep me regular.

Expect Hair loss arounf the time you begin your 2nd chemo cycle. Big deal....but better than dying.

Cancer markers in blood: Hmm, this never came up in my case as the protocol is so figured out. Had weekly blood chemistry checks to make sure counts were not too low, even then they can booster that up.

Hey, best of luck and just know that this is doable. I have to tell you, my Onc told me after the diagnosis that "you do what we tell you, you will probably be okay, if you don't choose to do what we tell you, you probably will not be okay." well, that was clear, focused and enough to straighten me up and fly right!

Take care and good luck

Old 03-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
(female)

Sleepwalker470 HB User

Thanks for the replies. DH went for weekly blood work today and counts have recovered well. I'm hoping that next week's chemo will also be relatively uneventful. Did you find that you reacted very differently to each treatment?

Old 03-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
(male)

lakeperson2 HB User

"Reacted very differently to each treatment?"

Not really, but the fatigue does increase, the chemo drugs tend to be a little cumulative and you just may be dragging more. BUT that is to be expected, and what we know makes it more tolerable!

Just read a post by someone else during chemo who advised that ANYTHING you feel - or don't - should be talked qabout with your nurse - they have seen it all and can help.

Keep on keepin'.......

Old 03-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
(female)

Sleepwalker470 HB User

Reporting after second round of chemo for DH. He's doing well all things considered. Maintaining his weight and is able to eat. He did shave his head on the weekend. Now he looks like Sean Connery.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Thanks for your update. We all wish him and you well and the best outcome - a 100% cure. Keep up your strength and faith!

Old 04-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
(female)

Beehappee HB User

thanks Ladybug, PW and Lakeperson. My Dad had is first chemo Rchop last monday, April 1st. He's been miserable with pain in his chest/shoulder area for 2 months and was not able to lay down and sleep. His lymph nodes were enlarged and they said he is in advanced stages but the chemo should take care of it. Already, he slept in bed last night! He's really tired , but, he's 85!! The doctor said he has 5 more treatments left. So glad for your ideas/thoughts/help. I will pass them on to him. Hopefully, he will live thru this and have a few more years !!! Thanks everyone!

The following user gives a hug of support to Beehappee:
Withered (04-03-2013)
Reply Reply