It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
(male)

antianimosity HB User
Lumps in Neck and in Groin for Several Months Thoughts/Opinions/Similar Experiences

Hello,

I'm not usually a forum poster but I figured what the hey what'ave I got to lose.

21 Y/O Male

So I have had several swollen lymph nodes in my neck for quite some time (first noticed them a year ago) and more seem to continually appear though not at an alarming rate. I also noticed one in the right side of my groin about 3-4 months ago (there's one more on the left side but it's much smaller than the one on the right)

I had a fine needle biopsy done on one of the lymph nodes in my neck last May and the results came back negative. Doctor said to come back if they get worse or something along those lines. Well fast forward about a year later the one they biopsied is still there, hasn't gone down in size and about 4-5 other noticeable one's have appeared since then. I mainly shrugged it off after the FNA since I figured it was nothing because the results came back negative. I finally convinced myself about a week ago I should go back to a doctor since more lymph nodes have appeared and have grown in size over the past few months.

I've always felt rather tired over the the past two years and ended up getting diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia after a sleep study in December of 2011 and also suffer from depression. But as of recently (past 3 months) my fatigue has greatly increased and I also feel physically weak at times (sometimes I feel the need to hunch over or lean against something when I'm standing for just a short time) I'm not an active person but I'm not overweight or too far out of shape. My activity level has greatly decreased over the past year due to a major lack of energy and I've lost a little weight as well (10-15 lbs). I have actually had night sweats for about a year and a half but they come and go and vary in severity. I always seem to be very hot at night and somewhat chilly during the day, though some people's body temperatures do fluctuate. I'm itchy but I wouldn't call it severe or problematic to the point where I would ask a doctor about it. At times my bones feel achy (mainly arms and legs (left leg in particular) but not in the muscles) but again it's not severe or problematic. I also have a feeling of malaise most of the time and just feel "off" like somethings not quite right.

The lymph nodes in my neck range from about 2-4cm maybe 5cm for the largest one. Two of them seem fixed and not movable and are side by side but not symmetrical about an inch up from my Adam's apple. One's smaller than the other and they've both grown since I first noticed them three months ago. I have one behind either ear the one on the right is about the size of a grape and the one on the left is about the size of a blueberry. One large one below my right cheek in my neck about the size of a small cherry tomato (this is the one I had the FNA on and has not gone down in size since last May, I can't say for sure if it's gotten bigger though) The one in my groin is about the size of a lima bean (about an inch in size maybe slightly smaller) and is hard and fixed. There is a pea sized node on the left side but is much less pronounced than the other. There's a few others in my neck but they are much less noticeable and all of them, neck and groin are painless.

I have a doctors appointment this coming Monday but am not overly worried. To me whatever happens, happens and I'm not thinking in terms of what if since it could be any number of things causing the swollen nodes. I'm just mainly hoping to find out if something truly is wrong. I'm more afraid of getting the run-around and the shrug-off than anything else since this is my first time seeing this particular doctor.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts, opinions or similar experiences they'd like to share.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
(female)

Upatnight HB User
Re: Lumps in Neck and in Groin for Several Months Thoughts/Opinions/Similar Experien

I am only recently learning about swollen lymph nodes, causes, biopsy, etc. I am not a doctor. My suggestion would be: Make sure you keep that appointment. Push for answers. Don't let them shuffle you out the door. Tell him/her everything that you want him/her to hear, especially everything you have typed in this post. Have your doctor physically examine you and if your nodes are truly the size that you think they are (confirmed clinically by a professional), then I think you should have them biopsied (not a needle biopsy, have one excised). That is the only true way to rule out Lymphoma and then you can move on to getting you feeling better. Good luck and keep that strong positive attitude you have. Remember, you are the consumer, you are the boss, it's your body. Stand your ground. Be polite, kind, and genuine. If the doctor starts to leave the room and you are not done, simply tell him/her that you need to share a few more things or have a few more questions. And we're all out here because we care about you. Good luck! Post after your appointment please.

Last edited by Upatnight; 04-05-2013 at 08:57 AM.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Lumps in Neck and in Groin for Several Months Thoughts/Opinions/Similar Experien

You have several concerning symptoms that have been going on for some time and getting worse. I am glad you have an appointment, and I would absolutely insist on referral to a surgeon for a node to be excised for biopsy. The nodes you describe are large, getting bigger, and accompanied by very concerning symptoms. Don't let anyone tell you to wait or watch any longer, and needle biopsies for your situation are just plain ineffective. If you have lymphoma, it can generally be treated successfully, but early treatment is essential. The longer you wait, the less chance of a cure. Complacency is outright dangerous right now, either from you or any physician you see.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
(male)

antianimosity HB User

The only lymph nodes I can confirm have grown are the ones in the center of my neck. I haven't been monitoring the others as closely. Two to three months ago (hard to put an exact time frame on it) there was only the one on the left, since then it's changed shape slightly and one on the right appeared. The one on the left is about the size of a pea and the one on the right is about the size and shape of a medium sized peanut. (About 2cm, but it's difficult to measure) The one in the right side of my groin measured between 2.5 and 2cm. I actually never knew about the ones behind my ears until a couple days ago (after I scheduled my doctors appointment) after reading other peoples stories on this forum. I had no idea there were lymph nodes located there so I never thought to check.

I've grown somewhat accustomed to the fatigue and partially attribute it to depression since I do have days where I have energy and days where I don't. I have this gut feeling that it's nothing serious and am doubtful that it's cancer. I just figured that it's worth checking out since the lymph nodes don't seem to be going away.

I will try my best to post an update after the appointment since I see so many posts here without updates from the OP.

The following user gives a hug of support to antianimosity:
Jigglypuff2011 (04-14-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
(male)

antianimosity HB User

Just thought I'd give an update.

I know about as much as I did a couple weeks ago. Doctor seemed concerned and felt all the nodes that were swollen. He ordered a chest X-ray, blood work and a CT scan with contrast. I go in for the CT scan today and have a follow up with the doctor on Monday and an appointment with an ENT doctor the following day.

I feel virtually the same physically (tired, run down) and don't have much of an appetite (though that could just be due to stress) and all the nodes are the same size they were a couple weeks ago.

I'll try to post another update once I find out more information.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Thanks so much for follow up note. Glad you are getting this checked out now and know what is happening in a timely manner. Wish you the best of luck and the best of care with this going forward.

Reply Reply