It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2003, 03:31 AM   #1

ginli HB User
Does anyone have thinning hair r/t menopause??

Not only do i have hot flashes but these last months my hair is getting thinner! Please help! what are some remedies for this besides hair club for women?!!

Old 12-30-2003, 05:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

bjg HB User
Re: Does anyone have thinning hair r/t menopause??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginli
Not only do i have hot flashes but these last months my hair is getting thinner! Please help! what are some remedies for this besides hair club for women?!!
my hair started thinning about one year into menopause...i went to my internist,a dermatologist, and an endocrinologist...i was told that it is hereditary..it happened to my mother too...when estrogen production drops the hair follicles shrink and the hair falls out...my hair was thick and coarse all my life..it is now much thinner and fine..none of the drs could offer me any solutions.. i investigated rogaine..it was trialed only on women between 19 and 45 so the makers do not know if it willl help post menopausal women...i would say it would be worth a try except they told me that in the first few months of use it can cause more hairloss than the person was having ..and if it didnt work to stop or regrow hair i would have less hair than if i hadnt tried it... good luck to you...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2004, 04:18 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User

Hairloss can be hereditary but there are other reasons for it also. Such as, stress, medication(s), iron deficiency, thyroid, to name a few.

Why don't you have your doctor runs some tests to determine what the cause might be and go from there?

Good luck.

Old 01-27-2004, 10:44 AM   #4

bookmouse HB User

You ladies are scaring me. I`m 47 and am only experiencing mild perimenopause. My hair has been falling out for several years now. It`s hereditary. I`ve always had fine hair , so it`s pretty scary to know I may have to buy a wig soon. I hope i`m kidding.

Old 03-08-2004, 04:59 PM   #5

g'ann HB User
Lightbulb Re: Does anyone have thinning hair r/t menopause??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookmouse
You ladies are scaring me. I`m 47 and am only experiencing mild perimenopause. My hair has been falling out for several years now. It`s hereditary. I`ve always had fine hair , so it`s pretty scary to know I may have to buy a wig soon. I hope i`m kidding.
has anyone tried MSM? i go to the feed store and get the horse grade. ( it is 99% pure) and i take 3 tsps a day. it has made my hair thicker in diameter. not sure if it has increased the actual amount of hairs on my head, but my hair sure seems to look and feel thicker. only down side: it takes about 3 months to see any improvement.
g

Old 03-08-2004, 08:57 PM   #6
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginli
5 mg biotin (a B vitamin) + iron + kelp granules. That's what helped stall my hair loss. (genetics bedamned! LOL). You might also want to check out other peri-zappers (from the book Before the Change) or visit Dr. Phil's website and check 'em out. His wife, Robin, swears by the peri-zappers!
Good luck!

Closed Thread