It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2004, 10:18 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
isn't 56 too old for periods?

I have a friend who is going to be 56 years old and still has her periods every month. Sometimes they're quite heavy and long, and many times she'll start a second period before the month has ended. Has anyone else every heard of this? I know everyone goes through menopause at different ages but I've honestly never heard of anyone this old still having them. She did question her doctor about it and the doctor didn't seem too concerned, just told her she can't 'make' her periods stop and they will when her body is ready. Am I being concerned for nothing?

Old 01-23-2004, 11:18 AM   #2

cloverberry HB User
Re: isn't 56 too old for periods?

my friends sister was around that age and she was still having a regular period. With the problems she's having with her periods it sounds like she's in perimenopause right now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2004, 10:02 PM   #3

PJG HB User

I know a woman who was still having regular periods at age 58! Wow did I feel sorry for her. The average age of menopause is 51 but some woman go through it earlier and some later. What age did her mother go through menopause? Usually daughters will hit menopause at the same age their mothers did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverberry
my friends sister was around that age and she was still having a regular period. With the problems she's having with her periods it sounds like she's in perimenopause right now.

Old 01-25-2004, 08:41 AM   #4
Inactive

sweetpoison68 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJG
I know a woman who was still having regular periods at age 58! Wow did I feel sorry for her. The average age of menopause is 51 but some woman go through it earlier and some later. What age did her mother go through menopause? Usually daughters will hit menopause at the same age their mothers did.
Not factual data but i have heard from older women that you will have your period for 30 years..So depending on the age when you start 30 years later or just before you will begin to go thru the change!!!!

Old 01-25-2004, 11:09 AM   #5

PJG HB User

I have been having periods for 40 years. I began at 13 and will be 53 in April. They haven't quit yet! I think 40 years is much more accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpoison68
Not factual data but i have heard from older women that you will have your period for 30 years..So depending on the age when you start 30 years later or just before you will begin to go thru the change!!!!

Old 01-25-2004, 11:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJG
I have been having periods for 40 years. I began at 13 and will be 53 in April. They haven't quit yet! I think 40 years is much more accurate.
Not trying to be funny but there is more than one reason for the biblical story of Abraham and Sarah having a child late in life! You keep ovulating until you run out of eggs or the stimulating hormones to lay them!

Old 01-26-2004, 05:47 AM   #7
Inactive

sweetpoison68 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJG
I thought it was 30 yrs..sorry but i was close....lol
SP68

Last edited by sweetpoison68; 01-26-2004 at 05:50 AM.

Old 01-26-2004, 09:49 PM   #8

PJG HB User

That's o.k. I wish it was just 30 years. I think I've put in my time! lol

Quote:
I thought it was 30 yrs..sorry but i was close....lol
SP68

Old 01-27-2004, 04:46 AM   #9
Inactive

sweetpoison68 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJG
That's o.k. I wish it was just 30 years. I think I've put in my time! lol
I had mine for 22 yrs.I agree you have put in your time and then some..I am glad that part is over for me!! For the past 4 months i have been on a new journey...Surgically induced menopause..YYIIPPEE,LOL..I finally found the right dose of hrt and the hot flashes are far and few between...I went through a major depression as well and thats ALL GONE since i stated on zoloft a month ago and the doc prescribed trazodone for sleep almost 2 weeks ago...Since taking these pills i am a new woman!!!! I have read where alot of women actually require an antidepressant after starting menopause..best of luck to you as you enter the OTHER SIDE....I have found a wonderful place that helps so much with all my questions the last 4 months....Just type in hysterectomy and it will pop up on the list has something to do with sisters..Thats all i can say since i dont want to get banned from here....
SP68

Old 01-27-2004, 10:43 AM   #10

PJG HB User

Thanks. I am going to look for it. I am not taking anything for my menopause symptoms other than vitamins and magnesium. I am planning on starting flaxseed and maybe evening primrose oil. I need something, that's for sure.

Quote:
I had mine for 22 yrs.I agree you have put in your time and then some..I am glad that part is over for me!! For the past 4 months i have been on a new journey...Surgically induced menopause..YYIIPPEE,LOL..I finally found the right dose of hrt and the hot flashes are far and few between...I went through a major depression as well and thats ALL GONE since i stated on zoloft a month ago and the doc prescribed trazodone for sleep almost 2 weeks ago...Since taking these pills i am a new woman!!!! I have read where alot of women actually require an antidepressant after starting menopause..best of luck to you as you enter the OTHER SIDE....I have found a wonderful place that helps so much with all my questions the last 4 months....Just type in hysterectomy and it will pop up on the list has something to do with sisters..Thats all i can say since i dont want to get banned from here....
SP68

Closed Thread