It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2004, 10:18 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 730
kellie2 HB User
isn't 56 too old for periods?

I have a friend who is going to be 56 years old and still has her periods every month. Sometimes they're quite heavy and long, and many times she'll start a second period before the month has ended. Has anyone else every heard of this? I know everyone goes through menopause at different ages but I've honestly never heard of anyone this old still having them. She did question her doctor about it and the doctor didn't seem too concerned, just told her she can't 'make' her periods stop and they will when her body is ready. Am I being concerned for nothing?

 
Old 01-23-2004, 11:18 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: US
Posts: 406
cloverberry HB User
Re: isn't 56 too old for periods?

my friends sister was around that age and she was still having a regular period. With the problems she's having with her periods it sounds like she's in perimenopause right now.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-23-2004, 10:02 PM   #3
PJG PJG is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 97
PJG HB User
Re: isn't 56 too old for periods?

I know a woman who was still having regular periods at age 58! Wow did I feel sorry for her. The average age of menopause is 51 but some woman go through it earlier and some later. What age did her mother go through menopause? Usually daughters will hit menopause at the same age their mothers did.






Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverberry
my friends sister was around that age and she was still having a regular period. With the problems she's having with her periods it sounds like she's in perimenopause right now.

 
Old 01-25-2004, 08:41 AM   #4
Inactive
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 173
sweetpoison68 HB User
Re: isn't 56 too old for periods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJG
I know a woman who was still having regular periods at age 58! Wow did I feel sorry for her. The average age of menopause is 51 but some woman go through it earlier and some later. What age did her mother go through menopause? Usually daughters will hit menopause at the same age their mothers did.
Not factual data but i have heard from older women that you will have your period for 30 years..So depending on the age when you start 30 years later or just before you will begin to go thru the change!!!!

 
Old 01-25-2004, 11:09 AM   #5
PJG PJG is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 97
PJG HB User
Re: isn't 56 too old for periods?

I have been having periods for 40 years. I began at 13 and will be 53 in April. They haven't quit yet! I think 40 years is much more accurate.













Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpoison68
Not factual data but i have heard from older women that you will have your period for 30 years..So depending on the age when you start 30 years later or just before you will begin to go thru the change!!!!

 
Old 01-25-2004, 11:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 897
Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: isn't 56 too old for periods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJG
I have been having periods for 40 years. I began at 13 and will be 53 in April. They haven't quit yet! I think 40 years is much more accurate.
Not trying to be funny but there is more than one reason for the biblical story of Abraham and Sarah having a child late in life! You keep ovulating until you run out of eggs or the stimulating hormones to lay them!

 
Old 01-26-2004, 05:47 AM   #7
Inactive
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 173
sweetpoison68 HB User
Re: isn't 56 too old for periods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJG
I have been having periods for 40 years. I began at 13 and will be 53 in April. They haven't quit yet! I think 40 years is much more accurate.
I thought it was 30 yrs..sorry but i was close....lol
SP68

Last edited by sweetpoison68; 01-26-2004 at 05:50 AM.

 
Old 01-26-2004, 09:49 PM   #8
PJG PJG is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 97
PJG HB User
Re: isn't 56 too old for periods?

That's o.k. I wish it was just 30 years. I think I've put in my time! lol


















Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpoison68
I thought it was 30 yrs..sorry but i was close....lol
SP68

 
Old 01-27-2004, 04:46 AM   #9
Inactive
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 173
sweetpoison68 HB User
Re: isn't 56 too old for periods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJG
That's o.k. I wish it was just 30 years. I think I've put in my time! lol
I had mine for 22 yrs.I agree you have put in your time and then some..I am glad that part is over for me!! For the past 4 months i have been on a new journey...Surgically induced menopause..YYIIPPEE,LOL..I finally found the right dose of hrt and the hot flashes are far and few between...I went through a major depression as well and thats ALL GONE since i stated on zoloft a month ago and the doc prescribed trazodone for sleep almost 2 weeks ago...Since taking these pills i am a new woman!!!! I have read where alot of women actually require an antidepressant after starting menopause..best of luck to you as you enter the OTHER SIDE....I have found a wonderful place that helps so much with all my questions the last 4 months....Just type in hysterectomy and it will pop up on the list has something to do with sisters..Thats all i can say since i dont want to get banned from here....
SP68

 
Old 01-27-2004, 10:43 AM   #10
PJG PJG is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 97
PJG HB User
Re: isn't 56 too old for periods?

Thanks. I am going to look for it. I am not taking anything for my menopause symptoms other than vitamins and magnesium. I am planning on starting flaxseed and maybe evening primrose oil. I need something, that's for sure.














Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpoison68
I had mine for 22 yrs.I agree you have put in your time and then some..I am glad that part is over for me!! For the past 4 months i have been on a new journey...Surgically induced menopause..YYIIPPEE,LOL..I finally found the right dose of hrt and the hot flashes are far and few between...I went through a major depression as well and thats ALL GONE since i stated on zoloft a month ago and the doc prescribed trazodone for sleep almost 2 weeks ago...Since taking these pills i am a new woman!!!! I have read where alot of women actually require an antidepressant after starting menopause..best of luck to you as you enter the OTHER SIDE....I have found a wonderful place that helps so much with all my questions the last 4 months....Just type in hysterectomy and it will pop up on the list has something to do with sisters..Thats all i can say since i dont want to get banned from here....
SP68

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
sudden irregular and long periods aimaom Women's Health 5 07-26-2009 04:22 PM
This isn't making any sense to me bakingnut Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) 0 09-06-2008 08:47 PM
Periods are driving me crazy _mystictiger_ Women's Health 7 09-23-2007 01:41 PM
Getting pregnant with irregular periods dugzgirl Women's Health 13 05-09-2007 10:03 AM
when you know he isn't right for you thesedays Relationship Health 27 10-25-2006 05:10 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Titchou (61), STLouisgal (27), WhistleDixie (21), missy222 (20), solofelix (17), jojopooh (17), irisrose (17), jwatt (10), georgina77 (9), noreaster88 (8)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1136), MSJayhawk (941), Apollo123 (857), janewhite1 (823), Titchou (773), Gabriel (743), ladybud (667), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (655), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:34 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!