It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2004, 10:04 AM   #1

PennyD HB User
Question Low Body Temp

Have any of you experienced low body temp as a symptom of peri-menopause? I know it is a symptom of hypothyroid, but I do not have that. Since my symptoms started my body temp stays between 97.2-97.9. Anyone else have this?
Penny

Old 02-09-2004, 01:15 PM   #2

bodybuildergirl HB User
Re: Low Body Temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyD
Have any of you experienced low body temp as a symptom of peri-menopause? I know it is a symptom of hypothyroid, but I do not have that. Since my symptoms started my body temp stays between 97.2-97.9. Anyone else have this?
Penny
yes, but I have hypo too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2004, 02:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Penny
I've mild hypothyroid and been on med for years. My body temp is usually 97.something (even on med)

From the "Before the Change" book by Ann Louise Gittleman, she states the following readings are indicative of thyroid states:

97.8 - 98.2 - Normally functioning thyroid
Above 98.2 - Hyperthyroid or possible infection
Below 97.8 - Possible Hypothyroid

Molly

Old 02-09-2004, 04:07 PM   #4

PennyD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly123
I've mild hypothyroid and been on med for years. My body temp is usually 97.something (even on med)

From the "Before the Change" book by Ann Louise Gittleman, she states the following readings are indicative of thyroid states:

97.8 - 98.2 - Normally functioning thyroid
Above 98.2 - Hyperthyroid or possible infection
Below 97.8 - Possible Hypothyroid

Molly
Molly,
That is interesting about the temps, I always thought a normal temp was 98.6. I have had my tyroid checked twice in 3 months and boths docs say it is normal.

Old 02-10-2004, 08:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Molly,
That is interesting about the temps, I always thought a normal temp was 98.6. I have had my tyroid checked twice in 3 months and boths docs say it is normal.
Hi Penny,
Well, according the book, it does say 98.2 (but maybe it is the reading to indicate the state of your "thyroid" vs. your body temp). Anyway. it says it has been observed that many perimeno women exhibit symptoms of hypo even with normal thyroid levels due to estrogen excess and progesterone deficiency. It also suggests that you can use the basal temp test as an indicator - record the average temp but avoid Days 10-14 of your cycle as your temp may be elevated because of ovulation. You place a thermometer under your armpit when you wake in the morning (before getting out of bed), lie quietly for 10 mins. and record an average. I know Dr. Phil's wife did this and had to convince several doctors before it was confirmed.

Are you experiencing any of the other common hypo symptoms? I didn't even feel cold or tired. I just thought I had a hard time losing weight considering I was eating and was exercising quite a bit so my dr. tested my thyroid and said I diagnosed borderline/mild hypo.

MOlly

Old 02-10-2004, 09:02 AM   #6

PennyD HB User

Quote:
Hi Penny,
Well, according the book, it does say 98.2 (but maybe it is the reading to indicate the state of your "thyroid" vs. your body temp). Anyway. it says it has been observed that many perimeno women exhibit symptoms of hypo even with normal thyroid levels due to estrogen excess and progesterone deficiency. It also suggests that you can use the basal temp test as an indicator - record the average temp but avoid Days 10-14 of your cycle as your temp may be elevated because of ovulation. You place a thermometer under your armpit when you wake in the morning (before getting out of bed), lie quietly for 10 mins. and record an average. I know Dr. Phil's wife did this and had to convince several doctors before it was confirmed.

Are you experiencing any of the other common hypo symptoms? I didn't even feel cold or tired. I just thought I had a hard time losing weight considering I was eating and was exercising quite a bit so my dr. tested my thyroid and said I diagnosed borderline/mild hypo.

MOlly
I had gained about 25 pounds over a two year period. Before these strange symptoms started in August 2003, I had started a weight loss program and lost about 9 pounds. After the I had such horrible anxiety attacks in September and some in October I lost more weight so now I have lost about 30 pounds. As for other symptoms of hypo, I do have fatique. That is one of my cheif complaints. I have very bad morning fatique from the time I start my cycle until about the 12 th day. I know that is a symptom of estrogen dominence. It all seems so similar in symptoms until I don't know whether to press the thyroid issue with my doctor Thanks for the reply.
Penny

Old 02-10-2004, 09:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
I had gained about 25 pounds over a two year period. Before these strange symptoms started in August 2003, I had started a weight loss program and lost about 9 pounds. After the I had such horrible anxiety attacks in September and some in October I lost more weight so now I have lost about 30 pounds. As for other symptoms of hypo, I do have fatique. That is one of my cheif complaints. I have very bad morning fatique from the time I start my cycle until about the 12 th day. I know that is a symptom of estrogen dominence. It all seems so similar in symptoms until I don't know whether to press the thyroid issue with my doctor Thanks for the reply.
Penny

Penny,
You might not be hypo afterall. Maybe it's just peri-meno you are experiencing. Don't worry about the thyroid for now, especially if several drs. said you weren't. Don't stress yourself over it. I think stress makes everything worse!! And I think those of us who are going through "the change" is more vulnerable and everything intensify. How weird - it sure seems lots of us have had a rough 2003, especially starting in August! The EXTREME fatigue/headaches were my original complaint too! It was everday in Aug/Sept. Then I started having this anxiety/shakiness almost everyday in Oct/Nov/Dec. I lost weight too and haven't gained much back.

Molly

Old 02-10-2004, 10:00 AM   #8

PennyD HB User

Quote:
Penny,
You might not be hypo afterall. Maybe it's just peri-meno you are experiencing. Don't worry about the thyroid for now, especially if several drs. said you weren't. Don't stress yourself over it. I think stress makes everything worse!! And I think those of us who are going through "the change" is more vulnerable and everything intensify. How weird - it sure seems lots of us have had a rough 2003, especially starting in August! The EXTREME fatigue/headaches were my original complaint too! It was everday in Aug/Sept. Then I started having this anxiety/shakiness almost everyday in Oct/Nov/Dec. I lost weight too and haven't gained much back.

Molly
I was actually glad to lose the weight! Although I'd rather have lost it another way. I had to have a mole removed from my abdomen that my GP saw when I went in August to see what the strange symptoms I was having could be. When she said the mole had to come off NOW that is when I went over the edge with anxiety. My sister died at 40 years old of melanoma. So I had the surgery and thank God it was not malignant! I also had to have a lipoma(fatty tumor) removed in October by the same plastic surgeon. A 20 minute procedure turned into over an hour. The lipoma was very big. So all those things caued the anxiety part of this to be much much worse. Thus the need for the Klonopin I am taking. I seem to internalize everything now!
Penny

Old 02-11-2004, 02:24 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User

Penny, you are going to find out that many GP's don't know much about the thyroid, plus they are using OLD lab values for thyroid tests. According to the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE), what was normal last year, thyroid-wise, may now be abnormal.

According to the AACE, doctors have typically been basing their diagnoses on the "normal" range for the TSH test. The typical normal levels at most laboratories has fallen in the 0.5 to 5.0 range.

The new guidelines narrow the range for acceptable thyroid function, and the AACE is now encouraging doctors to consider thyroid treatment for patients who test the target TSH level of 0.3 to 3.04, a far narrower range. AACE believes the new range will result in proper diagnosis for millions of Americans who suffer from a mild thyroid disorder, but have gone untreated until now.

Ask your doctor for a copy of your thyroid test results!

Marilyn

Quote:
Penny

Old 02-11-2004, 02:37 PM   #10

PennyD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssMarilyn
Penny, you are going to find out that many GP's don't know much about the thyroid, plus they are using OLD lab values for thyroid tests. According to the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE), what was normal last year, thyroid-wise, may now be abnormal.

According to the AACE, doctors have typically been basing their diagnoses on the "normal" range for the TSH test. The typical normal levels at most laboratories has fallen in the 0.5 to 5.0 range.

The new guidelines narrow the range for acceptable thyroid function, and the AACE is now encouraging doctors to consider thyroid treatment for patients who test the target TSH level of 0.3 to 3.04, a far narrower range. AACE believes the new range will result in proper diagnosis for millions of Americans who suffer from a mild thyroid disorder, but have gone untreated until now.

Ask your doctor for a copy of your thyroid test results!

Marilyn
Marylin, In October 2003 my GP did a thyroid check and the values were:

Free T4 - 0.97
TSH 1.88
My new doc the endocrinologist did a Free T4 and something else in January of this year but I do not know the lab values. The nurse said the tyroid was fine. The doc is not really bursting with personality, so I will ask her when I go to my next appointment on the 25th. How do these lab values sound to you? Are you hypothyroid?
Thanks
Penny

Closed Thread