It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2004, 10:45 AM   #1
Inactive

Rick1254 HB User
I think I maybe going into Menopause- Panic attacks- need Advice

…I must say life is full of experiences. I went with Mrs. Rick to see her ObGyn because she wanted me to talk with him about her panic attacks. Well I thought that since they had me go back with her right away, that he would talk to us and then I could leave and then he could go on with her routine exam. Well I was mistaken and I got to witness my first gynecological exam. Well I really think I could have gone the rest of my life without being witness to this but I must say those are cute little outfits you ladies get to wear. When you get through laughing at me, please read the rest of my post and yes I am blushing.
…OK, hopefully you have recovered. We have been seeing a trend with Mrs. Rick’s panic attacks. Several times she will get one the week before her period and then another one the week after her period and that birth control pills would trigger a panic attack. I mentioned this to the Doc and he said they are completely unrelated and impossible and “don’t take the birth control pills”(duh). It had to be either PMS or unrelated. Of course he wasn’t expecting to be dealing with me. Well he brushed me off and I (ot one to be brushed off), ask him another question which went like this, “If what you say is true, then please help me to understand how all this works.” I then ask him if a woman’s estrogen(ES) levels were high the week before her period and he said yes. I then ask if the ES levels dropped during her period and he said yes, and I then asked if ES levels went back up the week after her period and again he said yes, and I then ask if birth control pills were made of ES and again he said yes. I then ask again if ES could be causing her panic attacks and this time he said yes but what he meant before was that there is nothing that can be done except for taking Benzos and SSRI’s.
…I then ask him (and by this time he had quit fluttering around the room and was standing patiently listening), Hasn’t she had ES all her life and could her problems be a result of an imbalance between her ES and progesterone levels (something else I had read about). He again said yes but the only thing that can be done is to take Benzo’s and SSRI’s. I then ask if the progesterone creams, that are over the counter would help, because I wasn’t even sure they were really progesterone because they’re made out of wild Mexican yams. Well he said they are real progesterone and that the first Birth control pills were made from the yams. I then re-ask the question as to if that would help and he evaded the question saying they were hormones and we should be careful.
…Well after our conversation, the doc did order up a blood test to check her hormone levels which is good but I wonder if it’s going to tell us anything since it’s been two weeks since her last panic attack. Another interesting tidbit that I didn’t find until after the doctors appointment was that during pregnancy, a woman’s progesterone levels get very high and after the birth they will drop back down to normal and maybe dip below normal. I remember when my wife was pregnant that she was the happiest person on earth and a few months after the birth of the twins was when she had her first panic attacks over 20 years ago. She recovered from that after about a year and hasn’t had anymore until this year, but it tends to reaffirm that a lot of her problems are hormonal. Sorry for the long story but I found it entertaining and thought you might also but here’s the real reason for the post.
…Do any of you ladies have any knowledge or experience with having your estrogen and progesterone out of balance? Have any of you used the OTC progesterone creams and did they help? Are there any dangers from the progesterone creams? Have any of you had any other kind of Hormone treatment to balance out your estrogen to progesterone ratio? Sorry for all the questions but I’m not finding any information about treatments except the natural vitamin stores trying to sell progesterone cream.
Thanks,
Rick

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2004, 11:25 AM   #2

PennyD HB User
Re: I think I maybe going into Menopause- Panic attacks- need Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1254
…I must say life is full of experiences. I went with Mrs. Rick to see her ObGyn because she wanted me to talk with him about her panic attacks. Well I thought that since they had me go back with her right away, that he would talk to us and then I could leave and then he could go on with her routine exam. Well I was mistaken and I got to witness my first gynecological exam. Well I really think I could have gone the rest of my life without being witness to this but I must say those are cute little outfits you ladies get to wear. When you get through laughing at me, please read the rest of my post and yes I am blushing.
…OK, hopefully you have recovered. We have been seeing a trend with Mrs. Rick’s panic attacks. Several times she will get one the week before her period and then another one the week after her period and that birth control pills would trigger a panic attack. I mentioned this to the Doc and he said they are completely unrelated and impossible and “don’t take the birth control pills”(duh). It had to be either PMS or unrelated. Of course he wasn’t expecting to be dealing with me. Well he brushed me off and I (ot one to be brushed off), ask him another question which went like this, “If what you say is true, then please help me to understand how all this works.” I then ask him if a woman’s estrogen(ES) levels were high the week before her period and he said yes. I then ask if the ES levels dropped during her period and he said yes, and I then asked if ES levels went back up the week after her period and again he said yes, and I then ask if birth control pills were made of ES and again he said yes. I then ask again if ES could be causing her panic attacks and this time he said yes but what he meant before was that there is nothing that can be done except for taking Benzos and SSRI’s.
…I then ask him (and by this time he had quit fluttering around the room and was standing patiently listening), Hasn’t she had ES all her life and could her problems be a result of an imbalance between her ES and progesterone levels (something else I had read about). He again said yes but the only thing that can be done is to take Benzo’s and SSRI’s. I then ask if the progesterone creams, that are over the counter would help, because I wasn’t even sure they were really progesterone because they’re made out of wild Mexican yams. Well he said they are real progesterone and that the first Birth control pills were made from the yams. I then re-ask the question as to if that would help and he evaded the question saying they were hormones and we should be careful.
…Well after our conversation, the doc did order up a blood test to check her hormone levels which is good but I wonder if it’s going to tell us anything since it’s been two weeks since her last panic attack. Another interesting tidbit that I didn’t find until after the doctors appointment was that during pregnancy, a woman’s progesterone levels get very high and after the birth they will drop back down to normal and maybe dip below normal. I remember when my wife was pregnant that she was the happiest person on earth and a few months after the birth of the twins was when she had her first panic attacks over 20 years ago. She recovered from that after about a year and hasn’t had anymore until this year, but it tends to reaffirm that a lot of her problems are hormonal. Sorry for the long story but I found it entertaining and thought you might also but here’s the real reason for the post.
…Do any of you ladies have any knowledge or experience with having your estrogen and progesterone out of balance? Have any of you used the OTC progesterone creams and did they help? Are there any dangers from the progesterone creams? Have any of you had any other kind of Hormone treatment to balance out your estrogen to progesterone ratio? Sorry for all the questions but I’m not finding any information about treatments except the natural vitamin stores trying to sell progesterone cream.
Thanks,
Rick
Rick,
Well that is quite a story! I am 43 years old and had my first panic attack in August of 2003. I went to my GP she said panic/anxiey attacks. She gave me Lexapro and I had a very bad reaction. So I had relatives who had taken Klonopin and I ask her for a prescription. I have been on 1.5 ml of Klonopin since Sept. 2003. As you know it is a benzo. It really helped me in the first stages I was a mess! I am now seeing an GYN/Endocrinologist. My other GYN did a blood test at my request and said my estrogen levels were normal and I was not menopausal. He was not very helpful in this area he sent me home with birth control pills. I had never taken them before. Took one felt worse than ever, did not take any more. I saw the new dr. (the endo) in January she did blood work to check my progesterone level, it came back 1.3. She prescribed natural progesterone cream at 150mg from day 14 until the next cycle starts. It is made by a compounding pharmacy in our area. Two weeks later more blood work , progesterone level 1. She added a natural progestrone pill of 50mg to go with the cream. The pill goes under the tongue. It is made by the same pharmacy. My first round in January I saw improvement. I have done hours of research on the internet and I have 95% of the symptoms for estrogen dominace. So therefore my estrogen to progesterone ratio is way out of balance. My cream is all natural made from the mexican wild yam. I have questioned the pharmacy 3 times just to make sure. I am sure I am in peri-menopause. How long it will last --- that's the BIG question. I am sure Mrs. Rick would benefit from the natural progesterone cream, you will just have to find the right doctor to agree with you on this type of treatment. I am praying to see great improvement from the cream in the coming months. As they say "This too shall pass"
Penny

Old 02-13-2004, 07:15 PM   #3
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

welcome mr rick and mrs rick! Wow! I wish my husband was as observent as you are! He is basically clueless in this matter, and I have to say I am pretty clueless myself. I am using otc progesteron. I am following the directions of a ovulating women. I was a confident women then all of a sudden, boom! Panic Attacks! I had my first a year ago fall(02') Prozac has helped. I will see my dr this spring. Stay on these boards and you will find out alot!

Old 02-16-2004, 07:39 AM   #4
Inactive

Rick1254 HB User

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I am very interested in both of your situations, since it appears that the Panic attacks have affected you also. I bought some the progesterone cream for my wife, but she's reluctant to use it at this time because her sypmtoms are so much different from normal peri-menopause symptoms (panic attacks instead of hotflashes). Please keep me updated with your progress and my E-mail Address is [removed]. Thanks again,
Rick

Last edited by moderator2; 02-16-2004 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Do not offer or ask for off board contact. The boards are for on-board sharing only. Please carefully read, know and follow the Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top of the board. Thank you

Old 02-16-2004, 02:07 PM   #5

PennyD HB User

[quote removed]

Rick,
I understand your wife's reluctance to try the cream. The panic attacks are so scary that you believe you have something much more serious than peri-meno. I have had blood work twice, thyroid checks twice, CT Scan of the brain because I had so much numbness and tingling. As I said I had my estrogen checked and my endo checked the progesterone. I have talked to so many people around my age early to mid forties that are having panic attacks and peri-meno symptoms. I would suggest that she see her GP and have any test done that would ease her mind about the panic attacks. Using the cream will help. I have a doctor advising me about the usage, but many women just buy it OTC and go by the directions. Sure hope she feels better soon.
Penny

Last edited by moderator2; 02-16-2004 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Do not quote or respond to a post that violate the Guidelines. Report the post without comment or reply.

Old 02-16-2004, 05:41 PM   #6

Dmhr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1254
Thanks,
Rick

Hi Rick,
I was relieved to read your post, because I'm 49 and have also started having panic attacks. I was on the birth control pill for about 4 months. The name of it was kariva. I understand that it doesn't contain estrogen. My doctor told me that the only estrogen is in the last week, and I was having headaches, so they said not to even take the 4th week of pills. Anyway, I decided to stop taking the pills at Christmas time, and 1 week after my period had started I had the first panic or anxiety or what ever it was. It lasted about 2 nights and 3 days. Then I had it again about the time I was ovulating. In January I had them at the very same times, so I think it must be due to hormones. I'm thinking about going back on the pills just to see whether that would maybe stop me from having the attacks, because I'd rather be on the pills for the rest of my life than to have to have the panic attacks. Anyway, thanks for the letter, because it makes a person feel better to see someone else has the same thing. Donna

Closed Thread