It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2004, 11:42 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User
Menopause starting at 47?

I am 47 years old and my last period was 10 days late and very light. Now this month I am already 12 days past due. I am on a natural hormone cream that I have been taking for a couple of years to help with PMS and breast tenderness. It has worked great. I start the cream on the 12th day of my cycle and stop the 26th day. Then my period is supposed to start 2 days later, only this time it hasn't! Also, usually when I am late, I have some symptoms: my breast swell a little, a little weight gain, bloating. But this time nothing! Does this mean I am going into my menopausal cycle? I hope its not a symptom of something else. Last year, I had a benign polyp removed, but that made my periods longer. Has anyone else started menopause this early and this abruptly? Thanks for any comments.
Cindy

Old 03-08-2004, 02:00 PM   #2
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User
Re: Menopause starting at 47?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howitt44
I am 47 years old and my last period was 10 days late and very light. Now this month I am already 12 days past due. I am on a natural hormone cream that I have been taking for a couple of years to help with PMS and breast tenderness. It has worked great. I start the cream on the 12th day of my cycle and stop the 26th day. Then my period is supposed to start 2 days later, only this time it hasn't! Also, usually when I am late, I have some symptoms: my breast swell a little, a little weight gain, bloating. But this time nothing! Does this mean I am going into my menopausal cycle? I hope its not a symptom of something else. Last year, I had a benign polyp removed, but that made my periods longer. Has anyone else started menopause this early and this abruptly? Thanks for any comments.
Cindy
Babe, you're in perimenopause...the lead up to menopause (which is defined as the complete cessation of menses). To a certain extent, you're programmed genetically as to when menopause will occur. Talk with your mom (if possible) when did she go into menopause? When did HER mom?
Get a FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) blood test done @ your doctor's office. That will tell for sure where you are in this thing.

My mom went through "the change" @ 50
VOILA!
So did I.
Perimenopause for me, however, started @ age 40 (poor sleep, hair loss, irregular periods after years of clockwork consistency, brain fog, etc.)

Doncha just hate that today you are older than you were yesterday? Phooey! I want Do Overs!!

best wishes,

charli
203/146/146

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2004, 12:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by csoar2004
Babe, you're in perimenopause...the lead up to menopause (which is defined as the complete cessation of menses). To a certain extent, you're programmed genetically as to when menopause will occur. Talk with your mom (if possible) when did she go into menopause? When did HER mom?
Get a FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) blood test done @ your doctor's office. That will tell for sure where you are in this thing.

My mom went through "the change" @ 50
VOILA!
So did I.
Perimenopause for me, however, started @ age 40 (poor sleep, hair loss, irregular periods after years of clockwork consistency, brain fog, etc.)

Doncha just hate that today you are older than you were yesterday? Phooey! I want Do Overs!!

best wishes,

charli
203/146/146
Thanks for your reply. I started my period very early - 11 1/2 yrs. old - so I am ready to be done with it. My mother is deceased now, but I think she started around 13 years old. If I remember right she was around 50-52 when she entered menopause. But I have had weird moods, depression, aches and pains, some night sweats, for about 8 years now off and on. Only recently did my periods start being irregular. I guess I'm lucky I had regular periods for as long as I did! Thanks.

Old 03-16-2004, 12:20 AM   #4

NLee HB User

Definately pre menopause.
Iam 47 as well and have started missing periods.
I have alot of stress and anxiety problems too, and blame some of this on that, but I know Iam starting menopause. I have been getting that hot feeling in the face and my face turns red and I feel weird.

Old 03-16-2004, 06:34 AM   #5
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Ladies, I highly recommend peri-zappers (from Ann Louise Gittleman's book: Before the Change) for your symptoms. They helped me tremendously and now that I'm fully menopausal, I'm having the time of my life Dr. Phil's wife, Robin, also swears by them (relief from perimenopause was on a Dr. Phil show last fall and there's more info @ his site).
Y'know how they say "old age" is a second childhood for many? Too true for me. My inner brat's on the loose heh heh.

best wishes,

charli
203/146/146
age of inner brat: 15 Look out, world

Old 03-17-2004, 06:01 AM   #6
Inactive

suzitwo HB User

I'm waiting on blood results to determine if I'm also perimenopausal, I'm 37 so you're not alone at going through this young.

My mother and sister were both done and dusted at 40 so I expect I will be the same. I get all the same symptoms as every other woman going through it but everytime I try to tell someone they just say "you can't be you're too young" very fustrating but it can happen at any age, mine is genetic.

Old 03-18-2004, 10:04 PM   #7

kootie HB User

Is it harder on you when you go thru it older ? I have alot of freinds alot younger then me and some have already started or went thru it early and they seem'd to be fine.......nothing like me !!! I have went thru some pretty tramatic stages and hormone theropy sucked so I gave that up. When on the pills I had PMS 28 days a month and it was backwards !!!!!!!! Cramps and bloating and all the mood swings that go with it (phemphase or wahtever it was called). I went thru a severe anxiety stage and tryin to get thru that one now.....am goin thru this nausea stage I never knew existed with this. I can be with freinds or somewhere and begin to feel downrite LOUSEY for no reason and can not shake it. The hot flashes seem to come and go in spells.I will get so hot I feel like I will faint and then get so cold I shake. Most of the time I don't know why I feel like I do and people have noticed I am not the same. Age crisis doesn't help I suppose even tho I work out and watch my weight and diet I am upset with my age !!! Is that a faze too ? Thanks, Pam

Closed Thread