It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2004, 12:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User
Is your PMS way worse at this time, and other questions!!

HI I am back with more questions and appreciate any input any of you hav and thanks ahead of time.

I posted not too long ago but wanted to ask some additional questions...firstly :

Do you find that your PMS symtpoms are way worse now in this wonderful perimenopause stage!!!???

I am 49 years and am so beside myself with the way I feel on and off during the month. It seems that at mid cycle (which I really can not be sure when in the world that is at times as my periods can come now at day 23 (earliest was 18) instead of the usual every 28-30 days), I start with diarhhea at times and bloating of course. Then when it is right before (like now...due in 4 days if it is going to come on time that is!!) , I get very very bad cramps. I even broke out in a cold sweat last night with it as I think I was so upset. Being upset seems to be the norm lately in that I am more emotional of course.

I do have back problems, which I mentioned in a post I wrote here awhile ago , and I have some arthritis in my lower back and my hip and my back can get very stiff at times due to that (I have gone to the doctor's for it and am seeing a chiropractor for it).I did have my annual gyn appt before Christmas and she told me that if my pelvis is out of alignment due to my back issue (which it is at times) that it can all cause more problems period times. But I have a hard time coping with it.

I just put a call into my gyn and she just ironically called while I was writing this!!... said she is prescribing something (don't know the name but if it helps I will let you know) for the cramps which also might help the arthritis. She said she knew what I meant about the full or achy feeling on the right and it is all part of this perimenopause thing and complicated more if one's back is like mine is as there is referred achiness or referred pain.

She did suggest if the pain meds did not help the cramps that I might consider a birth control pill. I am not too keen on that idea as it is a hormone therapy of course but she said they are way different than what they were when I took them in the late 70s (for 2 years). So another question I have is :

Do any of you take birth control pills to help with peri symtpoms?

She asked me what can I live with and what can't I as far as the symptoms. I said I could live with the shorter cycles as the flow does not last long. What I can't seem to cope with well is the cramping and other discomfort issues associated with that.

Again the gyn dr said that my back will affect the stomach muscles which in turn can be compromised during and before my period. It is all so frustrating and basically I also would like to know :

YIKES!! How do you all COPE with it all as lately I am not doing too well in that dept!

thanks for listening to this long and rambling post and for any input you have at all!!

rmc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2004, 01:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

windymoon HB User
Re: Is your PMS way worse at this time, and other questions!!

I can relate to a lot you have said. My periods are also closer together every 24 days now instead of 28. PMS can be horrible, but the last two months no PMS per-say but the week after my period HELLO! My period stop yesterday and today I watch a movie I have seen a millon times and cried all the way though it. Never did before! I was never one to cry. I'm 47 and know I started peri-menopause when I was 42, so I hope it will all end soon. I told my Doctor I don't feel normal, like my period are closer together, heavy and I have lost weight when I read most women are gaining. I also have a thyroid problem so it may be playing with my weight. I feel pretty good except for the fatique. I also have cramps (never had before) and mid-cycle nightsweats. My doctor said that's why you read everyone goes though different. I'm have pretty much had it! Oh and the worse part for my husband at least>> my sex drive is DEAD! This is after having a wonderful sex life for years, right now I don't care. I heard Sue on the sex show "Talk Sex with Sue" that it's normal and will return after menapause. We will see! ~C >>>stands for crybaby now!

Last edited by windymoon; 03-18-2004 at 02:01 PM.

Old 03-18-2004, 06:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

My PMS symptoms are worse also. I never used to have cramps and now I do. They can wake me up in the middle of the night. I am on Advil for several days.

I have been trying to exercise 4 to 5 days a week and my cramps have seemed to decrease in severity. I do not know if the exercise has helped them. I do not need to take Advil as often.

My period has changed from once a month to two times a month. This has been a real bummer.

I cry easily too. It can be embarrassing when the slightest sad movie or event shown on TV has you blubbering. My family just rolls their eyes.

Old 03-19-2004, 11:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Windymoon and Belle,

Thank you so much for responding. I was beginning to think I was alone with more PMS symtpoms. I can so relate to being more emotional. My period came yesterday at 24 days and I was that way it seems most of late Feb to now.

I also can relate to having symptoms beyond when we get our periods as I got it yesterday and the cramp medication she gave me (Ponstel...is anyone taking that by the way), did help but I do still have some vague feelings today. I would like to have one day this month with not being aware of my abdominal area!! It is now just twinges and I have been told that my Irritable Bowel and the back problem wreak havoc on the muscles around the intestines and so it is all not a great recipe for comfort especially when I get my period.

The exercise is a good idea. I think when I did that more it did help. I have my gym bag in the car and hopefully will push myself to go and hopefully it will make a difference. I know I have had this before and survived but sometimes when one is in the midst of it we forget that we got thru it and it was not anything serious.

Are any of you taking specific vitamins or supplements during this time? I was told to take more B vitamins for moods and also Estroven PMS for the pms symptoms which is a herbal supplement to take just during that time. Have not taken either that long to notice a difference yet.

Thanks again for the responses and it IS helpful to know others understand and can relate.

rmc

Old 03-23-2004, 08:43 AM   #5

cocohoney HB User

Hello:

I feel your pain when you speak about cramps, headached, backaches, bloating, etc, etc, etc...
However, I'm 43 (44 in May) and I have every symptom of perimenopause even yelling at my husband and feeling terrible on the inside. I went to see my dr. and she put me on antidepressants. I was on Paxil first and then Lexapro and now I'm on Effexor. I tell you what, I have never felt as great as I do now. I've been taking antidepressants since November 2003 and each and every month, my periods are like smooth-as-silk!! No confusion thoughts, no bloating, no cramping, no NOTHING!! It's as if all the negative feelings one gets from being on their period DISAPPEARED!! My husband told me NEVER STOP TAKING MY MEDS!! I agree with him because I feel like A MILLION BUCKS!! Good luck to you all!!

Old 05-05-2004, 01:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Hello:

I'm with all of you. I'm 45 and I post here quite often these days. I have perimenopause, use to have PMS, not I get my symptoms 2-3weeks out of the month! It's a nightmare. Maybe I should ask my doctor for anti-depressants. I'm trembly, crampy, irritable, IBS and headaches. So, I've probably gone through every symptom in the peri book! Just want it to go away and feel great again. I will think about these anti-depressants. I just hate meds, taking all of my vitamins, but here I am. What is a good anti-depressant, Paxil CR or Effexor. I don't like these Xanax much. I already have a queezy stomach. Do the anti-depressants make you tired? Do they make you dream alot? Do they take away the edge and the once in a while bad dreams? Please let me know.

Thanks

Andrea

Old 05-05-2004, 04:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

I think that it is great that some people have been helped by antidepressants. But I personally would try all of the perimenopause zappers first before having to be on medication for years. I got the book (as recommended by many ladies on health boards) called "Before the Change" and followed her instructions. I take a good multivitamin (from Costco), I take an extra 50 mg of B-6, 250 mg of Magnesium, 400 iu of vitamin E, 1000 mg of Fish Oil soft gel and I sprinkle two tablespoons of Flaxseed on my cereal. I have eliminated all caffeine. I exercise on average 4 to 5 times a week. I have definitely noticed a positive change and so has my family.

I had always been exercising, and taking vitamins and limiting my caffeine intake. What I think made the difference was the B-6, magnesium, Fish Oil and Flaxseed. Before I was taking these, I was usually irritable and quick to overreact to things. I had bloating, major cramps, cried easily, decreased energy. It was the abdominal pain and bloating that was the worst. For my family it was my crabbiness.

I would definitely give these a try. I have only been on these one month and when I got my period it came as a surprise because I did not have the initial cramping and bloating. I did have half of day of mild cramping unlike three to four days of taking advil continuously. But not having the bloating and lower abdominal discomfort all week was great. I did have heavy bleeding, which makes me want to try out the natural progesterone cream.

I know it is easier to have some one prescribe you one pill to take every day, but I am one of those people who avoids prescription medications if I can. Try reading the book and see if some of these things help you out first.
There are other vitamins and herbs that help too, but I was just trying the first ones listed in the book.

Old 05-05-2004, 06:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2003
I think that it is great that some people have been helped by antidepressants. But I personally would try all of the perimenopause zappers first before having to be on medication for years. I got the book (as recommended by many ladies on health boards) called "Before the Change" and followed her instructions. I take a good multivitamin (from Costco), I take an extra 50 mg of B-6, 250 mg of Magnesium, 400 iu of vitamin E, 1000 mg of Fish Oil soft gel and I sprinkle two tablespoons of Flaxseed on my cereal. I have eliminated all caffeine. I exercise on average 4 to 5 times a week. I have definitely noticed a positive change and so has my family.

I had always been exercising, and taking vitamins and limiting my caffeine intake. What I think made the difference was the B-6, magnesium, Fish Oil and Flaxseed. Before I was taking these, I was usually irritable and quick to overreact to things. I had bloating, major cramps, cried easily, decreased energy. It was the abdominal pain and bloating that was the worst. For my family it was my crabbiness.

I would definitely give these a try. I have only been on these one month and when I got my period it came as a surprise because I did not have the initial cramping and bloating. I did have half of day of mild cramping unlike three to four days of taking advil continuously. But not having the bloating and lower abdominal discomfort all week was great. I did have heavy bleeding, which makes me want to try out the natural progesterone cream.

I know it is easier to have some one prescribe you one pill to take every day, but I am one of those people who avoids prescription medications if I can. Try reading the book and see if some of these things help you out first.
There are other vitamins and herbs that help too, but I was just trying the first ones listed in the book.

I'm working on it. I'm taking the magnesium, the multi, the progesterone creme, just don't think I should do flaxseed or anything that contains estrogen if my estrogen is normal? But yet, my doc wants to give me a low dose of estrogen. So I can't figure it all out.

Old 05-05-2004, 10:52 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Belle,
I just saw your message and I have to say it was one of the clearest explanation about what you are taking with the perizapper regime that I have read. I am reluctant too about the antidepressants but do take an antianxiety pill, Xanax as needed. If the antidepressants work for people I think that is great and I would not be adverse to it if the natural things did not work. I am taking the multivitamin which I ironically too got at Costco and am taking Vitamin B and E. I have not tried the Magnesium , Fish oil or Flaxseed. I am doing more exercise than I have been able to thees last couple months.

It is impressive you have been on this for a month and have seen a difference so i found the post interesting and helpful. The book is something we keep hearing about and I had looked at it in the bookstore and at first glance it looked like it was discussing just hot flashes and more typical symptoms but it sounds like it addresses a lot of others too.

Thanks for the input and the update on how you have been doing, which gives me hope!!

rmc

Closed Thread