It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2004, 05:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Muscle weakness and flab

Okay, I've noticed through hot flushing that my muscles have gotten more quivery or weaker. Not that I can't walk, they're just ultra sensitive. Also, I've been more sensitive to hot and cold, although now I'm more hot than cold. Anyone else feel this? Also, I haven't exercised for two months and I flabby as hell! I mean I've lost elasticity, thank God for the natural progesterone creme that brought a bit of fullness back to the breasts! It's not easy exercising with hot flushes and sensitivity of the muscles. I took the echo heart stress and passed it , went all the way and my muscles did it, so what the heck is wrong with me now? Anyone else feel shrively, come chat with me.

Old 04-20-2004, 12:27 AM   #2
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User
Re: Muscle weakness and flab

I went through menopause in my mid40s but did not have hot flashes. Felt some 'flushing" but never had the sweats or many of the other symptoms. However, since going through it my skin has lost some of it's elasticity and gotten thinner. I do find myself more sensitive to cold as I age (52).

I started resistance lifting over a year ago to help lose bodyfat and inches. Lost 60 inches doing this. I found out lifting moderately heavy weights does help your body keep producing it's own natural HGH which lessens as you age. It also keeps your bone density up and staves off osteoporosis.

There was a 72 year old woman in one of my classes who was doing this just for that reason and to keep limber. That and it did help keep her arthritis from feeling worse. Another in her 60s had bad shoulders and was only able to left light weights as therapy. Some were lifting as therapy to lose bodyfat after having gastric by pass operations months before. They all told me if I could lose the fat with lifting and eating a proper diet 5-6 times a day..that was the best way. This I have been able to do.

So, despite the sensitivity and hot flashes.....keeping up the exercises is the right way to go, especially now that you are going through menopause.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2004, 07:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Laurie. I'm doing QiGong right now to balance and then I'll get back on the treadmill, etc.

Thanks again.

Old 04-21-2004, 09:15 PM   #4
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

I just read over this.....I did not lose "60 inches" that should read "60 pounds!"

LOL!

But good for you. I understand that the QiGong will do that.

Old 04-22-2004, 09:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie2
I just read over this.....I did not lose "60 inches" that should read "60 pounds!"

LOL!

But good for you. I understand that the QiGong will do that.
Actually, I didn't lose weight with QiGong. Just trying to help move energy through the meridians. I actually lost weight just getting worse in perimenopause and of course, I cut out all of the sugars. I think that's enough to help one lose weight, right?

Old 04-23-2004, 03:32 AM   #6
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

I understood what you meant by using QiGong to help you through this stage.

Cutting out sugar will help cut the any excess fat stored from it. The problem I find with too much sugar now, is sure it will give you an energy boost. But only for the short term. Then your glucose levels plummet and you feel draggy.

Old 04-23-2004, 06:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie2
I understood what you meant by using QiGong to help you through this stage.

Cutting out sugar will help cut the any excess fat stored from it. The problem I find with too much sugar now, is sure it will give you an energy boost. But only for the short term. Then your glucose levels plummet and you feel draggy.

Well since my surges, I have stopped all sugars. I know about the sugar high and then the low. Before these surges, I would eat tons of chocolate cake (a hint I needed magnesium). Well, don't really miss it anymore. Now if I could just deal with those morning surges of being over energised, feeling like I'm waking up angry or just clenching my teeth, feel cramps or a hot flush and then a little sweaty and then I'm up! LOL I hate it.

Closed Thread