It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2004, 06:22 PM   #1
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 141
girlgato HB Usergirlgato HB User
So sick of feeling SICK....

Went to GP and had blood work done to check hormones, and nurse in the office told me everything came back normal!! Then sent these blood results to my naturopathic dr. and she said they are definietly NOT normal!! I'm supposedly way over the normal level for estrogen and deficient in progesterone. Is this why I'm feeling SO HORRIBLE?

Do any of you have these symptoms (my dr. is saying its depression ):

- feeling all shaky inside and outside (whole body shakes)
- very tired all the time
- feel like crying at almost any time of the day
- breast tenderness that doesn't go away
- headaches at back of my head (and I usually never have headaches)
- feeling shivery and cold, even when it's warm
- always feel sort of edgy and can't seem to handle stress
- fuzzy thinking - can't seem to remember anything anymore!!
- periods are now only 3 days long and coming every 21 days

Oh, how I want to feel like my old self again. Am SO FRUSTRATED AND UPSET THAT I CAN'T SEEM TO GET BETTER. I eat well, exercise, take vitamins, don't consume caffenated products (I get really jittery then).

My GP put me on a tricyclic a/d 10mg. but that did nothing for me except make me constipated (now don't laugh). I've tried many, many different a/d in the past years but am so drug sensitive had a hard time trying to find one that agrees with me. Was on Serzone about 5 yrs. ago, but no longer available here in Canada. Oh, and by the way I'm 45 yrs. old.

This is such an awful time in my life - simply cannot function in the way I used to. My darling hubby is so tolerant that I'm blessed to have his support.

PS. My naturopath has suggested a 3% progesterone cream for me to start on day 12....but that is still 5 days away! Feel like I'm going out of my mind!

Anyone else suffering like this????

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 04-24-2004, 06:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,124
ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: So sick of feeling SICK....

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlgato
Went to GP and had blood work done to check hormones, and nurse in the office told me everything came back normal!! Then sent these blood results to my naturopathic dr. and she said they are definietly NOT normal!! I'm supposedly way over the normal level for estrogen and deficient in progesterone. Is this why I'm feeling SO HORRIBLE?

Do any of you have these symptoms (my dr. is saying its depression ):

- feeling all shaky inside and outside (whole body shakes)
- very tired all the time
- feel like crying at almost any time of the day
- breast tenderness that doesn't go away
- headaches at back of my head (and I usually never have headaches)
- feeling shivery and cold, even when it's warm
- always feel sort of edgy and can't seem to handle stress
- fuzzy thinking - can't seem to remember anything anymore!!
- periods are now only 3 days long and coming every 21 days

Oh, how I want to feel like my old self again. Am SO FRUSTRATED AND UPSET THAT I CAN'T SEEM TO GET BETTER. I eat well, exercise, take vitamins, don't consume caffenated products (I get really jittery then).

My GP put me on a tricyclic a/d 10mg. but that did nothing for me except make me constipated (now don't laugh). I've tried many, many different a/d in the past years but am so drug sensitive had a hard time trying to find one that agrees with me. Was on Serzone about 5 yrs. ago, but no longer available here in Canada. Oh, and by the way I'm 45 yrs. old.

This is such an awful time in my life - simply cannot function in the way I used to. My darling hubby is so tolerant that I'm blessed to have his support.

PS. My naturopath has suggested a 3% progesterone cream for me to start on day 12....but that is still 5 days away! Feel like I'm going out of my mind!

Anyone else suffering like this????
Hi. I'm going through the same things sweetie. I tremble both inside and outside too. I got back on the natural progesterone creme 3 weeks ago. It takes time, but you should begin to feel some relief after a few days. Take 250 mg. of magnesium a day. I take my in the morning and at night. Also, if you can tolerate it right now, take a multi. I use the progesterone creme both morning at night. I'm also 45. I'm glad your hubby tolerates, my boyfriend is out of sorts with this. You are estrogen dominance. Read up on it. How much is your ND asking you to start with as far as the progesterone. (I'm typing and some of my fingers are quivering, LOL) IT's really not funny cause it's a real pain. I use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon. At 45, I'm not really producing much progesterone and it's always been a luteal phase problem for me, 6 miscarriages later. I do have a daughter, finally, she's 8 and I used progesterone to carry her and also an herbal tea perscribed by a doctor. I'm mental fog too and sometimes can't concentrate very well. I may be losing my estrogen, I have no clue. Getting doctors to do something for other than putting you on anti-anxiety or depression drugs is a project alone, not too mention we are already stressed out trying to feel normal again. There are symptoms of perimenopause posted on the board that will help you understand some of the things that are going on with you. But even when you read them, there is a part of you that needs(of course) to be totally checked out by your doctor(s). Have your thyroid checked to rule that out too. Perimenopause with anxiety is a humdinger! Hormonal inbalances cause this. My stomach is still rumbling and hurting at times and I'm on aciphex everyday to get rid of the burning, the burning is gone but my stomach still rumbles. The progesterone creme does help cut back some of the body hot flushes/hot flashes and will also help with the cold flashes. The magnesium will help with the cold flashes too. I'm on the board if you ever want to chat again.

 
Old 04-25-2004, 06:36 PM   #3
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 141
girlgato HB Usergirlgato HB User
Re: So sick of feeling SICK....

Ainfante:

Thank you for your words of understanding. I would never have thought that this time in my life would be so difficult!!!

I don't have children, so I'm not sure if that affects perimenopause symptoms at all.....will have to ask about it.

Feeling a bit better today, but that seems how it goes, one day good, and who knows how many that will be just terrible.

Got an email back from my ND and she wants me to also use progesterone cream 2X/day when I start it. Never used it before so am not sure what to expect. She gave me a little scoop along with the 3% cream. Also told me that I'm also in the luteal phase when my blood work was done.

Is there anywhere that states what the hormone level ranges are? Cannot seem to find them.

Glad that you are getting some relief from your symptoms. Don't you find that it's such a day to day thing?

 
Old 04-26-2004, 09:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,124
ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: So sick of feeling SICK....

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlgato
Ainfante:

Thank you for your words of understanding. I would never have thought that this time in my life would be so difficult!!!

I don't have children, so I'm not sure if that affects perimenopause symptoms at all.....will have to ask about it.

Feeling a bit better today, but that seems how it goes, one day good, and who knows how many that will be just terrible.

Got an email back from my ND and she wants me to also use progesterone cream 2X/day when I start it. Never used it before so am not sure what to expect. She gave me a little scoop along with the 3% cream. Also told me that I'm also in the luteal phase when my blood work was done.

Is there anywhere that states what the hormone level ranges are? Cannot seem to find them.

Glad that you are getting some relief from your symptoms. Don't you find that it's such a day to day thing?

Isn't it just lovely being a woman? Thanks Eve, we appreciate everything you have done for us. Having children or not, doesn't really mean anything. I think if one had PMS, such as I, makes Perimenopause a bit much harder to handle, but you will handle it and won't die from it. That's my belief and that's what I read about it. Also, if you have anxiety with it, like me...you surely won't die from it. It's a roller coaster. That's what it is. So I guess we have to grin and bear it and have each other to vent with or we put our hands up in the air like a roller coaster ride and roll, LOL

 
Old 04-26-2004, 09:15 AM   #5
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 594
csoar2004 HB User
Re: So sick of feeling SICK....

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlgato
Went to GP and had blood work done to check hormones, and nurse in the office told me everything came back normal!! Then sent these blood results to my naturopathic dr. and she said they are definietly NOT normal!! I'm supposedly way over the normal level for estrogen and deficient in progesterone. Is this why I'm feeling SO HORRIBLE?

Do any of you have these symptoms (my dr. is saying its depression ):

- feeling all shaky inside and outside (whole body shakes)
- very tired all the time
- feel like crying at almost any time of the day
- breast tenderness that doesn't go away
- headaches at back of my head (and I usually never have headaches)
- feeling shivery and cold, even when it's warm
- always feel sort of edgy and can't seem to handle stress
- fuzzy thinking - can't seem to remember anything anymore!!
- periods are now only 3 days long and coming every 21 days

Oh, how I want to feel like my old self again. Am SO FRUSTRATED AND UPSET THAT I CAN'T SEEM TO GET BETTER. I eat well, exercise, take vitamins, don't consume caffenated products (I get really jittery then).

My GP put me on a tricyclic a/d 10mg. but that did nothing for me except make me constipated (now don't laugh). I've tried many, many different a/d in the past years but am so drug sensitive had a hard time trying to find one that agrees with me. Was on Serzone about 5 yrs. ago, but no longer available here in Canada. Oh, and by the way I'm 45 yrs. old.

This is such an awful time in my life - simply cannot function in the way I used to. My darling hubby is so tolerant that I'm blessed to have his support.

PS. My naturopath has suggested a 3% progesterone cream for me to start on day 12....but that is still 5 days away! Feel like I'm going out of my mind!

Anyone else suffering like this????
I strongly recommend peri-zappers (from Ann Louise Gittleman's book, Before the Change) you can also read about 'em at Dr. Phil's website (his wife, Robin, swears by peri-zappers). You might also want to read What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Pre-Menopause, by Dr. John Lee.
This should NOT be an awful time in your life and you SHOULD have your life the way you want it. Personally, I think if guys hadta go through this, you can bet your life it'd be researched and understood a whole lot better than it is. As little as 30 years ago, women were still being told it was all in their heads (and here, take some valium). Puhleeze!

best wishes,
charli
50, menopausal and perky. Veddy veddy perky
203/146/146 on the Fat Flush Plan for life

Last edited by csoar2004; 04-26-2004 at 09:16 AM.

 
Old 04-26-2004, 09:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,124
ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: So sick of feeling SICK....

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlgato
Ainfante:

Thank you for your words of understanding. I would never have thought that this time in my life would be so difficult!!!

I don't have children, so I'm not sure if that affects perimenopause symptoms at all.....will have to ask about it.

Feeling a bit better today, but that seems how it goes, one day good, and who knows how many that will be just terrible.

Got an email back from my ND and she wants me to also use progesterone cream 2X/day when I start it. Never used it before so am not sure what to expect. She gave me a little scoop along with the 3% cream. Also told me that I'm also in the luteal phase when my blood work was done.

Is there anywhere that states what the hormone level ranges are? Cannot seem to find them.

Glad that you are getting some relief from your symptoms. Don't you find that it's such a day to day thing?
I use the progesterone creme (Natragest) 2X a day. 1/4 ot 1/2 tspn. 2 X a day. It will help on alot, trust me. I wish I could still use it being on my menstrual, but I will wait until day 6 or 7, a gyne told me that. It seems to be when I go off balance before ovulation and I also seem to be ovulating, when I do, earlier than before. If it stops the ovulation, great! If it doesn't, oh well, hopefully there will be enough progesterone to help make that balance. I love the progesterone creme. I have had a luteal progesterone failure for years. So imagine at 45, do you think I have enough progesterone. Very well doubt it. Keep in touch, let me know how things are going with you. As far as the quivery, shakes, my hands still shake, even during the day. It's anxiety and the hormonal Yikes!

 
Old 04-26-2004, 11:35 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: US
Posts: 406
cloverberry HB User
Re: So sick of feeling SICK....

you really sound like you're going through perimenopause. I had a lot of the same symptoms but I got over most of them. The being tired all the time was the worse. I couldn't sleep much. I would wake up in the middle of the night for 3 or 4 hours. I love when doctors try to tell you it's something else like depression because they know there's not much they can give you to help your symptoms. If he really thinks it's depression did he recommend you seeing a therapist? Try taking an antidepressant to help you sleep. I take Trazodone. I think it's pretty safe because I never had a problem getting a prescription from any doctor.

 
Old 04-26-2004, 11:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,124
ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: So sick of feeling SICK....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverberry
you really sound like you're going through perimenopause. I had a lot of the same symptoms but I got over most of them. The being tired all the time was the worse. I couldn't sleep much. I would wake up in the middle of the night for 3 or 4 hours. I love when doctors try to tell you it's something else like depression because they know there's not much they can give you to help your symptoms. If he really thinks it's depression did he recommend you seeing a therapist? Try taking an antidepressant to help you sleep. I take Trazodone. I think it's pretty safe because I never had a problem getting a prescription from any doctor.

Boy I hate this. I'm on day 2 of my period which is basically one blotch of dried up dark blood. I'm almost ready to just do the progesterone creme but I hate to over do it. I can almost feel a hot flush coming on, know the signs and symptoms now. The progesterone creme really helps with that and the sleep. I slept last night, but woke up around 2:00 and did a little progest creme since that was still my first day. I'm so peri I could scream!

 
Old 04-27-2004, 09:44 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 862
rmc12 HB User
Re: So sick of feeling SICK....

Hi,

I can relate too!! I turned 50 2 weeks ago and have been having peri. symptoms I think probably since my mid 40s but the last couple years have been the worse and this year is a doozy!!

It is like I have a MUCH MUCH more prolonged PMS some months. For me I have the fatique you mentioned, some night sweats now and then and gastro-intestinal symptoms that people have mentioned on here : more gassy, rumbling noises (all around midcycle for me up to my period at times), just in general stomach is more sensitive and I already have a tendency towards that and it seems to be exaggerated now. The gyn told me that it is normal and if one had bad cramps that they are likely to be worse or if your bowel tended to be irritated now and then it will be more so in this stage.

She did suggest low dose birth control pills : Yasmin, which I may post a question about to see if anyone is taking them. I don't know if I will do that or not. I have tried some natural supplements but for me it does not seem to have helped much. So we will see.

Anyway, hope it helps to know that you are not alone and others are going thru the same things. I know it does help me.

rmc

 
Old 04-27-2004, 03:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,124
ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: So sick of feeling SICK....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc12
Hi,

I can relate too!! I turned 50 2 weeks ago and have been having peri. symptoms I think probably since my mid 40s but the last couple years have been the worse and this year is a doozy!!

It is like I have a MUCH MUCH more prolonged PMS some months. For me I have the fatique you mentioned, some night sweats now and then and gastro-intestinal symptoms that people have mentioned on here : more gassy, rumbling noises (all around midcycle for me up to my period at times), just in general stomach is more sensitive and I already have a tendency towards that and it seems to be exaggerated now. The gyn told me that it is normal and if one had bad cramps that they are likely to be worse or if your bowel tended to be irritated now and then it will be more so in this stage.

She did suggest low dose birth control pills : Yasmin, which I may post a question about to see if anyone is taking them. I don't know if I will do that or not. I have tried some natural supplements but for me it does not seem to have helped much. So we will see.

Anyway, hope it helps to know that you are not alone and others are going thru the same things. I know it does help me.

rmc
I'm having a Perimenopause period where I'm really crabby and moody and still trembling!

 
Old 04-30-2004, 07:09 PM   #11
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 141
girlgato HB Usergirlgato HB User
Re: So sick of feeling SICK....

Well girls, physician say it's NOT perimenopause symptoms that I'm going through but just anxiety. When I asked about these awful feelings like flushing, short periods, edginess and the high estrogen levels he just said "you're lucky that your estrogen is high" and I don't know what else to do for you So, there you go, no answers again!!! Wants me to see a psych. dr. now to help with the anxiety.

Am really feeling AWFUL and EXHAUSTED and darned FRUSTRATED with all of this. Oh no, here come the tears again......

 
Old 04-30-2004, 07:37 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,124
ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: So sick of feeling SICK....

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlgato
Well girls, physician say it's NOT perimenopause symptoms that I'm going through but just anxiety. When I asked about these awful feelings like flushing, short periods, edginess and the high estrogen levels he just said "you're lucky that your estrogen is high" and I don't know what else to do for you So, there you go, no answers again!!! Wants me to see a psych. dr. now to help with the anxiety.

Am really feeling AWFUL and EXHAUSTED and darned FRUSTRATED with all of this. Oh no, here come the tears again......
I'm seeing a therapist who is helping me with anxiety, but she says too it does come with perimenopause. So did my gyne. We may have had some anxiety in the past, like during PMS, etc. and it worsens during perimenopause. Don't listen always to your doctor, cause some don't even understand what perimenopause is. They think that you have to be post menopause, when the bleeding stops for a year, well, those aren't as bad as perimenopause. I think perimenopause strikes women differently. Some of us go through this at an early stage, like a friend of mine who started at age 46, was really flippy, had anxiety attacks galore and now she's 51, her periods are getting further apart and she has hot flashes again, but she seems to be handling it alot differently. I think perimenopause helped her accept this new part of going into postmenopause. I hate to sound prejudice against male gyne's, but that's why I was glad my female gyne who've I've been seeing the past two years is in my insurance network finally. Even my female endo understands that I'm going through perimenopause with some anxiety and she says it's real rough sometimes. Today, I saw my gyne and the first thing that came out of her mouth during my exam was "you're perimenopause and you're estrogen is beginning to decline." She hadn't taken any blood tests yet, or have we gotten results back, but you really can't depend on that, she goes by the symptoms. Trust me, it's the perimenopause with anxiety. Very very common in alot of women.

 
Old 05-01-2004, 05:05 PM   #13
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 475
abbygirl2 HB User
Re: So sick of feeling SICK....

I haven't read all the posts in this thread yet, but I will. I just wanted to say that my Dr told me yesterday that she thinks I have low progesterone as well. The past 6 months for me have been horrible. I have hot flashes/cold spells, literally shaking, I feel weak, disorientated, nervous, faintish, and wierd sensations in my circulation, I don't know if that makes sense, I just get these terribly weird feelings. I feel nervous all day and have a hard time sleeping.
I am going to try magnesium, and I just purchased the Perimenopause book witht he peri-zappers(can't remember the name as I am in a major brain fog right now.
We have tested me for everything imagineable(normal) and yesterday I finally took a hormone test. My periods are so irregular that I don't know what this test will reveal. I am currently on 1.25mg of Medroxy, she said I could buy the progesterone cream but it was unavailable in Canada-so I opted for the pills. Is this dose likely to make a difference? She said if I still felt the same after three days I could up it to 2.5mg. I am desperate for help, I have felt so horrible for so long now. Of course we first startedoff with different antidepresants, which didn't work.
I am only 29 and have 2 kids, I don't know if that will make a difference.

Any idea how long the Medroxy will take to work?

Thanks
Abby

 
Old 05-03-2004, 10:41 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,124
ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: So sick of feeling SICK....

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbygirl2
I haven't read all the posts in this thread yet, but I will. I just wanted to say that my Dr told me yesterday that she thinks I have low progesterone as well. The past 6 months for me have been horrible. I have hot flashes/cold spells, literally shaking, I feel weak, disorientated, nervous, faintish, and wierd sensations in my circulation, I don't know if that makes sense, I just get these terribly weird feelings. I feel nervous all day and have a hard time sleeping.
I am going to try magnesium, and I just purchased the Perimenopause book witht he peri-zappers(can't remember the name as I am in a major brain fog right now.
We have tested me for everything imagineable(normal) and yesterday I finally took a hormone test. My periods are so irregular that I don't know what this test will reveal. I am currently on 1.25mg of Medroxy, she said I could buy the progesterone cream but it was unavailable in Canada-so I opted for the pills. Is this dose likely to make a difference? She said if I still felt the same after three days I could up it to 2.5mg. I am desperate for help, I have felt so horrible for so long now. Of course we first startedoff with different antidepresants, which didn't work.
I am only 29 and have 2 kids, I don't know if that will make a difference.

Any idea how long the Medroxy will take to work?

Thanks
Abby

Hi Abby. I got my results back from my gyne (female) and my estrogen was normal, my testerone was normal, my dhea was normal but she said my FSH was high, not menopause high, but it was high normal and too high for day 6 which she confirmed was perimenopause. She said I was probably going into ovulatary failure and the reason I feel this way is my hormones are out of whack even though I have a normal estrogen. Estrogen can stay high in the body for sometime before they can detect in blood work. She likes to go on the FSH. She wants to give me something but can't until I take my second mammogram to detect what these abnormal findings were. I know about anxiety, and anxiety can be by itself but generally in women who are age it also comes with the hormonal changes, fluctuations before it is even detected in the bloodstream. It's like PMS, there aren't really any major tests to confirm you have PMS, but they go on how you are feeling before you get your period. So don't believe just the blood work. Go by the way you feel. I'm trembly today too, I told my doc and she says cause the hormones are out of whack. I said it feels like I'm ovulating on day 7, too early and that was her response. Also I have a major UTI, so going to take antibiotics now and I'm sure the IBS will just love that!

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Feeling a little lost.... boro27 General Health 2 04-19-2010 07:40 AM
why does metformin 500mg make me so sick? Jules08 Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) 10 01-24-2009 11:10 PM
Toxic Poisioned,Soooo sick! Doctor doesn't know what is wrong with me. PLEASE HELP. startracks Open to All Other Health Topics 7 10-05-2008 07:50 AM
Sick and desperate thinbrownline Addison's Disease 9 02-04-2008 07:05 PM
I'm sick of being sick!! AlwyzSick Chronic Fatigue 35 12-13-2006 08:18 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:38 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!