It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2004, 10:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Can you use the progesterone cream during menstrual or throughout the month?

I'm just curious. I was told by my endo and gyne that the natural progesterone creme can be used through the entire month if experiencing crazy peri. I was told that you need to be off of it for a week by others. Would the progesterone creme actually hurt you? Or maybe it would do nothing? I'm just curious, would like to use it again before day 6 or 7 but needed some advice.

Thanks.

Andrea

Old 04-26-2004, 11:25 AM   #2

PennyD HB User
Re: Can you use the progesterone cream during menstrual or throughout the month?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainfante
I'm just curious. I was told by my endo and gyne that the natural progesterone creme can be used through the entire month if experiencing crazy peri. I was told that you need to be off of it for a week by others. Would the progesterone creme actually hurt you? Or maybe it would do nothing? I'm just curious, would like to use it again before day 6 or 7 but needed some advice.

Thanks.

Andrea
I want to know the same thing. My endo prescribed natural progesterone cream made by a compounding pharmacy in our area. She said use it days 14 until start of new cycle. Then my blood work came back with a progesterone reading of 1! So she added a under the tongue pill to my cream and said to use the pill every day and the cream days 14 until menses. I got too much progesterone using both, because my left breast swelled ALOT and both breast and nipples were sore I had pain in my left breast. BUT her nurse told me not to use the cream if I didn't want to, ( and I want to) or to just use enought to make me feel better, just to call and let them know what I decided! A lot of help they are!! So I am basically on my own trying to figure out how much to use. I can tell I don't have enough progesterone now by the way I feel. My GP said she would order a blood test for me to check my progesterone level, the endo nurse said they were not doing anymore blood work they were going to go on how I feel???I am going to my GP to get the blood test tomorrow and then see the results and then talk to the pharmicist who makes the cream and see if he can help me decide. He is very knowledgeable of the natural progesterone. I to would like to use the cream earlier like this is day 8 for me and I would feel better if I were using the cream. I will let you know what he says. My results should be back by Thursday and I will talk with him and see if we can use it earlier or all month.
Penny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2004, 11:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Can you use the progesterone cream during menstrual or throughout the month?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyD
I want to know the same thing. My endo prescribed natural progesterone cream made by a compounding pharmacy in our area. She said use it days 14 until start of new cycle. Then my blood work came back with a progesterone reading of 1! So she added a under the tongue pill to my cream and said to use the pill every day and the cream days 14 until menses. I got too much progesterone using both, because my left breast swelled ALOT and both breast and nipples were sore I had pain in my left breast. BUT her nurse told me not to use the cream if I didn't want to, ( and I want to) or to just use enought to make me feel better, just to call and let them know what I decided! A lot of help they are!! So I am basically on my own trying to figure out how much to use. I can tell I don't have enough progesterone now by the way I feel. My GP said she would order a blood test for me to check my progesterone level, the endo nurse said they were not doing anymore blood work they were going to go on how I feel???I am going to my GP to get the blood test tomorrow and then see the results and then talk to the pharmicist who makes the cream and see if he can help me decide. He is very knowledgeable of the natural progesterone. I to would like to use the cream earlier like this is day 8 for me and I would feel better if I were using the cream. I will let you know what he says. My results should be back by Thursday and I will talk with him and see if we can use it earlier or all month.
Penny

Penny, if I may ask, how old are you? I'm 45, will be 46 in Nov. and I know I need the progesterone. I just wish I could take it today, day 2 of my period.

Old 04-26-2004, 08:26 PM   #4

PennyD HB User

Quote:
Penny, if I may ask, how old are you? I'm 45, will be 46 in Nov. and I know I need the progesterone. I just wish I could take it today, day 2 of my period.
I am 43 will be 44 in September. This started about 14 days before I turned 43 last year. Maybe I will know more within 5 day about my progesterone blood level and some info from the compunding pharmicist.
Penny

Old 04-27-2004, 08:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I am 43 will be 44 in September. This started about 14 days before I turned 43 last year. Maybe I will know more within 5 day about my progesterone blood level and some info from the compunding pharmicist.
Penny

I finally got my female gyne back, yeah! Although she doesn't recommend I have a hormone test until I'm off of the progesterone creme for 1 month. I told her, that was highly unlikely. I need it so badly! And my body knows this.

Old 04-27-2004, 09:46 AM   #6

PennyD HB User

Quote:
I finally got my female gyne back, yeah! Although she doesn't recommend I have a hormone test until I'm off of the progesterone creme for 1 month. I told her, that was highly unlikely. I need it so badly! And my body knows this.
At least having your progesterone checked with you using the cream would let you know your level and you could see if you need more of the cream. I am sure you feel you do not need less of it, but maybe an increase in the dosage would be in order. You have to have a doctor willing to work from the natural side of things to get help from them. Most doctors are more proned to approach things from a pharmological point of view.i.e. HRT using synthetics. I am still planning to get blood work, I thought maybe today but my work schedule won't allow it until tomorrow. I will let you know anything I find out, you please do the same.
Penny

Old 04-27-2004, 03:36 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
At least having your progesterone checked with you using the cream would let you know your level and you could see if you need more of the cream. I am sure you feel you do not need less of it, but maybe an increase in the dosage would be in order. You have to have a doctor willing to work from the natural side of things to get help from them. Most doctors are more proned to approach things from a pharmological point of view.i.e. HRT using synthetics. I am still planning to get blood work, I thought maybe today but my work schedule won't allow it until tomorrow. I will let you know anything I find out, you please do the same.
Penny
You have some good points, Penny. I will see her on Friday and she can take it anyways. She is really good with me using the natural progesterone creme. That was a good point about taking it anyways even being on the Prog creme. Thanks for your input.

Old 04-28-2004, 06:55 AM   #8

PennyD HB User

Let me know how the appointment goes. I am going today to get blood work to get my level checked. I will let you know when I have some info.

Penny

Closed Thread