It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2004, 06:41 AM   #1
Veteran

kc1216 HB User
Andrea - Xanax Vs. Buspar

Hey there,

Was looking into the Xanax vs. Buspar thing and here's some stuff I found on some ******* org site. It says that Xanax is better with panic attacks.

KC

Subject: BuSpar/xanax
Topic Area: Anxiety
Forum: The Mental Health Forum
Question Posted By: ellen on Tuesday, September 21, 1999

About a month and a half ago I began having anxiety attacks--not even so much an attack as a feeling of anxiousness all day. Insomnia, shallow breathing, agigtated, etc. I've been to the dr. and had EKG, echocardiogram, lung x-rays, thyroid ultrasound and bloodwork done. Everything is normal with the exception of being diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroiditis. I've been put on synthroid, which I take daily. My doc. also prescribed me xanax 0.25mg to help me sleep. I've been told and have read that I could be experiencing anxiety due to the thyroid problem, but since it takes a month for the synthroid to take effect, I won't know if that will help for another 2 weeks or so. Since then, my anxiety is getting worse. I saw an assoiciate of my doctors' on Friday and she prescribed BuSpar, which I had filled, but have yet to take. I've heard so many negative things about BuSpar that I'm afraid to take it. I'm out of the xanax and want to know that if I get another prescription for that, would it be a problem to take it with the BuSpar--assuming I decided to take that. Also, do you know of any studies that show the effectiveness of BuSpar. And finally is it possible for Hashimotos Thyroiditis to cause anxiety/anticipatory anxiety. Sorry so longwinded. Thanks for your help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Answer Posted By: HFHS.MD-AJ on Wednesday, September 29, 1999

Ellen,

I apologise for the delay in replying to your question. Response to our forum has been great and we have to research some questions. I am sorry to hear that your anxiety is getting worse. I have reviewed your previous questions posted on 8/25/99 and 9/3/99, and I agree with the responses offered by HFHS.MD-JM and HFHS.MD-RG. There are clinical studies showing the effectiveness of Buspar in the treatment of anxiety, although it is not an effective anti-panic agent. Xanax as well as a number of antidepressants are effective in panic attacks and generalized anxiety. You may continue Xanax, and probably discuss an increase in dosage with your doctor. Buspar may be taken in combination with Xanax,if recommended by your doctor. I urge you to discuss your concerns further with your physician, and consider referral for cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2004, 07:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Andrea - Xanax Vs. Buspar

Thanks KC. Funny how the thyroid came up in this topic. I had a thyroid condition back in the 80's and had that taken care of. Now, I have a small, small nodule on my left nodule gland but they say it is benign and not producing hormone, they say that my thyroid hormone is normal, but yet my left gland in my throat swells here and there. So I don't know. I went to an endocronologist who said I was perimenopause with some anxiety and then my gyne is an endocronologist too and she says I'm perimenopause and my thyroid was normal. But yet I have alot of signs of thyroid. I had a bad reaction to the antibiotic that my internist gave me for the UTI, I mean bad. 3 hours after taking it, I had a panic attack, then last night woke up shaking all over the place. Saw the side effects online today and it says it will attack the central nervous system, just what I needed, LOL I took Xanax last night and eventually went to sleep, but woke up here and there feeling really anxious. Spoke to my therapist last night too and she thought maybe it was the medicine also. I was doing really well as far as anxiety attacks but still felt that jitteryness throughout the day. Anyways, I took Tequin and found out that so many people had severe reactions to this drug. Anyways, my internist is just too busy for me so I am finding another internist. And so is my story. KC: Appreciate you sending this message to me. Thyroid, Menopause, perimenopause and anxiety all seem to have the same similar symptoms. It's so hard to figure it all out.
Thanks again, Andrea

Old 05-27-2004, 08:36 AM   #3
Veteran

kc1216 HB User

I'll Amen that! The way everything is tied together, it is still more confusing. So you are on an antibiotic that can attack the nervous system?! I was on sulfa tabs which made me sick to my stomach but that's about it. The Pyrdium Plus gave me the panic attacks - that was like a prescription Uristat but it had butobarbitol in it and some other thing and I think that was what started my initial attacks.

What is Tequin?
kc

Old 05-27-2004, 09:39 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainfante
Thanks KC. Funny how the thyroid came up in this topic. I had a thyroid condition back in the 80's and had that taken care of. Now, I have a small, small nodule on my left nodule gland but they say it is benign and not producing hormone, they say that my thyroid hormone is normal, but yet my left gland in my throat swells here and there. So I don't know. I went to an endocronologist who said I was perimenopause with some anxiety and then my gyne is an endocronologist too and she says I'm perimenopause and my thyroid was normal. But yet I have alot of signs of thyroid. I had a bad reaction to the antibiotic that my internist gave me for the UTI, I mean bad. 3 hours after taking it, I had a panic attack, then last night woke up shaking all over the place. Saw the side effects online today and it says it will attack the central nervous system, just what I needed, LOL I took Xanax last night and eventually went to sleep, but woke up here and there feeling really anxious. Spoke to my therapist last night too and she thought maybe it was the medicine also. I was doing really well as far as anxiety attacks but still felt that jitteryness throughout the day. Anyways, I took Tequin and found out that so many people had severe reactions to this drug. Anyways, my internist is just too busy for me so I am finding another internist. And so is my story. KC: Appreciate you sending this message to me. Thyroid, Menopause, perimenopause and anxiety all seem to have the same similar symptoms. It's so hard to figure it all out.
Thanks again, Andrea
Andrea,

I wonder if alot of your problems could be due to your thyroid? Do you ever read the posts on the thyroid board here? There are a lot of people who have hypo symptoms, but whose doctors pronounce their results "normal." Most woman do not feel good if they are in the low range of the "'normal" interval, and need to be in the upper third. Have you recently been tested? Did you doctor do more than just TSH? You need to have your Free T3 and Free T4 tested as well - those are the numbers that will really tell whether you need to be treated. Especially now since you say you throat swells. Too many doctors are severely undereducated about thyroid. If you could get those tests done and post the results, we could help you interpret.

Throwing in a little bit of data on the xanax and buspar debate. Not sure how relevant this is because men's bodies probably react differently to these things. But my DH has suffered for 20 years with generalized anxiety - he got started on xanax and had the most terrible problems getting off of it. He's tolerated buspar much better and has been on it for about 15 years now. Though he did not have panic attacks - more like generalized anxiety, and the other poster did say that xanax is better for panic attacks. But just wanted to share this piece of data since you said you heard negative things about buspar.

Nornie

Old 05-27-2004, 10:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nornie
Andrea,

I wonder if alot of your problems could be due to your thyroid? Do you ever read the posts on the thyroid board here? There are a lot of people who have hypo symptoms, but whose doctors pronounce their results "normal." Most woman do not feel good if they are in the low range of the "'normal" interval, and need to be in the upper third. Have you recently been tested? Did you doctor do more than just TSH? You need to have your Free T3 and Free T4 tested as well - those are the numbers that will really tell whether you need to be treated. Especially now since you say you throat swells. Too many doctors are severely undereducated about thyroid. If you could get those tests done and post the results, we could help you interpret.

Throwing in a little bit of data on the xanax and buspar debate. Not sure how relevant this is because men's bodies probably react differently to these things. But my DH has suffered for 20 years with generalized anxiety - he got started on xanax and had the most terrible problems getting off of it. He's tolerated buspar much better and has been on it for about 15 years now. Though he did not have panic attacks - more like generalized anxiety, and the other poster did say that xanax is better for panic attacks. But just wanted to share this piece of data since you said you heard negative things about buspar.

Nornie
In the book, "Wisdom of Menopause" by Christine Northrup, there's a section about thyorid function. She writes about how your thyroid test can show up normal on tests, but the thyroid could not be functioning right during peri-meno and, as a result, you have all the symptoms of hypo-thyroid. So, often you're told your thyroid is fine. I really believe the extreme fatigue I was experiencing was the result of this. (I am hypo, take med, and my tests came back within range.) I also have 6 nodules in my thyroid!

I made copies of what she wrote and gave it to my drs (my GP and Endo dr.) My GP just filed it away and my Endo said there's a lot of controversary over this. The Endo said the same thing when I asked about using progesterone cream. (I don't intend to go back to this Endo dr.). I got really frustrated when I was going to all these drs. trying to find out what was wrong with me.

As for Buspar, a woman dr. (who had peri-meno experience) who works at a de-tox center (friend of my sister) recommended that I take Buspar for anxiety instead of the Ativan. Said it was less addicting and much better than other anxiety meds. but my GP wouldn't prescribe it to me - said for me to continue taking the Ativan b/c I was on it already.

Just wanted to share this bit of info with you guys!

Molly

Old 05-27-2004, 10:58 AM   #6
Veteran

kc1216 HB User

Hi Molly,

I heard great things about Ativan - do you have any side effects and how often do you take it?

kc

Old 05-27-2004, 11:41 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1216
I'll Amen that! The way everything is tied together, it is still more confusing. So you are on an antibiotic that can attack the nervous system?! I was on sulfa tabs which made me sick to my stomach but that's about it. The Pyrdium Plus gave me the panic attacks - that was like a prescription Uristat but it had butobarbitol in it and some other thing and I think that was what started my initial attacks.

What is Tequin?
kc
It is similar to Cipro or Levaquin. They are in the same family except Tequin is a gatifloxacin.

Old 05-27-2004, 11:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nornie
Andrea,

Nornie
did I say I heard negative things about buspar? i don't think so, just thought it might not be for me. I did post my results on the thyroid board and someone came back and thought they were low normal. I've been fighting this thyroid thing for a while now and none of the doctors want to listen. I went to a doctor on Mary Shimon's site and she was really negative and she didn't want to listen. So, I don't know what else to do regarding the thyroid. Thanks for your response.
Andrea

Old 05-27-2004, 11:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly123
In the book, "Wisdom of Menopause" by Christine Northrup, there's a section about thyorid function. She writes about how your thyroid test can show up normal on tests, but the thyroid could not be functioning right during peri-meno and, as a result, you have all the symptoms of hypo-thyroid. So, often you're told your thyroid is fine. I really believe the extreme fatigue I was experiencing was the result of this. (I am hypo, take med, and my tests came back within range.) I also have 6 nodules in my thyroid!

I made copies of what she wrote and gave it to my drs (my GP and Endo dr.) My GP just filed it away and my Endo said there's a lot of controversary over this. The Endo said the same thing when I asked about using progesterone cream. (I don't intend to go back to this Endo dr.). I got really frustrated when I was going to all these drs. trying to find out what was wrong with me.

As for Buspar, a woman dr. (who had peri-meno experience) who works at a de-tox center (friend of my sister) recommended that I take Buspar for anxiety instead of the Ativan. Said it was less addicting and much better than other anxiety meds. but my GP wouldn't prescribe it to me - said for me to continue taking the Ativan b/c I was on it already.

Just wanted to share this bit of info with you guys!

Molly
Hi Molly. I remember you telling me this. Well, I will ask one of the doctors i go to to run the thyroid again. Just don't know what to do with them related to the thyroid. They just don't listen to me.

Old 05-27-2004, 12:15 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Molly,

I heard great things about Ativan - do you have any side effects and how often do you take it?

kc
Hi KC,
Now, I don't know if Ativan is really that great of a thing! All I know is that all benzo drugs may help with anxiety/panic attacks but they are very addicting and with long-term use, you can have bad withdrawal symptoms. I was prescribed Lorazepham 0.5 mg (generic) long time ago (1996) for anxiety - never took a lot of it. Always got 100 pills per prescription too! It worked, calmed me down, helped me sleep BUT I was always afraid of taking any kind of med, esp. one that is suppose to be addicting. I was also afraid I would end up like my father.

My father was on Ativan 1 mg for over 35 years! No dr. ever took him off of it and we never knew he was taking it. Think he took it originally for anxiety, later to help him sleep. When he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure at age 86, the dr. wanted him off of it suddenly (which was a big mistake). He ended up hallucinating big time!

I think the Ativan or Lorazepham is good for situational anxiety but not peri-meno anxiety; in other words, not for long-term use. When I was having peri-meno symptoms (2003), I started to take this med again. I took at most 2 pill a day (which is very little) and not everyday - just when I thought I needed it. My dr. said not to exceed anymore than 4 pills a day. I think I had dry mouth from it but then I don't remember having dry mouth when I took it back in 1996. Because I was feeling so crappy, I got confused whether it was peri-meno symptoms or withdrawal symptoms I was experiencing (even tho realistically I knew I wasn't taking it long enough to get withdrawal). The pill is really tiny and I would cut it in half or in quarters - I took pinches of it. It helped when I had intense internal body shakes in the middle of the night. For long-term use, I was put on the Paxil CR - once I was on that, I didn't need the Lorazepham anymore.

Molly

Old 05-27-2004, 12:49 PM   #11
Veteran

kc1216 HB User

Hi Molly,

I posted before but I lost it somehow. What is the difference between Paxil and Paxil CR?

I was taking 2 xanax a day a while back and now I don't need one every day anymore, but if I feel an attack coming on, I fight it until about 4 or 5 and then take a xanax. Seems to do wonders but I get this xanax crash about 5 hours afterwards - makes me real tired by then - can't be like that at work! At home it's okay - I don't care what anyone thinks there!

kc

Old 05-27-2004, 03:01 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hi Molly,

I posted before but I lost it somehow. What is the difference between Paxil and Paxil CR?

I was taking 2 xanax a day a while back and now I don't need one every day anymore, but if I feel an attack coming on, I fight it until about 4 or 5 and then take a xanax. Seems to do wonders but I get this xanax crash about 5 hours afterwards - makes me real tired by then - can't be like that at work! At home it's okay - I don't care what anyone thinks there!

kc
LOL, there's no place like home! LOL Paxil is a anti-depressant, one of the originals and paxil cr is also except it is control released, I believe. Molly would know better, she's on it. I was thinking about asking for that one, I don't know, seems to work for Molly.

Old 05-27-2004, 03:03 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Molly,

kc
Hi KC,
The Paxil CR is time-release while I guess Paxil is not. I take the Paxil CR 1X a day at the same time each day. It makes some people sleepy so they take it at night-time. Because I was already having fatigue when I started taking it, I don't know if it was a side effect or just the way I was feeling. I felt better after being on it for a week. Some find it hard to believe b/c it is suppose to take effect 4-6 weeks, but I have always been sensitive to meds anyway.

I'm so glad I work from home. If I worked outside, there would've been no way I could have even gone in for months.

Molly

Old 05-27-2004, 04:36 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainfante
LOL, there's no place like home! LOL Paxil is a anti-depressant, one of the originals and paxil cr is also except it is control released, I believe. Molly would know better, she's on it. I was thinking about asking for that one, I don't know, seems to work for Molly.
Hi Andrea,
The Paxil CR is also helping Penny who got on it after we discussed it on this board. She didn't have any side effects either (or least not that I remember her saying). You might want to give it a try - start at the lowest dosage which is 12.5mg. If it makes you tired, take it at night; if it dosen't make you tired, take it during the day. My dr. said it was ok to take an anti-anxiety med while on this Paxil CR - eventually, you will not need it b/c the Paxil will help rid the anxiety too. Check out Paxil CR on the web - it is suppose to help with some pre-menstrual symptoms - forget what it is called (something like PMDD). It has helped several other women friends I know - none of them had side effects but, of course, keep in mind everyone reacts differently to meds.

I NEVER thought I be taking an anti-depressant but desperate times means I had to take desperate measures!

Hope you'll start feeling better soon!!!

Molly

Old 05-27-2004, 06:03 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly123
Hi Andrea,
The Paxil CR is also helping Penny who got on it after we discussed it on this board. She didn't have any side effects either (or least not that I remember her saying). You might want to give it a try - start at the lowest dosage which is 12.5mg. If it makes you tired, take it at night; if it dosen't make you tired, take it during the day. My dr. said it was ok to take an anti-anxiety med while on this Paxil CR - eventually, you will not need it b/c the Paxil will help rid the anxiety too. Check out Paxil CR on the web - it is suppose to help with some pre-menstrual symptoms - forget what it is called (something like PMDD). It has helped several other women friends I know - none of them had side effects but, of course, keep in mind everyone reacts differently to meds.

I NEVER thought I be taking an anti-depressant but desperate times means I had to take desperate measures!

Hope you'll start feeling better soon!!!

Molly
Hi Molly. Yes, I'm going to ask my gyne to switch me to Paxil CR or Zoloft, lowest mg. Actually, mentally I feel much better, I just had a bad reaction to the antibiotic the doctor gave me, rash, nervousness, tremors, etc. I took a pinch Xanax last night and this afternoon. Maybe I'll take another pinch tonight, don't know yet. Went to the park with my little one and sat outside and read a book called, Don't Let Death Ruin Your Life. I'm already getting some wonderful vibes from it. I did more research and understand that the internal shakes are a part of perimenopause and menopause. Have no clue where my period is, spotted about a week and a half ago, hopefully that wasn't my period cause I'm still using the progesterone creme. LOL OH well! I've been taking half the dosage my doc gave me and I should use all the dosage of the generic Prozac but I heard Zoloft was pretty good to for people who are naturally energetic. It does good to use the anti-anxiety drugs in the beginning with the anti-depressant, helps it to work better, I guess. The Prozc didn't make me tired, layed me back moments when I first took it. I think anxiety runs its course too through perimenopause. Thanks for your imput, but I'm confused now if I want Zoloft or Paxil Cr. LOL I will look at their purposes again. I think all the SSRI drugs are good for PMS, PMMD, Perimenopause and Menopause. My girlfriend takes Lexapro and she takes Klonopin every now then for restless leg syndrome. But she's been on it longer and she says hers is beginning to work. Thanks for all of your help. Now if I switch drugs, does this mean I have to wait another 4-6 weeks before it works? I'm understanding by someone else who posted on here, that Prozac was good but it was more of an up anti-depressant where Zoloft was good for A Personalities, and it can make you more relaxed. I know they use Zoloft for Post Traumatic STress Syndrome. Thanks again.
Andrea

Closed Thread