It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2004, 07:55 PM   #1
Inactive

beautyqueen911 HB User
Wink Chasteberry (Vitex), Progesterone Cream, Vitamin B6

What a great board!! I have been using naturally compounded progesterone cream for the last 8 months. I am 48, and when I first started taking it, I had horrible perimenopause symptoms. It seemed to make a huge difference until December. Then I started with the mood swings, the irregular periods, bloating, etc. all over again. I heard that Chasteberry, or Vitex as it is more normally called, is better than using the Progesterone cream. Has anyone tried this, how much do you take, what has it helped or made worse, and does it have any side effects? Also, someone told me that taking Vitamin B6 would help with mood swings - is this true? I don't want to go on any meds, so trying to find vitamins and herbal remedies that will help. Thanks so much~!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2004, 08:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Chasteberry (Vitex), Progesterone Cream, Vitamin B6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautyqueen911
What a great board!! I have been using naturally compounded progesterone cream for the last 8 months. I am 48, and when I first started taking it, I had horrible perimenopause symptoms. It seemed to make a huge difference until December. Then I started with the mood swings, the irregular periods, bloating, etc. all over again. I heard that Chasteberry, or Vitex as it is more normally called, is better than using the Progesterone cream. Has anyone tried this, how much do you take, what has it helped or made worse, and does it have any side effects? Also, someone told me that taking Vitamin B6 would help with mood swings - is this true? I don't want to go on any meds, so trying to find vitamins and herbal remedies that will help. Thanks so much~!
I heard vitamin B6 was good also. I don't take it, made me naseaus. I use the natural progesterone creme also. It can cause breakthrough bleeding sometimes, you have to try to regulate it, like using the same amount everyday until close to your period. I heard about the chastenberry also and want to know how much to use too. There was an article in Health Magazine about this. I'll go back and read it and see how much it says to drink. The writer said it was good to balance hormones.

Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2004, 06:45 PM   #3

Glassy One HB User

I have used Vitex and progesterone cream to control heavy bleeding. In fact, I just sent DH out to buy some Vitex for me. A little nervous to leave the house. :-((

B complexes make me feel icky, so I haven't gone that route yet.

Old 06-08-2004, 07:43 PM   #4
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

So have you stopped with the natural Progresterone? I have done it for a year and I think it helped regulate my periods and overall was positive. But now I haven't had a period in 3 months and feel bloated and generall really bad. I thought the progresterone would help but it hasn't. I did have mocke PMS for a week and thought my period was coming- cramps, breast tenderness but nothing.
Are you going to continue to take the progesterone? How much doy ou take daily? What does it do for you>

Old 06-08-2004, 08:18 PM   #5

Glassy One HB User

The progesterone I used was in cream form. I used it for about a month or so and was taking the Vitex also. Things settled down, and I finished off the bottle of Vitex, then left off both of them. Everything's been swell for about 8-12 months - a semi-regular period for a few months, then nothing for 6 months. Now this. So I'm back on the Vitex to see if that will settle things down again. If not, I'll add the cream back in, but I'm hopeful that the chasteberry will do the trick. To keep other peri symptoms at bay (like hot flashes), I take black cohosh which works well for me.

Old 06-08-2004, 09:22 PM   #6
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

How much chasterberry were you taking a day (mg.)? I am intersted in trying it but am not sure about dosage. I also was taking natural cream progestrone from Life Extension (1/8- 1/4 teaspoon daily) Seemed to work well too- but I also was under the care of an accupuncurist and was taking herbs for liver and adrenals, I felt great even lost weight and kept it off easiy. But then I stoped seeing him and eventually I felt bad. Now the symptoms are worse then ever before. No hot flashes yet but everything else and so tired, weak, and unmotivated.
Anyway, please share how much chasteberry you were taking and how you figured on that dose. Thanks

Old 06-09-2004, 08:40 AM   #7

Glassy One HB User

I just followed the suggested dosage on the bottle. Last time I took it, I purchased at a small local shop where the owner was well acquainted with the lines she carried. She recommended a brand (which was probably Kal or Solaray), and I tried it. Now, since I'm out of town for the week, I only had access to GNC, so currently I'm taking the "fingerprinted" version which is 500 mg per capsule. I take two per day. Last night when I started on it again, I took both of them at once. This morning, I took one. And I'll take the second with dinner tonight. If this stuff works as well as last time, things should settle down (meaning, become more manageable) in 3 days or so.

I also have a fairly good collection of herbal books which I consult from time to time. You might try your local library or even the internet to read up on suggested amounts to take.

Old 06-09-2004, 10:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

snodove HB User

Hi, I thought about taking this. If I can find some. Not sure where to look. I am sure the local drugstore would have it. Have you noticed that it has helped.
Thanks, Polly

Old 06-09-2004, 02:26 PM   #9

Glassy One HB User

Yes, it works very well for me. Any health food store or supplement place would carry it. If you have a GNC - General Nutrition Center in a nearby mall - they also have it.

Old 06-10-2004, 09:49 AM   #10
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

Glassy One,
Can you tell us exactly what the chasteberry did for you? I mean what positive results did you feel? And did it take awhile to feel them?
I am interesting in it and have read about it in health journals- is it good for someone who has not had a period in 3 months!

Old 06-10-2004, 10:22 AM   #11
Inactive

beautyqueen911 HB User

I found this yesterday at Sangster's here in Canada and also at GNC. I think I'm going to pick some up and just give it a try. I am also still using my progesterone cream as well. We'll see what happens. Have you all taken both at the same time with good results?

Old 06-10-2004, 08:53 PM   #12

Glassy One HB User

I had excessive bleeding during my period. I've become irregular. Sometimes a very light period, and then about every six months a real gusher (sorry to be so graphic). The first time this happened, I freaked even though everything I read and was told assured me that this was normal during perimenopause. By taking the Vitex, the excessive bleeding stopped and I had a more normal period. The first time I took it, I saw results in 3 days. This time, I had results the next day. So according to what I've read, it balanced me out so things could get back to normal. HTH

Old 06-10-2004, 08:55 PM   #13

Glassy One HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautyqueen911
...Have you all taken both at the same time with good results?
Yes, first time I needed to use them, I used both. This last time, just the Vitex.

Old 06-10-2004, 09:27 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

I also took a B complex that made me sick, so I bought a bottle of B-6 in 50 mg tablets. It does not make me sick like the B complex formula did. I buy a bottle of 100 tablets at Target for $1.64! 250 tablets of the B complex that made me feel sick was $9.99.

Old 06-11-2004, 06:59 AM   #15
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

Is it good for someone whohas not had a period in 3 months!

Closed Thread