It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2004, 01:45 AM   #1
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User
Low estrogen and progesterone

It was as I figured it would be. I have so many symptoms of low estrogen and it took me 6 months to convince my Dr to test my hormones.
I don't know how low, my Dr just said that both estrogen and progesterone were quite low. I am not sure what to think of this. She didn't offer me any meds or advice other than to say "sometimes women as young as there 30's can experience menopause symptoms".

I get a period about every 4 months, major hot flashes, hair falling out and many more. I am only 29 years old and I have had these symptoms for about 6 yrs now.
Where do I go from here? What are my options, does anyone know?
Does this mean I am simply in perimenopause? Or is something more sinister at play here? Any ideas?

Also, I thought the norm was when either estrogen or progesterone were low then the other would be elevated. Both are low in my case.

Thanks, I hope you can shed some light on this for me.

Abby

Last edited by abbygirl2; 06-16-2004 at 01:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2004, 09:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Low estrogen and progesterone

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbygirl2
It was as I figured it would be. I have so many symptoms of low estrogen and it took me 6 months to convince my Dr to test my hormones.
I don't know how low, my Dr just said that both estrogen and progesterone were quite low. I am not sure what to think of this. She didn't offer me any meds or advice other than to say "sometimes women as young as there 30's can experience menopause symptoms".

I get a period about every 4 months, major hot flashes, hair falling out and many more. I am only 29 years old and I have had these symptoms for about 6 yrs now.
Where do I go from here? What are my options, does anyone know?
Does this mean I am simply in perimenopause? Or is something more sinister at play here? Any ideas?

Also, I thought the norm was when either estrogen or progesterone were low then the other would be elevated. Both are low in my case.

Thanks, I hope you can shed some light on this for me.

Abby
Hi Abby. It's me Andrea. We've posted messages to each other on other sites. I would definitley go see another gyne. You should be on hormones, like birth control pill to regulate your hormones. Otherwise, if your hormones keep dropping, you will soon be in menopause. Yes, seems as though with your hormones as low as they are, you would be in a perimenopause state of being. Please, go see someone else. At your age, your doctor should have given you some type of hormone to balance and bring them higher. If you are planning to have children, you would want to regulate these hormones. Let me know your feelings here.

Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2004, 09:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Also Abby, have you had your thyroid checked? Sometimes, if the thyroid is not in balance, you will experience hair loss and hot flashes. Also it will affect your hormones and your period.

Andrea

Old 06-16-2004, 03:30 PM   #4
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User

Andrea, Nice talking to you again...

I thought it was kind of odd that she didn't offer to do anything about it. I have had my thyroid checked many many times and it was checked again this time. I have so many hyperthyroid symptoms that I can't believe it comes back normal...I even have an enlarged thyroid but the tests always say 'normal'.
I am done having children(have 2) so that isn't a big concern, but I would really just like to feel better.

Thanks so much for your response.
Take care,
Abby

Old 06-16-2004, 03:53 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User

What symptoms are youi having abby?

Old 06-16-2004, 06:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbygirl2
Andrea, Nice talking to you again...

I thought it was kind of odd that she didn't offer to do anything about it. I have had my thyroid checked many many times and it was checked again this time. I have so many hyperthyroid symptoms that I can't believe it comes back normal...I even have an enlarged thyroid but the tests always say 'normal'.
I am done having children(have 2) so that isn't a big concern, but I would really just like to feel better.

Thanks so much for your response.
Take care,
Abby

I know! I've had my thyroid checked a zillion times too and it's normal. I had hyperthyroidism back in the 80's, so the symptoms I have and had are so similar. My thyroid is enlarged also and I have a very very small nodule on it. But what can I do, they say it's normal and have seen many doctors on this. So I am accepting the anxiety now and also the perimenopause.

Andrea

Closed Thread