It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2004, 08:31 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Eye twitches, muscle twitches

Hi. Just curious if anyone here is getting eye twitches or muscle twitches? I understand it can be apart of the program between hormones, stress and anxiety. My girlfriend who is 51 is beginning to experience the electrical shocks under the skin while going through meno. Just curious. I try to not let it bother me, but it can be annoying.

Andrea

Old 06-17-2004, 08:48 AM   #2
Veteran

kc1216 HB User
Re: Eye twitches, muscle twitches

Hey there!
I get the eye twitches from time to time - it's not like a full blink, it like flutters and I can't help it - right eye. I just thought it was from not sleeping right or the eyes tired from the pc at work. Have had them for about a year now. I am pretty self-conscious about it when it happens. My glasses haven't solved the problem either.
kc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2004, 09:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1216
Hey there!
I get the eye twitches from time to time - it's not like a full blink, it like flutters and I can't help it - right eye. I just thought it was from not sleeping right or the eyes tired from the pc at work. Have had them for about a year now. I am pretty self-conscious about it when it happens. My glasses haven't solved the problem either.
kc
I'm told eye twitches are usually caused from fatigue. Had it several times in my life. One eye usually, and it's the muscle right under the eye above the cheek area or the eye lid part. Other people can see it jumping around too. Don't think it is anything to worry about.... Since we all seem to be sitting in front of the PC posting all day long, we do have remind ourselves to take eye breaks! I am still being treated for dry eyes and the dr. said to "look away at something a distance away" every 1/2 hr. Trust me, you don't want to have a dry eye condition...it a royal pain in the butt!

molly

Old 06-17-2004, 10:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1216
Hey there!
kc
LOL, your glasses, my contact lenses. I noticed the eye twitches and muscle twitches related to changes in hormones and anxiety. How about you?

Andrea

Old 06-18-2004, 12:17 PM   #5

Tucson844 HB User

Hi. I'm so glad I saw this message! Thought I was losing my mind. My left eye has been twitching for awhile. It's not visable to anyone but I can feel it. My Mom and husband thought I was losing it. Never thought that it could be related to hormones. I have been having hotflashes constantly for the last month and didn't have a mensus this month either. Happy Birthday to me! Turned 47 on the 27th of last month. Any comments or insights would be apprieciated.
Terry

Old 06-18-2004, 03:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Tuscon. It is so nerve wrecking, isn't it? I noticed that I had it while I was out eating lunch. It has alot to do with stress movements, like even when I rub my face, my left eye might twitch or right under it. LOL Someone on the panic board told me that B-12 was good for it. Maybe we should try it. But it will calm down once we get the anxiety to calm down and our body desensitizes. It's just aggravating sometimes, especially when I'm talking to someone and I become aware of it. Duh!

Andrea

Old 06-18-2004, 04:31 PM   #7

Tucson844 HB User

Hi Andrea! Thanks for the reply. I already take a "Under the Tongue" B12 supplement from Trader Joes and a multiple vitamin every day. Have been doing this for almost 3 yrs. Just called yesterday and made an appointment with GYN. Too bad I can't get in until Sept. At this point I'm pretty miserable and don't know what to do. My Mom bought me a bottle of Black Cohosh and I started that yesterday. The hot flashes are so bad I carry a paper towel in my pocket to mop up! Pretty pathetic! Sorry to whine. Got to go get ready for a dinner engagement. Thanks again for the reply and have a great weekend! Terry

Old 06-18-2004, 05:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson844
Hi Andrea! Thanks for the reply. I already take a "Under the Tongue" B12 supplement from Trader Joes and a multiple vitamin every day. Have been doing this for almost 3 yrs. Just called yesterday and made an appointment with GYN. Too bad I can't get in until Sept. At this point I'm pretty miserable and don't know what to do. My Mom bought me a bottle of Black Cohosh and I started that yesterday. The hot flashes are so bad I carry a paper towel in my pocket to mop up! Pretty pathetic! Sorry to whine. Got to go get ready for a dinner engagement. Thanks again for the reply and have a great weekend! Terry

I get the hot flashes too and the muscles twitches and the eye twitch (left eye) and I had the electrical pulses under the skin, etc. You are normal.

Andrea

Old 07-21-2004, 04:27 PM   #9

Marlyns HB User

When I get an eye twitch, I take some magnesium and eat a banana. That seems to help me stop "winking".

Old 07-21-2004, 05:07 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, yep that's me too. Eye isn't twitching right now, but the nerves/muscles jump around by my ankles, thighs, different places in my body. I went through the hot flash craze when everything began. Now I haven't had a period in 2 months. And I'm a regular gal up until Feb of this year.

Andrea

Old 07-23-2004, 06:08 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

I just read this post and I would not have thought that hormones would be causing my left eye to twitch for the last week (I'm still dumbfounded at how hormones affect every organ). I do have a lot of airborne allergies and things are blooming here. Hopefully, it will end soon.

Old 07-24-2004, 08:18 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully
I just read this post and I would not have thought that hormones would be causing my left eye to twitch for the last week (I'm still dumbfounded at how hormones affect every organ). I do have a lot of airborne allergies and things are blooming here. Hopefully, it will end soon.

LOL Oh yeah, my left eye twitches on and off since this peri thing. Also, muscles or nerves twitch through my body, almost at times like electrical shocks. I think that is part of anxiety, or can be but also, when you are going through peri and this is what I've read and researched and also a gyne told me this (female gyne) don't expect a male to tell you this, well, you are withdrawing, similar to a drug addict from estrogen and your estrogen can still be in normal range, hard to say what level would have been normal for you cause we don't know unless we run blood tests every single month from the time we began our menstrual. So as the ovaries are shutting down, you are beginning to withdraw from a very important hormone. Now before this happens, you would have begun to lose Progesterone and that's when you begin to feel the peri beginning, generally in your thirties unless you've had a progesterone problem most of your life like me, then you would have felt those symptoms earlier. But estrogen is more important than progesterone and it really is an important hormone of the body. See, we don't really feel this until we begin to lose it, but it is a hormone and very important one. The other problem with this whole peri thing is, let's say you haven't gotten your period and you finally set a setpoint with that within your body. Then all of a sudden, there is your period. Well, you begin all over again, cause the body keeps setting setpoints for estrogen and progesterone in the body. Hope this makes sense to you. If you read the book, The Pause, you will begin to understand, even though you feel like crap, you will understand how important this hormone is to your body. Well, as you lose this estrogen and your body goes wacko as I put it, your adrenaline glands also produce estrogen and testerone. So you know what, hello anxiety, hello rage and hello feeling like you just want to jump out of your body.

Andrea

Old 07-24-2004, 12:50 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User

I have been reading the book "The pause" you suggested Andrea. It does help you to understand a lot. I too would recomend it. I think a lot of Gyn doctors need to read it.

Jacq.

Old 07-24-2004, 01:00 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqbu
I have been reading the book "The pause" you suggested Andrea. It does help you to understand a lot. I too would recomend it. I think a lot of Gyn doctors need to read it.

Jacq.
Yes, alot of gyne's need to read it, you are very right! Also, did u read the book by Dr. Weekes yet?

Old 07-24-2004, 01:52 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User

I have it and have read some. I need to read it more. I have been so into reading "the pause". It really explains alot. It's sad that we have to get our help from each other and books because doctors don't seem to realize how bad this is.
Jacq.

Closed Thread