It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2004, 08:22 AM   #1
Veteran

kc1216 HB User
Can you develop food allergies with Peri?

Good Morning Ladies,

Anyone experience more allergies or food allergies with Peri? This is real strange..... I ate dinner out last night with work collegues in the city. I pretty much ate all the foods I've eaten my whole life. I had antipaste and raviolis with some kind of cream sauce for an appetizer, a veal scallopini dinner and some dessert with espresso in it. I came home last night and the tops of my feet were red and itchy. I thought it was from the high boots I was wearing and thought nothing of it. Well I woke up at 3:30 a.m. with hives the size of nickels covering my feet, legs, arms and chest area - I was itching like crazy!

I woke up my hubby freaking out and immediately went into a full blown panic attack - I thought my breathing was going to close up because I have heard that happen with people who have food allergies. I ended up taking benedryl along with a xanax and fell back to sleep around 5. I have NEVER had food allergies before and I've eaten all this before as well. Anyone experience this?

Very very strange, huh?

kc

Old 06-18-2004, 08:27 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User
Re: Can you develop food allergies with Peri?

I've never heard that as a symptom of peri, but I can say that two of my friends did develop food allergies during that time. They are post-meno now and the particular food allergies remain.

I did read however that we could develop food allergies at any time in our lives - doesn't matter if we've eaten the offending food many times before without problems. So it could just be that.

Nornie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2004, 08:40 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User

On Dr. Phils wesite it list allergies has a symptom of peri. It doesn't specify food or what type of allergies. Hope it is cleared up.

Old 06-18-2004, 09:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

KC: I develop rashes too at times. I've even become allergic to antibiotics that I've never become allergic to in the recent past. Alot of food bother me that I haven't had reactions to before all of this either. Your body becomes very sensitive during perimenopause and also very sensitive after anxiety attacks. I would have had a panic attack too if that were me. And I've had panic attacks when viewing rashes after the antibiotics cause our mind just takes off, giving us the fear. I would also consider discussing this with your gastro about maybe aciphex, although I've not heard of people getting this, but you may have had a reaction with medicine along with certain foods. Just a guess, heard this can happen. With anxiety and gastro problems, I would stay away from all acid foods, tomatoe sauce especially. Do not mix alcohol with any of the drugs you are taking right now and please, keep us informed on how you are doing. I'm actually worried about you now.

Andrea

Old 06-18-2004, 10:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hey KC,
I don't think peri can cause you have food allergies. You can just develop food allergies any time in your life. If it's food allergies, the hives would've gone away within 24 hours. Did the Benedryl help? If the hives are still hanging around, it is probably not food allergies but just.... HIVES!

I am the Queen of Food Allergies - allergic to 4 food groups (dairy, wheat, corn, legumes) and also have had hives many times in my life! And my hives have been EXTREME! With food allergies, I get congested and have to cough up. My hives come on for no reason at all and also if there's an extreme stressful situation that was happening to me. The hives don't go away with Benedryl either. It lasts a long, long time...hate it, esp. when I get it on my face. I can also how itchy you can get - had hives from head to toe, front and back! So, I know what you mean by being itchy!!!

Each person reacts differently to food allergies - someone who has a real severe allergy might have the throat closing in on them so don't worry yourself sick thinking that will happen to you - it can, but not necessarily! And if it were to happen, it would happen right when you're eating the food. I had that once only and it is scary!

Molly

Old 06-18-2004, 10:44 AM   #6
Veteran

kc1216 HB User

Thanks for the comfort Ladies. I'm actually better - hives are gone but just a little rash left on my wrists, forearms and behind the knees - it was weird I'll tell ya! It must have been something I ate. I've been on the aciphex for a couple of weeks now and I've been okay with that. I don't drink so it can't be alcohol - unless there was some in the desert last night - did taste like there was. I haven't had to take another benedryl today so far.

I remember chestnuts being in the sauce that was over the veal I ate. My husband says he developed some allergies to food which he used to be able to eat all the time. Now he can't eat bananas, nuts of any kind and certain fruits - says it gives him hives on the roof of his mouth. My mom-in-law said she gets that from time to time and the benedryl helps. I'm just a total zombie at work though!

So maybe next time I'm in the store, I'll buy some chestnuts, roast them (yummy), eat a few and see what happens. I used to be real allergic to my cat but now I can rub my face all over her. Used to be allergic to wool but fine with it now so maybe I'm just changing as I age.

But I do appreciate the replies and the comfort! During my attack last night I kept talking myself into calming down - helped some but the xanax really helped, not mention thinking of all you guys - it was a great comfort. Plus hubby kept saying that the panicky part was all manifested in my mind which helped.

Thanks Ladies!
kc

Old 06-18-2004, 12:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi KC,
If the hives are gone, it is probably something in the food. It would be hard to pinpoint what it is that you had a reaction to. Just be more aware now when you're eating cheese or a wheat product (pasta) since you had Italian last night (yummy. Dairy and wheat allergies are very common. You probably didn't need the Xanax - Benedryl alone would've done the job - knocked you out for the night! You'll stop feeling woosie by tonight....

Have a good weekend!

molly

Old 06-18-2004, 03:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1216
Thanks for the comfort Ladies. I'm actually better - hives are gone but just a little rash left on my wrists, forearms and behind the knees - it was weird I'll tell ya! It must have been something I ate. I've been on the aciphex for a couple of weeks now and I've been okay with that. I don't drink so it can't be alcohol - unless there was some in the desert last night - did taste like there was. I haven't had to take another benedryl today so far.

I remember chestnuts being in the sauce that was over the veal I ate. My husband says he developed some allergies to food which he used to be able to eat all the time. Now he can't eat bananas, nuts of any kind and certain fruits - says it gives him hives on the roof of his mouth. My mom-in-law said she gets that from time to time and the benedryl helps. I'm just a total zombie at work though!

So maybe next time I'm in the store, I'll buy some chestnuts, roast them (yummy), eat a few and see what happens. I used to be real allergic to my cat but now I can rub my face all over her. Used to be allergic to wool but fine with it now so maybe I'm just changing as I age.

But I do appreciate the replies and the comfort! During my attack last night I kept talking myself into calming down - helped some but the xanax really helped, not mention thinking of all you guys - it was a great comfort. Plus hubby kept saying that the panicky part was all manifested in my mind which helped.

Thanks Ladies!
kc
Watch the nuts! If you are allergic to nuts, this can be dangerous. So only take a few and have the benadryl handy. Benadryl is great but it wouldn't have taken care of the panic attack. You chose right to take a piece of Xanax with it.

Andrea

Old 06-21-2004, 05:48 AM   #9
Veteran

kc1216 HB User

Hi,

The hives came back on Friday night. Went away again with benedryl. Still a little rashy plus sunburn on top of it My mom said I can just get hives for the heck of it - nothing to cause it, they just come. I don't understand that.

I guess my body is very sensitive these days.

kc

Old 06-21-2004, 07:04 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hi,

The hives came back on Friday night. Went away again with benedryl. Still a little rashy plus sunburn on top of it My mom said I can just get hives for the heck of it - nothing to cause it, they just come. I don't understand that.

kc
YOu might be getting the hives like Idid due to the fact you have a bit of anxiety. Just calm down and pay no attention to them. They will go away.

Andrea

Old 06-21-2004, 08:02 AM   #11
Veteran

kc1216 HB User

Amazing what anxiety can do to a body! When I got them the first time I went into a full blown panic attack. My throat felt like it was closing up and then of course it got worse because in my mind, it wasn't anxiety, it was my throat closing up from an allergic reaction. My husband hates it when I take my xanax but that time he told me to down them w/ the benedryl. He knew it was my anxiety before I did!

Guess he didn't want to be up with me at 3:30 a.m. Can't say I blame him.

You know, besides the little spat at the campground, the hives weren't too bad - I was more relaxed than I am at home.

kc

Old 06-21-2004, 10:04 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

kc
Hi KC,
You are lucky that your hives goes away when you take the Benedryl. I have gotten hives lots of times for no reason at all but can easily be brought on by stress, anxiety, or anything that is upsetting you . Benedryl didn't do anything for me - didn't even make me drowsy during the day!

My hives lasted a long time and nothing seems to rid them except time. I have even gone to a Chinese Herbalist to see if he could give me something too. The herbalist and my dermo both said hives is a sign of inflammation in your body. Herbalist said it was inflammation in the liver...doesn't mean there's a liver disease or anything - just that you body is over-reacting. I find cold compresses help rid the itchies and prevents it from getting worse. Whatever you do, try not to scratch...it will make it worse and will cause it to spread. I have scars on my arm and back from scratching....

molly

Old 06-21-2004, 10:46 AM   #13
Veteran

kc1216 HB User

Hi Molly,

You're not going through the hives now are you?

My husband kept saying the same thing that night - "don't scratch!" I think that is why he didn't care that I took a benedryl AND a xanax - he just wanted me to pass out to leave myself alone. Yeah, I noticed the more I scratch, the more the welts grew. Behind my knees and my ears was the worst! Just hope I don't see those for a while!

kc

Old 06-21-2004, 04:51 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

[
Quote:
QUOTE=kc1216]Hi Molly,

You're not going through the hives now are you?

My husband kept saying the same thing that night - "don't scratch!" I think that is why he didn't care that I took a benedryl AND a xanax - he just wanted me to pass out to leave myself alone. Yeah, I noticed the more I scratch, the more the welts grew. Behind my knees and my ears was the worst! Just hope I don't see those for a while!

kc
[/QUOTE]

Hi KC,
No, don't have hives now but did start having like "heat rash/hives" on my arm from this new sweatshirt that I was wearing over the weekend. Made my skin itch so I started scratching. It turned all red bumpy like. I took off the sweatshirt and put Elidel on it. The Elidel was from my dermo who gave it to me b/c of Eczema....it is to reduce inflammation.

The hives I had couple of years ago came on suddenly. Underneath my eyes were swollen, and bumps on my cheeks. Totally gloss looking. This lasted for a year! I felt so ugly! I think it was from dust - cleaned the garage and didn't wear a mask. Now, when I feel it coming (inflammation), I put cold compresses or even ice on it...then it goes away after a day or two.

Another time I had bad case of hives, it was all over (but not my face tho)...it lasted for about 6 months. Dermo treated me for scabies - but didn't have it. I was so itchy all over, couldn't wear a bra and wanted to just cry when taking a shower b/c the spraying of water would hurt. Took Aveno baths at least 3X a day, was put on Doxepin (sp) which knocked me out at night and made me dopey all day. Dermos will give you some kind of antihistimine to knock you out at night and cortizone cream to prevent itching (which doesn't always work).

If you have little gloves you can wear at night in bed, try that to see if it helps you stop scratching!

What us women have to go through!!

Molly

Old 06-22-2004, 05:35 AM   #15
Veteran

kc1216 HB User

My father had the exact same thing about a month ago. Just got up one day and was scratching. He still is but to a lesser extent. They gave him some pills to take - forgot what they are called. My mom said he was all red - like *****ly heat and it wouldn't go away. He ended up scratching his legs raw and then finally went to the doctor. Doctor couldn't find anything wrong and just said it was hives. Medicine is working. And he's a guy. Strange how our bodies react as we grow old.

Closed Thread