It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2004, 09:07 AM   #1

Sugzze HB User
Headaches Associated With Menopause

Can someone tell me what I can do for the terrible sick headaches that I have once a month during or after my period? I am going through menopause and I have several of the menopausal symptoms, the worst of all is the very sick headache that I have all day long. From what I have been told though, I guess I am lucky that mine does not last any longer than a day. Whenever I take aspirin, etc., it just dosen't help. Thank you so much and a reply will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-21-2004, 10:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User
Re: Headaches Associated With Menopause

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugzze
Can someone tell me what I can do for the terrible sick headaches that I have once a month during or after my period? I am going through menopause and I have several of the menopausal symptoms, the worst of all is the very sick headache that I have all day long. From what I have been told though, I guess I am lucky that mine does not last any longer than a day. Whenever I take aspirin, etc., it just dosen't help. Thank you so much and a reply will be greatly appreciated.
Hi Sugzze,

You have to almost try to entire line of drug store pain killers before you find one that MIGHT help. You could try Tylendol Sinus, Aleve, Advil, Acetaminophen, Evening Primrose Oil. You are lucky it lasts for a day only!

When I was getting my period, I would get headaches a couple of days before the flow came. They would be like sinus headaches....I used to take Tylendol Sinus and it helped...sometimes I have to also take an Alleve before I felt better. Once my period arrived, I was fine.

Now, when I was having my peri-meno symptoms and were getting these bad headaches - I tried EVERY brand of pain killer and none of it worked. Cold compresses on my head and eyes helped some.At this time, I would go to sleep with headaches, wake up with headache and this lasted for 5 months! On top of that, I felt weird, lightheaded, etc.

Once my hormones settled, it seems to have gone away. Haven't had my period for 7 months now but do notice that I still get those old sinus type headaches again but they just last a day or two - but no period. I am taking Evening Primrose Oil everyday b/c it is suppose to help headaches.

So, if yours is just a day and you can't find anything that works, I guess all I can say is to suffer through it???!!

molly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2004, 10:50 AM   #3
Veteran

kc1216 HB User

Hi,

My girlfriend takes Imitrix for those but it's prescription. From what she tells me, they don't make you drowsy or anything. I sometimes get the headaches a day before my period and on it's last day. If it's not the headaches, it is the backaches. What I also find is I am very sensitive to light when I get these headaches so I try to stay in a darkened room when I have time to myself. I get IcyHot and rub it on my temples - Tiger Balm works just as good. I rub it there and on the back of my neck and just lay down with the radio on - don't watch TV - aggravates it. Tylenol and all of the otc meds do not work with me at all. It's not like a sinus headache - it's right on my temples, straight across the top of my head and through my neck.

Hope you feel better soon,
kc

Old 06-21-2004, 04:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Yes, the hormone migraines. I would get something from your doctor for that. They can be a real pain when you get them, I know. I use to get real bad headaches before my periods and sometimes afterwards. I have friends in meno who get these type of headaches and they broke down and took something their doctors gave them.

Andrea

Old 06-23-2004, 12:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi,

I get them also...like a very bad sinus headache and it is usually on one side over my eye. I had them all last year right before my period and then the day of. Same this year and then in March and April didn't have it and instead had intestinal problems. I hated it and believe it or not if given the choice was wishing for the headache back!! Isn't that craz?!! Sure enough as of last month got the sinus headache thing back (watch what we wish for I guess!!) and no intestinal problems this month or last. I have to say for some reason I cope with the headache better and it does not freak me out and make me anxiety ridden as the intestinal woes did.

I use a compress and make sure I am in a room that is darker, as light bothers me when I get them. Since my ears also get plugged with it I take Actifed at night to open my ears and it seems to help the sinus headache too. That and Extra Strength Tylenol.

Hope you feel better soon. We have all been there and know how you feel.

rmc

Closed Thread